Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Poll: sleeping arrangments?
swilwert05 posted:
I am just curious to see who still has lo in a crib, when do you plan on moving to a big bed and what kind of bed?

I know with my 1st dd we moved her at 22 months to a big bed and that move went great. Now that my 2nd dd is 17 1/2 months and hates her crib I would like to move her to a big bed though it maybe a little early yet. Since they share a room we are looking at getting bunk beds since that will free up alot of room. So what are you guys doing?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

bravefan76 responded:
Colton is almost 16 months old and he is still in his crib. I don't plan on moving him anytime soon. He is way to active in his sleep and would probably fall out of bed constantly. Also he would probably get out of bed all night as well. He really likes his crib and doesn't try to climb out or anything and still fits perfectly fine in it. His crib makes into a toddler bed and we will maybe break it down once he is a little over two I would say. Every child is different so I would say what ever works for you and your DD is what you should go with.

KCAimee responded:
My oldest we moved to a toddler bed when she was 21 mo and she did great. Hayden is 21 mo and still in her crib and I have no plans to move her. I've noticed I'm slower to move to the next phase with baby #2....

KatieS83 responded:
my DS is 18 months and loves his crib, we do plan on moving him to a big bed/toddler bed before #2 arrives. 2 cribs is a little much even for me!

Silver623 responded:
I will keep DD in her crib as long as possible. DS jumped out of his crib at 19 months so we converted it to the toddler bed. Moved him to his big boy bed right at 2 years. DD seems pretty content in her crib. Hope that lasts for a LONG Time. :)

MIOB responded:
DS is 18 months and still in the crib. I'm not planning on moving him any time soon unless he starts to try to climb out. He seems pretty content in there.

jlcohen78 responded:
DD is 18 months old and sleeps in bed snuggled right along side of me. We moved her out of her crib into our bed 2 months ago when the frequency of her seizures increased. I'm not sure when we'll move her. Right now I'm content and so is she.

DS never slept in our bed. He was in his crib until he was 26 months old and climbed out.

Ryannbaby responded:
I might get some flack for this ... but Isabella sleeps with us. I know, I know .... this makes me curious, any co-sleepers out there? We really need to get her out of our bed, and at this rate - she will prob never use her crib. She slept in her pack n play bassinet for the first almosy 6 months, and then w us. Anyone previously co-sleep that can offer some tips for the transition?

chrisandjen0717 replied to MIOB's response:
MIOB, that is exactly why we moved DD when she was 18 months old. DH and I laid her down for a nap on New Year's day and we went out to the family room to play with the Mega Blocks she got for Christmas (LOL!!!). Within a couple minutes we heard her knocking on her own bedroom door, little stinker! She must be part ninja because she did it silently. We had no idea she was up to something until she had escaped. The thought of her continuing to climb out and possibly getting hurt was enough to scare DH up into the attic to get out the toddler bed conversion kit. She has done fantastic with her big-girl bed but I cried the first few times I put her in it because I couldn't believe my "baby" was no longer in a crib.

Tweety52076 responded:
DD is 18mo old and I have no plans to move her to a toddler bed anytime soon. She is happy in her crib, likes it in there and hasn't tried to climb out yet. Once I feel like she might try to do that, then we will make the switch but for now we will stick with the crib.

cyn22mull responded:
Christopher will be 2 in May and he is still in his crib. Never has tried to climb out. I have thought about putting him in his toddler bed but he sleeps so good in his crib I am afraid to move him and maybe mess up a good thing, if that makes sense.

Larich_408 responded:
i know most people like to keep their kids in the crib as long as possible for safety reasons but i think if your DD hates her crib she is probably ready for a bed. Around 20 months DS would scream himself to sleep every night for almost 2 months. At 22 months we changed his crib into a daybed because he was getting to tall for the crib. I was DREADING it because he put up such a fight every night to go to bed. Once we changed his crib into the daybed, the crying competely stopped!! I think it was just his way of saying he was ready for a change! lol. Now I wish we had done it sooner! So, I'd say go for it. I don't think 17 months is too young. As long as everything in her room is baby-proofed and safe then she should be fine!

roni090909 responded:
DS is still in a crib and probably will be until around 22 months when i will be moving him to make room for the new baby. Hopefully he won't learn to climb out before then. I like him contained.

stephs_3_kidz replied to roni090909's response:
DS2 is in a bed, and I bough the mesh toddler rails to go around both sides. He sleeps on the bottom bunk, but I feel fine with that, as they are solid wood and don't have a ladder, they have the steps with drawers that go along the sides. It's very secure and sturdy.

He never HAD a crib...always slept in the PNP. Well, he DID have a crib but someone (yes, me) was taking it apart to move out of the girls' room before he was born and I cracked the wood on the leg that holds the brackets. Why, you ask? Because I just "knew" I could move it out of the room with only removing ONE side of the railing.

Um.

Nobody else do that, ok? ;)

So I just bought a really nice PNP and he used that until he moved to his twin bunk.

smileysmom responded:
Have you looked into trundle beds? Not sure how old your oldest is... can she safely get in/out of the top bunk by herself? If not, I'd look at a trundle bed because a) the top bed is not much higher (if at all) than a standard bed and the trundle is much closer to the ground for the youngest one. My friend does this and it works well because they still each have their own beds but they are much safer than bunk beds.... Now having said that - my brother and I used to have bunk beds and we loved them! Our room was TINY though so they were custom built by my dad.... I had to be careful that I didn't hit my head on the ceiling when I sat up because the ceiling vaulted right over my bed!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I live in beautiful British Columbia, Canada. I got married July 29, 2007 after 7 years together. Jarrod is 28, and I am 24. After 1 1/2 years of tryi...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.