Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Mastitis AGAIN? someone PLEASE read!
Larich_408 posted:
APO BFing exchange. I

Ok so here's the story. 2 weekends ago I felt like I was getting an infection in my left breast.. i had flu symptoms and everything.. it eventually went away on its own but then the right breast started hurting. Then that pain went away. So last weekend the same thing happened all over again- I got an infection in my left breast and went on antibiotics. I've been on them for 5 days now and all of a sudden (literally within the past hour) my right breast is KILLING me.. it hurts just to breathe! Oh and it hasn't only been the past 2 weeks that i've had issues- it's probably the 6th time i've had a clogged duct or whatever.

SO I'm really confused as to why it's jumping back and forth between breasts all the time! Like, DD eats often (altho she has been sleeping longer thru the nights but she doesn't go longer than 8 hours), she latches perfectly, I just don't get it! I never had this many problems when I BF my DS so I don't get why the second time around is harder? Plus my letdown hurts ALL the time.. since I had DD 8 weeks ago. Could something else medically be wrong with me to cause this? I guess I'm just getting nervous that there is! TIA!

mommyof12b2 responded:
I get them when DD increases and decreases her nursing. My supply will build up, then see does not eat as much and the milk sits there. That was what use to happen to me. I think as she is more regular it will go away.
Here is an article:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

cduffy responded:
Since you've been on antibiotics for 5 days, I wouldn't imagine it would be a new infection. My guess would be that maybe it's thrush, especially since you said your let down hurt. Have you considered that possibility? That's what it felt like for me when I had thrush. And latch on killed. You could always try gentian violet, which you can get over the counter at walgreens. It's topical, and won't interfere with your antibiotics or anything. It can't hurt anything, and if it doesn't feel better in a few of days of using it, then I would go back to the doc because it probably isn't thrush then. Good luck hon, and hang in there!

HannahTMI responded:
I've had mastitis over ten times. I've lost count how many times. I never had it with my first baby, so it really threw me for a loop. My doctor told me that it just happens like that sometimes. She had it a lot with two of her kids but never with her other two.

Make sure you take all the antibiotic prescribed and keep nursing to clear the infection. You can also try taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar twice a day. It flushes out your system. I mix it into orange juice because it tastes awful alone.

You could have thrush as well. You will need to get treatment for you and baby to keep from passing it back and forth.

Jamelita responded:
I'm glad you posted this because I have some of the same issues. I had mastitis last weekend but thankfully it went away on its own. My letdown hurts most of the time and latch-on is painful sometimes. LO eats a ton and has gained over 5lbs in only 6 weeks of life, so I don't think that's the problem. Are you sure LO is latching properly? Mine is pretty lazy about it and I often have to relatch her several times per feeding (I hear that clicking noise). My first DD was a preemie and it took me months to get her to BF properly and we never had these issues.

Have you talked to your doctor about it?

3boysmom1981 responded:
Lurking...
I've only had full blown mastitis twice but I had problems with recurrent plugged ducts with DS2 and now again with DS3. K What has really helped me is taking Lecithin, it comes in a capsule you can get it at GNC. 2 or 3 times a day. Basically it helps your milk be a little less "sticky" If I stop taking it, within a day or two I get a clogged duct. There is info about it on Kellymom ...Sorry I would give you the link but 2 of my kiddos just started yelling for me :)

Larich_408 replied to 3boysmom1981's response:
thanks for all of the suggestions. it still hurts and it's red and hard but i saw my PCP today and he doesn't think it's an infection if i've already been on antibiotics. i'm also really sick right now (and so is DD) so maybe that's why i'm having so many issues.

for those of you who mentioned thrush, what were your syptoms? i googled it and i don't really feel like that's what i have... unless it's different for some people.

cduffy replied to Larich_408's response:
Mine were just painful/burning let down and latch on. I didn't even go to the doctor because I was pretty sure that's what it was; I just tried out the gentian violet and it took care of it in 3-4 days. My breasts were definitely not sore and hard and red; it was just a deep breast pain/burning sensation, especially with let down and latch on killed! Could be a combo of you fighting off the mastitis and thrush? I don't think it would hurt if you tried the gentian violet; JMO. Hang in there mama.

KityKatK8 responded:
I wrote a whole long response and then the dang thing wouldn't submit! Hopefully I can remember most of my thoughts from before -

First off, thrush, or a yeast infection, can have intense burning and/or pain during the initial latch. I also had intense pain for time after a feeding. Your nipples will be bright pink. I'm kind of suprised your practitioner didn't notice the color. My midwife had me use regular Lotriman for my first bout. Wiped it on my nipples after each feeding and it cleared it up in 10-14 days. Also, the Pedi and my LC said that the Lotriman would be fine for DD if she had thrush (although she never had signs of it).

If the infection gets into your breast you may need a perscription antifungal. I had this for my second bout, during which I had a lot of clogged ducts as well.

Oh, and the LC also recommended washing my nipples with a white vinigar/water mix after each feeding (before the Lotriman, duh) and air drying (I used paper towels, since I didn't have time, but liked the idea). Also, change your nursing pads at each feeding.

I think that expresses all that I was thinking - Oh also get DD checked to see if she has thrush. It really sounds like you have a yeast infection, not mastitis.

GL and I hope you feel better!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Catherine (28). DH (40). DSD (14). DSS (9). DS (17 months). Surprise LO EDD 10/4/10! I am a SAHM/In-Home Daycare Provider. I love, love, love what I ...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.