Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Flying with a 1 yr old
Expecting_26 posted:
Lilly and I are flying to my moms who lives in CT this September.

I was wondering if any you ladies have traveled with your LO's?
Can you bring their stroller on the airplane? Does it cost to do that? I went on united airlines website and it said that a stroller does not count as a carry on bag but it doesn't specify if they keep it in the plane for use in between flights and if it costs money.

Anyone got any ideas on this one?
TIA

daisy729 responded:
It shouldn't cost you anything to gate check the stroller. So you can take the stroller anywhere in the airport, once you get to the gate to board the plane, the person there will take it and they put it on the plane. Then, when you land, the strollers and other gate checked items will be right there as you walk off the plane.

Also, check the security lines, many have one specifically for families, so you might be able to bypass that huge line.

Expecting_26 replied to daisy729's response:
Thanks!!! That will help alot having that while at the connecting airports

daisy729 replied to Expecting_26's response:
It certainly does! We traveled with Dane when he was about 8 months old, let me know if you have any other questions about what you can and can't take.

Expecting_26 replied to daisy729's response:
Did you keep Dane on your lap? I'm keeping Lilly on my lap.
Did they give you any trouble with milk/formula in a bottle/sippy cup?

mel07430 responded:
We travelled with my DD when she was 9 months old. You bring the stoller right up the plane with you and they store it for the flight. It does not cost extra and does not count toward your baggage.

How long is your flight? We flew from NJ-CA. She slept alot. We had food/snacks/bottles ready for her. It was pretty easy overall....

Expecting_26 replied to mel07430's response:
That sounds so easy and I hope it goes like that for me. The flight is about 4 hours. Plus the 4 hour drive to the airport the day before.. by myself with her...in the car....for 4 hours....yikes..i'm a little scared. At least on the flight my best friend will be with me so I will have help.

leftcoastgirl responded:
Don't know if this is of concern for you, but you can check a car seat either with your regular baggage or at the gate free of charge. It also does not count toward your baggage limit.

And security will let you through with a small amount of formula/milk/juice for your LO - you just need to take it out when you go through. Although I've always found it easier to leave that stuff at home and purchase it at the airport.

Expecting_26 replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
My mom is going to have a carseat ready for me when we get there that way it's one less thing for me to have to worry about. Thank you though!!!

roni090909 responded:
I fly with Tyler alot and with no DH. If you can try to get her to sleep for some of the flight. Also, these were a life saver on our last trip, http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Snack-Catchers-Colors-Vary/dp/B000GB0NZK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1269973057&sr=8-3. You can find them at Target and Walmart. I had one with goldfish and one with Cheerios. Make sure you have a sippy and paci (if LO takes one). And some small toys and introduce them one at a time.

Expecting_26 replied to roni090909's response:
I have the Cheerios one already..it is never empty and never leaves the diaper bag for outings!!! Thanks for the tips!!!!

mel07430 replied to Expecting_26's response:
Sounds like a long day of travelling but you will be fine.

One thing I remember was that changing her diaper was easier if my DH came with me to the bathroom. They have a changing table that folds down so I changed her while he handed me the diaper, wipes etc.

fsuchick1976 responded:
I'm not sure what type of stroller you have, but an umbrella type is much easier to manuever through the airport than the travel system type. It is also a lot easier to fold and put on the belt when going through security.

I recommend going to BRU and buying a gate check bag for your stroller. It will keep it clean under the plane (even if you gate check, it still goes under the plane). You can also shove extra blankets and stuff in the bag, so you don't have to pay for an extra bag.

chrisandjen0717 replied to fsuchick1976's response:
I agree with FSUchick. We bought an umbrella stroller sepcifically for when we flew with DD to Detroit. We got it for $5 at a yard sale so we figured if something happened during travel it wouldn't be a big deal. It was so convenient and easy to fold and unfold and we had no trouble with it on the plane. We left it on the ramp just before we stepped on the plane and the crew took it and stored it and brought it back out after we landed so it was waiting for us when we got off. I don't know if you have a problem with the little harnesses with "leashes" for small kids but we bought one for DD and let her walk/run around the airport before we boarded so she could get some energy out before she was confined to the seat. It worked wonders (along with keeping her awake until we got on the plane) and she slept for part of the flight. We also have one of those portable DVD players we brought along so she could watch movies when she was awake. I went to the dollar store before we left and picked up a few small toys, coloring book, and crayons for the trip. A pinwheel was great because it was quiet and kept her very occupied. I kept them in our closet so when we got on the plane it was the first time she had seen them so since they were "new" they kept her attention longer. Also, since they were cheap it didn't matter as much if one got dropped, broken or lost. Oh, and LOTS of snacks too.

HTH!

Spotlight: Member Stories

It's been a long, hard journey to parenthood. I miscarried at 11w5d in 10/06, at 12w2d in 1/07, had a chemical pregnancy in 7/07, and had an ectop...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.