Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

traveling with LO
LeeAnn0707 posted:
I'm taking a trip in june to see my hubby graduate from boot camp and i was wondering if I needed to purchase a ticket for my 16 month old. the flight can be any where from 4.5hrs to almost 7hrs depending on flight departures and layovers. I think i'm getting the ticket for the 4.5 hr flight. should i get a ticket or just get the baby bjorn comfort carrier?
I also was wondering how the carseat bag checking works? If they know you have all this other stuff in there besides the carseat, why is it still free? I was thinking if its free to get the carseat bag checked i should put my carry on in it to avoid the 25 dollar fee lol

any other travel tips would be appreciated! like what i can and cant bring from mom's who've 'been there' lol not what the tsa lists say.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

roni090909 responded:
You don't need to purchase a ticket until the LO is 2. If you don't have a seat for LO you will have to keep her on your lap. For a 4.5 hr flight it might be worth it to purchase the ticket. If you just purchase the ticket for your self you will need to call the airline and add your LO to your ticket (its free).

For the carseat bag, I always check it with my luggage. If you purchase a ticket for your LO you might want to use it on the plane. In this case you will need to lug it through the airport. Which will be a PITA. You will also need to make sure the carseat is compatible with airplanes. You can probably google this.

I don't really know why you would need a baby bjorn at this point unless you still use it to carry LO around. You will definitely want a stroller for the airport. For the plane ride I recommend lots of snacks to keep LO occupied on the plane. I would check whatever you can when you first get there. Even if you have to pay $25, its a PITA to lug stuff around the airport with a LO when you are by yourself.

lenono97 responded:
Yes, a child under 2 years old does not need a seat. However, if your LO is like mine and does not sit still, I would recommend paying extra and getting her a seat. Especially for that length of flight, it might just be easier for you. Check with the airline directly for car seat combatibility, etc. Bring a stroller and check it at the gate. That should be free. I don't think I would put anything real obvious in the carseat bag like a carry on. I think people usually just stick in extra packs of diapers, toys, etc. Bring lots of snacks, book, toys. Make sure things are ready to use and easily accesible. There is not much room on airplanes! Use the family lane at security and be prepared to take food and juice, etc. out of your carry on for security to screen. Two good resources would be the airlines website and TSA.gov. Good luck!

LeeAnn0707 responded:
extra ticket for baby is 418 bucks. baby carrier is 150. but i would have to hold him the whole time... and he is very active. maybe i should just get the ticket.

roni090909 replied to LeeAnn0707's response:
Are you purchasing the Baby Bjorn? If so why? I haven't used it on DS since he was 10 months old. You can hold them on your lap without the carrier. Even when DS was very little I never used the carrier on the plane.

Even if you get him the ticket you are going to have to keep him seated. If it was me, for that much I would probably keep him on my lap. If it was like $200 I would definitely get the ticket.

smileysmom replied to roni090909's response:
Also keep in mind that most airlines prohibit "tethering" children to another person during taxi, takeoff and landing so the only time you would be able to use the Baby Bjorn is during the actual flight. Have you used one with your LO at this age/size? My DD is 17 months and there is no way she'd fit in ours while I am sitting down... just food for thought before you spend that much money on one! Good luck!

LeeAnn0707 replied to smileysmom's response:
its the new baby bjorn comfort carrier for children up to 2yrs old and 31 lbs. i used my other carrier till he out grew it in december, ( the tag said till 25lbs but it didnt feel secure anymore also it wasnt baby bjorn brand) also the ticket is 418 roundtrip. so i guess its not that expensive.

i have to take the carseat with me anyway just in case the car rental place doesnt have one.

roni090909 replied to LeeAnn0707's response:
One of the girls on her just bought one of these, http://www.scootababy.com/products.php. Last I heard she still really liked it. Its similar to the one you are looking at except that it can be worn on the hip or on the back. Its a little cheaper too. I still don't know if I would want to wear something like this on the plane but that is just me.

tamliz08 responded:
I just recently traveled with my DD for the first time too. She was about 17 months at the time. I would not spend the money on the extra ticket if it were me. LO will probably want to sit on your lap anyway, and you might be able to arrange getting an open seat next to you anyway... for free!

And as for the baby carrier, there is no possible way I would have been able to get my kid to sit still for that long. Maybe your LO is calmer than mine (LOL), but I don't think trying to strap him in for that long is really necessary.

It sucks that they charge you to check a bag, but honestly, that is money well spent. Trying to do the airport thing by myself with LO, a stroller, and a carry-on bag was a hassle. I couldn't imagine having to carry anything else!!

linzuh04 replied to LeeAnn0707's response:
$418!? It was only $238 for DS to fly from amsterdam to houston on thursday! WOW!

LeeAnn0707 replied to linzuh04's response:
418 round trip. idk how much a one way ticket is. but just from az to ok. is expensive

LeeAnn0707 responded:
oh yeah! i can get a military discount! yeah! wonder how much it is?

holy cow i just went to american airlines' website to se how much tickets were and they are 502 one way. at orbitz it is 418 round trip. wow what a difference.. maybe i'm reading orbitz wrong and its 418 for each ticket? one there and one back?

linzuh04 replied to LeeAnn0707's response:
That's insane. That price IS round trip! My 11 hour flight is going to cost almost half as much as a 2 hour flight!? Seriously. That's insane! We flew continental if that helps any. Try travelzoo.com. they have really good deals too. Our tickets (adults) were only $600 roundtrip from Amsterdam to Houston. I guess I had a little more notice, though.

Is Southwest running any specials? They usually have $99 flights, dont they?

Money aside, I'd get a seat. You arent gonna want to hold him the whole time. DS wouldnt sit in my lap for that long if I tried! Also, with the carseat rental, they are like $13 a day. We just went and bought DD a carseat to leave down here. At $13 a day, you can buy a new one....lol. I'd bring the carseat and only check that with the clothes you need (the extra space in the bag is crazy! I had 2 backpacks, the dirty cloothes from the 2 days at the hotel, and 3 pairs of DHs shoes plus some diapers and wipes stuffed into that bag! ) All you'd have to do is bring the carseat and pack your stuff in it, then you'll have that and your LO and that's all :)

Silver623 responded:
We flew from NY to Cali 1 day after he turned 2 so we technically had to buy him a seat. I am so glad we did though! He was able to get comfy and sleep and we had more room to play when he was awake. Even at 16 months I would think it'd be really hard to keep LO on your lap for a flight. We did bring our car seat for the rental car and checked it and it worked out fine. We checked it at the gate, along with the stroller and it was free.

roni090909 replied to linzuh04's response:
Linz- WOW I can't believe your flight was that cheap. Tickets are insane right now in the US. I am paying $300 to fly from Dallas to Atlanta (1:45 flight) and $400 to fly to Vegas from Dallas (2:30 flight). I searched for months to get these prices. I usually pay about $150 to Altanta and last time we went to Vegas it was around $200.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Amanda(33), DH (37), DS - Zachary 10/3/08

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.