Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

question for mommas who have 2 or more kids
wilburlbh posted:
i will be induced on april 14th to have my second baby. my son will be 2 in july. i was just wondering if you could tell me a couple stories or suggestions about when you had your second or third, how your other kid reacted. any suggestions or advice would be helpfuL!

fsuchick1976 responded:
DD1 will also be 2 in July. I just had DD2 at the beginning of March. When we first came home, DD1 wasn't sure what to think. She would look at the baby, but that was about it. She is now starting to come around a little. I try to get her involved by asking her to bring me a diaper, a blanket, or even clothes for the baby (everything is on a bookcase in my bedroom right now). She likes helping out. I also try to spend some one on one time with DD1 whenever possible. DD1 will point and say "baby". She also pretends with her doll sometimes when I'm caring for the baby.

DD1 is very possessive of her things. I put the baby in DD1's crib one day so I could help get DD1 dressed. DD1 was not happy. She went over to the crib and yanked out her security blanket. She did not want the baby touching her stuff. I have a feeling that it will be rough when we put the baby in the crib (baby is currently in a bassinet) and transition DD1 to the big girl bed. When I got out DD1's old playmat for the baby, DD1 seemed to remember it. She wanted to play on it.

On a good note, I think DD1 is proud of her sister. When I went to pick DD1 up from daycare, all the workers were admiring the baby. DD1 stood by my side and just smiled.

fsuchick1976 replied to fsuchick1976's response:
Another story. When I was in the hospital, DH brought DD1 by after work. She wasn't interested in the baby at all. All she cared about was the food I had on my dinner tray. She climbed up in the bed and I ended up feeding her half of my dinner. :)

katieb426 responded:
It depends on the kid. Mine have all reacted differently (I have 4). When Connor (#3) was born, my sister brought the first two to the hospital. I was completely exhausted and not at my best. Owen (#2) had a flat out tantrum in the hospital room. It was awful. But I have to keep in mind that Owen (who was 19 months at the time) was incredibly sensitive and just didn't understand what was going on. He was fine when we all came home and had some time to rest and adjust. Ella (my #1) has always loved meeting new baby and has adjusted just fine.

Just remember to cut yourself and your LO some slack. You will all be making big adjustments. Don't plan anything or have too many expectations.

Oh- and a one thing that I love is have new baby give big brother a gift when they first meet. It will make big brother feel special. :)

wilburlbh responded:
thanks guys!

jlcohen78 responded:
DS was 15 months old when DD was born. He really wasn't phased by her arrival at all. We kept his routine the same as it had always been when I was in the hospital --- my mom watched him as she always had. When we had visitors over, I always asked them to first make a big deal over DS before DD. We pulled out all of the baby things (bassinet, bouncey seat, etc.) a month before my due date just so DS wouldn't feel like DD was taking over everything. And I always tried to get him involved with her --- whether it be handing me a diaper to giving her a bath. The key to my survival during the first few months was wearing DD. That allowed me to hold DD and still tend to DS. DD is now a18 months old and DS will be 3 in June. I worried throughout my pregnancy how DS would handle not being the center of attention. And how I would be able to love another child just as much as him. Looking back, they were all needless worries! They are the closest of friends.

Gift2beMommy responded:
So exciting! I look forward to having another in a couple years. :grin: Anyway, our son was almost 5 when we had our second. He has been nothing but wonderful. He is super helpful and so in love with his brother. I believe it is all in their tempermant. Talk about it as much as possible is the best thing I can say. Give you son a doll and us it to show him where is sibiling will be sleeping and what they will do. Lots of hugs and kisses. It is an adjustment for everyone not matter how well they react.

Spotlight: Member Stories

love of my life Callie Morgan born 10-30-08 via csection 7 lbs 11oz 20in

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.