Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Food issues-suggestions please
lenono97 posted:
My 17 month old daughter still eats jarred food for lunch and dinner. This seems really old to me to still be eating out of a jar. Does anyone else's LO still do this? It's also really frustrating because I used to make all my own baby food. When we switched to the meals in a jar I never figured it would be this long! I don't know how to get her off of them. I always offer her whatever we are eating. I put bite sized pieces on her tray. She will pick them up and throw them right on the floor. Rarely will she even put it in her mouth and if she does, she spits it right back out. We switch between waffles and scrambed eggs for breakfast. She is really good with fruit and cheese. Some bread and pasta. Applesauce and yogurt are favorties. No vegtables unless I can sneak them in applesauce or yogurt. Other then that, Kraft Mac and Cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches are the only lunch and dinner food she will eat. Of course, she will gobble up goldfish crackers or any other kind of cookie or chip! At her 15 month appointment the pedi recommended stopping the jar food cold turkey. Figuring if she knew it wasn't an option, she will eventually eat what's in front of her. In my mind, this makes sense, but I hate to make meal time a battle. Even though it kind of already is. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

fotogirl525 responded:
Yes you need to stop cold turkey. If LO gets hungry then she will eat. My LO has been eating table food for so long now and she is the same age. And she eats just about anything but hamburger. I say just keep offering it. And if she wont eat anything then there si nothing wrong with giving her the same things that she loves regularly. My LO gets a lot of mac and cheese and ravioli because she loves it so much!

roni090909 responded:
I agree with PP just stop. My LO has been off purees since 10 months. Offer a variety and figure out what she likes. I know with DS one day he likes something and the next he doesn't. So keep trying, she will eat if she's hungry.

jlcohen78 responded:
Is it possible that she is having sensory issues with the foods?

cheeezie25 responded:
I agree with the pps too... just stop with the baby food! My DS was slightly later getting off of the purees due to gagging issues, but I think he was fully on table food by 12 months. If it sounded like you LO was not able to eat table food, I would suggest that you speak with a speech/oral therapist about her issues, but from what you describe, it sounds like more of a an issue of "won't" not "can't".

If you are worried about her getting enough nutrients from her current table food diet, you can kinda sneak healthier foods into the stuff she already likes. Try stirring some steamed broccoli into her mac and cheese... that would probably taste really good! Also, when we do grilled cheese, we will usually put a slice of deli meat (like turkey or ham) and/or some veggies (tomatoes and spinach work great) just to give the sammie more flavor and variety. But honestly, once you stop with the jarred foods, she will probably just start eating more on her own anyway, so it may be a non-issue.

lenono97 replied to jlcohen78's response:
What do you mean about sensory issues? Thanks!

jlcohen78 replied to lenono97's response:
Some kids won't eat certain textured foods. Some children will only eat crunchy foods. Others won't eat foods that are lumpy. That sort of thing.

I found this article which seems to give lots of great tips for expanding toddlers diets ---- not just ones with sensory issues.

http://www.new-vis.com/fym/papers/p-feed13.htm

KatieS83 replied to jlcohen78's response:
I had the opposite problem with my DS, he HATED jarred foods, he would only eat certain things (fruits and veggies) but the mixed meals etc, he wouldnt touch. I do hae to agree that maybe cold turkey is the way to go.

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.