Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Night time strategy
sarahann1978 posted:
Last night DS woke up at about 3:30am and would not go back to sleep. First I put him in his sleep sack, our house warms up during the day now and is about 78 degrees at bedtime so I hate to start him out in the sack, but then by morning it's back to about 70, so a bit chilly with no blanket. That did not work.

So I went back in and tried rocking him, but again still no sleep. At about 4:30 I caved and gave him some Motrin, finally did the trick. He is teething his last canine tooth, so that was probably the issue.

A few nights ago he woke up at 10:30pm and I tried several different things and nothing was working to get him back to sleep, so finally I gave him some milk and he inhaled that in so fast I realized he must be hungry so I gave him a banana and he gobbled it down. Then went right to sleep.

From the different books I've read they recommend not doing the things I previously mentioned at night because it could make the DC rely on eating, rocking, etc in the middle of the night instead of being able to fall asleep on their own.

I'm wondering what you do if your DC has issues come up in the night. It seems like to me when DS is ok, he sleeps just fine. I don't want him to end up becoming dependant on these things, but I also can't see making him lay there miserable because he's hungry, cold, sore, etc.

What do you do at this age, attend to the needs, or let them CIO?

tamliz08 responded:
Leah's been waking up again every night for the past couple weeks. It's too bad because she used to be a wonderful sleeper. I give her milk in the middle of the night. Some nights she will drink 2 entire sippy cups full of milk throughout the night.

I asked the doctor about it, and she told me that night terrors are very common at this age. She told me not to pick Leah up, but comfort her back to sleep and just let her know I am there. Yeah... that doesn't work for us!

I am almost thinking it could be a growth spurt. She is eating so much during the day, and then drinking a bunch of milk at night, so I guess she just needs more calories!

I guess that wasn't a very helpful reply, but good luck with your little guy's sleep issues!!

Silver623 responded:
Well with DS I did all the things you are doing now and at 3.5 years old, it is still rare that he sleeps through the night. And when he gets up, he comes straight into my room and climbs into my bed. Guess what they say is true about starting these habits. DD is an awesome sleeper but on the rare occasion she does wake up in the middle of the night, I let her cry. She always goes back to sleep on her own within 10 minutes. Thankfully! If I know she is teething or sick though I will go in and try to comfort her if she won't go back to sleep after crying for a long time or gets hysterical. I do always make sure to put her down when she is still awake though. Did not do that with DS.

Both my kids get a snack of cheese, fruit and milk at 7:30, just before bed. I make sure they are full, dry, warm enough and content before going to sleep.

leftcoastgirl responded:
I think you're doing the right thing by following your instincts and taking each situation on a case-by-case basis.

In my own personal experience, I don't give much credence to the idea that LOs will become dependent on something to fall asleep. We co-sleep, and I nursed/rocked LO to sleep for about 18 months. I've seen her slowly shed things like frequent night wakings and needing to be nursed to sleep on her own when she was ready. I have every expectation that she'll leave our bed on her own. And if she doesn't, we'll deal with it when it becomes a problem and not before.

Good luck - sounds like you're doing a great job!

jlynnpaine responded:
Well my DD has finally been sleeping through the night for almost a month now. Yay!
If she started waking up at night again, I would probably start out by just letting her fuss for a few minutes and see if she went back to sleep. If she didn't I would go in and try to soothe her without picking her up. If that didn't work, then I would start checking for problems. Fever, cold or hot, needs a diaper, hungry, thirsty, teething etc. Where she is sleeping so well, I think if she starts waking now there has to be a reason for it so I'd be more inclined to figure out what was wrong that allow her to CIO.
Now if I went in and she settled right down, I'd get her calm and then leave the room again. If she cried, I'd give it a little while and try again, then go from there. If she started trying to play or mess around, I would have no problem letting her CIO because I don't want to encourage her by letting her think she can get up and play in the middle of the night.

cheeezie25 responded:
Your situation sounds alot like mine, only not quite as bad lol! DS will often wake up in the night, and I just rock him back to sleep. If he is awake for more than, say, 90 minutes, I might cave and give him a bottle, but that is rare and hasn't happened in a while *knock on wood*. I, too, am concerned about him becoming dependant on these crutches to get him to sleep, but o man, CIO was a total FAIL in our book! Little man is quite strong willed and can cry for over an hour without letting up. In fact, we have never successfully had him cry it out, which sometimes leaves me in tears haha. he seems to be waking up in the middle of the night less and less recently, so hopefully he is starting to grow out of it?

My thoughts... if the waking is pretty random like this, then I wouldn't be too concerned with doing what you are doing. It may just be isolated teething problems. But if it seems to become habit, I don't think there is any harm in CIO or using other methods to get him back to sleep. And if you find any other methods that work, please let me know!!! LOL

DDK2005 responded:
I feel the same way - you dont want them to become depedent but you also dont want them to be in pain or uncomfortable. I let Ava CIO for 10-15 minutes. If she's still up then I know something is wrong & I will go in and rock her or do whatever it takes to calm her to get back down to sleep. last night I did the BIG NO NO. After getting her back to sleep at 11 she woke up again at 2:30 - I was so tired & my DH had to go to work really early...I couldn't take it & in the bed she went. Where she snuggled right next to be & slept like an angel until 8am.....uuuugh those lil monkeys - gotta love them:)

To me the books can say whatever they want but I want to see what the author will do when she is in the room with a 1 yr old who is screaming and crying at 3am & she has to go to work in the morning...everything always looks better on paper. I think you're on the right track...good luck tonight!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (32), DH Matt (37) Happy to be a SAHM to my two wonderful children! Matt (21 months) born 8-3-2008, 6lbs 8oz, 19.5 in Emily (3 months) born 2-17...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.