Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

MY 1 YR OLD DOES NOT WANT TO EAT AND WHEN DOES HE MAKES HIM SELF THROW UP!! HELP!!!!!!!!
An_222866 posted:
I HAVE A 1 YR OLD SON AND LATELY HES HAS CAME UP WITH THE HABIT OF NOT WANTING TO EAT AND WHEN I ACTUALLY FORCEFULLY FEED HIM HE GAGS UNTIL HE MAKES HIM SELF THROW UP NOW IM SURE THIS IS NOT NORMAL AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE!!!! HELP

sarahann1978 responded:
In my experience if a toddler doesn't want to eat, they are not going to eat and they will spit, gag, choke on anything you try to force on them. But, when they are hungry they will eat like there is no tomorrow. So long as your DS is at a healthy weight and still drinking plenty of fluids I would just wait until he is hungry, and not try to force him. If it continues for more than a couple of days I would of course talk it over with your doctor though to see if there may be a problem.
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

mommygigi replied to sarahann1978's response:
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY AND YES I KNOW EXACTLY WAY YOU MEAN I HAVE ANOTHER SON WHOS 3 NOW BUT ITS JUST LIKE OVER MY HEAD NOW BECAUSE DA BABY DOES IT SO WELL AND HES BEEN IT FOR ABOUT 5 DAYS NOW HE DON'T WANT ANYTHING AND I MEAN ANYTHING AND NOW HE MAKES HIMSELF PUKE BUT IM JUST GONNA GO SEE HIS DOC TOMORROW SEE WAT HE SAYS THE REASON IT WORRIES ME IS THAT HE WAS BORN PREMATURE AND IT CONCERNS ME

lenono97 replied to sarahann1978's response:
I agree. I know from my expierence with my DD, you can't force them, it only makes it worse. I believe children will eat when they are hungry and will not starve themselves. Like the PP said, if they are drinking well and at a healthy weight, I wouldn't worry too much.

cheeezie25 replied to lenono97's response:
Yes, I agree with pps... sometimes babies and toddlers just don't want to eat, but if you try to force food on them, it will make it worse. Also, not to scare you, but preemies tend to be more at risk for developing oral and feeding aversions, so it is definitely not a good idea to force feed... that will just perpetuate the problem.

What is your DS eating now? I know 1yo is around the time that most kids (including my DS) stop wanting to be spoon fed and prefer to feed themselves, so maybe that is the issue? Just keep offering a variety of foods of various colors, shapes, textures, etc. My DS went through a stage like this when he was about 8 months or so... he gagged one day on baby food, and then refused to eat anything for a few days... we just went really slow with trying to reintroducing the foods, and eventually he picked it up again and is now a pretty good eater. It is frustrating, but hang in there.

Silver623 replied to cheeezie25's response:
I agree with PP, right at 1, DD stopped letting me feed her and really only ate cantaloupe and drank milk for a few days. I kept offering her other choices but that's all she wanted. She now eats great again. They will not starve themselves so keep offering a variety of options (including lots of healthy finger foods) and eventually he will eat.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi my name is Diavelyn. My sons name is Eli and he turns 1 on 3/9. I am married, work full time and live in Illinois. I enjoy being a mom so much. Ev...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.