Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Baby Size when going from RF to FF
cheeezie25 posted:
Happy Monday Everyone!

I was wondering... we are trying to do the ERF thing with DS. He is almost 15 months old, and still RFing in his carseat. We were originally going to try and keep him RFing until he was about 2yo, but that does not seem very likely. He is getting tall, and it doesn't look like it will be that long until he hits the "one inch from the top" mark on his carseat.

I am just wondering how big your LOs were height and weight-wise when you turned them FF in their carseats? I want to get a sense as to when I will need to think about turning it around... I don't want to do it too far in advance, but I want to do it right before he hits that one inch mark just so we aren't caught off guard by a random growthspurt that puts him over one day when we are in a rush to get out of the house!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

leftcoastgirl responded:
We switched LO just before she was 18 months old. I want to say she was 28 pounds and 32 inches? Don't really remember, but she was definitely within an inch of the top of her chair - she has a long torso. Because she's tall (99th percentile), our pedi had told us to just try to keep her RF as long as we could and thought 18 months was a good milestone.

I think if we'd had a different car seat we probably could have made it longer, though.

mystic responded:
And hello to you,

Akerie was 11 months when we decided to move her up to FF, she is 27.8 LBS and 30 in. I hope that helps, I know she was early but we called her Dr. and he said that it would be fine to move her up to bigger car seat and safer for her.

Ryannbaby responded:
Happy Monday!! Isabella is FF. Her carseat recommends it over 20lbs. At her last app she was 22lbs and I forget how long. She has an appt tomorrow though so I'll get back to you on that. I do know that she is way too long to have it RF. I'm comfortable with it.

TyPatrick08 responded:
My son is 17 months and is RF still at 33 inches and 26 lbs my seat allows it till 35lbs and 36 inches so he will max out at the inches im sure of... but I know he is in the safest spot!

jlcohen78 responded:
We recently switched DS --- at 33 months old. He was probably around 35 inches tall and 25-ish pounds when we switched.

Good for you with keeping him RFing for as long as you have!

Jennax907 responded:
We switched our DS at 11 months. He was 33" and only 12lbs. I know it was early, but he had to sit cross legged so his feet didn't hit the back of the seat. We switched him out of a hand held car seat at 6 months because he out grew it.

Jennax907 replied to Jennax907's response:
I mean 20lbs.

kate310 responded:
We kept Dom RF until he was 14 months and the only reason why we changed him was because he was whining the whole time in the car being RF. I know that it is best for them to be RF for as long as possible but he is so much happier being FF and it makes car rides much easier!! He was about 23 lbs and 31 in when we switched him!

KityKatK8 responded:
Does your car seat have maximum requirements? Ours are 30 lbs and 32 inches, and it specifies that in the owners manual. It all depends on the type of car seat you get, and the size of your child. DD is 21 months and just over 20 lbs and around 31 inches. We are still RF, but I figure any month now she'll hit 32 inches and we'll switch her. I plan on getting the new car seat installed and certified next month.

Monica0928 replied to kate310's response:
We don't drive much but we switched my son to FF when he was 12 months. Doctor said it was okay and he likes it so much better. I don't remember how tall he was but he was about 25 lbs.

cheeezie25 responded:
Thanks everyone! DS was about 22 1/2lbs and 32 inches (stringbean!) at his 12 month d/a. He goes in for his 15 month d/a next week, so we will get to see how much he's grown in the past few months then. I tried to measure him while he was standing up today, and it still looked like he was about 32 inches, but he may have been leaning or something... I know his pants have been getting alot shorter in the past couple months, so he is probably closer to 33 or 34 inches..

I'm thinking that I will probably end up switching him around 18 months too... we'll see. I would say I'm not starting to get a little antsy to turn him around so I can see him and handle him better during car rides, but that would be a lie haha

Btw, isn't it stupid that carseat manufacturers seem to make a bigger deal about the weight limits instead of the height limits? Maybe it's just because my kid is so freakin skinny, but I can't imagine a kid who is about to hit the 35lb mark who hasn't already outgrown the seat heightwise lol

cheeezie25 replied to KityKatK8's response:
I know the RF weight limit on the carseat is 35lbs, but I don't know the height limit off the top of my head. I know the manual said not to do RF if the baby's head is less than one inch from the top of the seat, but I don't know if they list a specific height limit. I'll have to check on that.

roni090909 replied to cheeezie25's response:
It depends on how your child is built. DS is 32 in and we had to switch him. He has a very long torso though, so his head was about and inch and a half away from the top.

Jamelita replied to cheeezie25's response:
Our seat is also RF until 35 lbs but I am sure my DD will have been turned around long before she reaches that weight!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'll be 33 years old this year(2010). Wow, I'm getting old. My husband and I have been married for 12 years this year and have 3 wonderful bo...More

Helpful Tips

our trip to the ER (longish)
havnt been on here since the boards have changed so hello again! so, i was in the bathroom doing my make up to get ready & take ds ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 19 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.