Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

OT - Gas Smell
DDK2005 posted:
Ok so my wonderful husband spilled gas in my truck & it wreaks!!! he took the entire rug out, washed it down & we still can't get that smell out...its dimishing but not as quickly as I'd like. I get a headache if I go into the car so I obviously wont let my DD in there, which is hard because when we travel we always take the SUV b/c its more cozy...any suggestions to get rid of the smell are appreciated!!

momtobegrunden responded:
My DH did the same thing last summer! Why he couldn't have spilled it in his car, I don't know!

I think we took the rug out and washed it really well, then let it sit outside. Then we kept the back open ALL the time, unless it was raining, for like a week. I also seem to remember sprinkling baking soda everywhere and letting that sit for a couple of days. The smell never completely went away, but we traded it in a month later anyway, so that took care of it!

DDK2005 replied to momtobegrunden's response:
I know - I told my DH 'if this was your car Im sure this wouldn't have happened'. I just read to use baking soda & vinigar...uugh the smell of vinigar - dont know which is worse. The rug has been outside all week so we'll see how that goes.... No plans on getting a new car, but maybe this can be my excuse :)

KityKatK8 responded:
You could try cider vinegar, it might smell a little better - maybe just to wash the carpet with, too. Ground coffee can absorb oders, I believe, and I think a raw onion can do the same. Definately air the car out as much as possible.

GL!

daisy729 replied to DDK2005's response:
I would try the baking soda and vinegar first. The vinegar smell usually disappears pretty quickly. At least faster than gas!

I know one time we had a nasty smell in the car when I was a kid. It might have been gas, I don't really remember. But, I remember my mom sprinkling coffee grounds over it and letting it sit at least over night. Sometimes using a strong smell helps kill another strong smell?

linzuh04 responded:
Listerine takes diesel smell out. Maybe it works with gas too? Just dump a bottle on the mat.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley (25) I have been married to my DH Chris (27) for almost 7 years. We have two beautiful children together. Kaiden (5) and Madison...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.