Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

formula question
eliguns841984 posted:
did any of the mommies here make homemade formula for their LO's when they were on formula? I will not be BF'ing for personal reasons, and I made all of DS's baby food at home. I really enjoyed making it for him and knowing what went into his belly. So now that I'm expecting again, I was considering making homemade formula as well. I've found some conflicting info though and was wondering what was correct. Some info says it's okay to make formula, while others say that you cannot match the important nutrients at home that a baby needs from formula. What do you ladies think? I'm leaning toward NOT making it now because it makes sense to me that one may not have the resources at home to make an adequate formula...especially since it is baby's only source of nourishment. But I was curious what anyone else knew about it...

KatieS83 responded:
i've never heard of making your own formula, i'd be curious to see responses as well, as i wont be able to BF with #2 either.

lenono97 responded:
No, never heard of this either. I doubt you would be able to match the nutrients at home compared to the store bought formula. Honestly, not sure I would want to try.

Faith_after_journey responded:
I have never heard of making infant formula either. Interesting idea.

kmcarnag responded:
Please don't try to make your own formula. Commercial formulas are specially formulated by people who have access to all types of ingredients that supply all nutrients in just the right amount for your little one. I have a Ph.D. in nutrition and formulate complete and balanced pet food for a living. I would not even attempt to make my own dog food at home, let alone my baby's sole source of nutrition. I fed my son with both breast milk and formula. Formulas are perfectly good food when you can't or choose not to breastfeed.

eliguns841984 replied to kmcarnag's response:
Thank you-that's what I was thinking but the confirmation was what I needed

tamliz08 responded:
I read an article in Playboy about it, lol. Actually, it was just about a playmate that was talking about her boob job, and since she couldn't nurse, she made her own formula.

I don't know much about it other than the fact that it has some pretty wierd ingredients in it, things I would never be able to get around here.

Just remember you will NEVER be able to match the cleanliness and accuracy of a factory. I think it's much safer to go with the manufactured stuff. That's just my personal opinion though!

jen0579 replied to tamliz08's response:
WOW someone actually reads Playboy for the articles? LOL jk
Jen, Mommy to Eryk (12), Taylor (8), and Jordan (16 months) Check out Swagbucks and earn bucks just for searching the web! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/witchywoman1979

tamliz08 replied to jen0579's response:
I know, right?! It was very educational, actually I was pretty surprised to read about infant nutrition in a men's nudie magazine, lol.

gracesmom09 replied to tamliz08's response:
Agree with the other posters. There was just a big discussion about this on another forum I am part of. If you are using formula it is much better to use the company formula and not make it own your own. There are specific ingredients/nutrients you can't match on your own.

KityKatK8 responded:
The only time I've ever heard of someone making their own formula was my MIL talking about her experience with DH, so 45 years ago. Yeah, I would think things have changed with formula technology.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! I'm Meggie (31) and my wonderful DH is Jeremy (31). We have 1 DD, Rylie Katelyn (19 months) who is the love of our lives. We are now expect...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.