Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Girls Bathing Suit Poll
Silver623 posted:
When showing my coworker a pic of my kids in the pool he commented that his wife does not allow their 1.5 year old to wear bikinis and that she plans to keep her in a 1 piece as long as possible. I think my little girl looks adorable in her stylish 2 piece. What do you all think?

Take the Poll

What kind of bathing suit will you buy for your little girl this year?
  • 1 piece because a 2 piece is inappropriate
  • 1 piece because it's easier
  • 2 piece because they are so cute
  • shorts and a t-shirt
  • birthday suit ;)
vote
View Poll Results

ad1978 responded:
That's silly. Actually, I find a 2 piece to be easier...sometimes I just put on her top, and don't even bother with the bottom since she has her swim diaper on.

DDK2005 responded:
My answer really is both. I dont think its inappropriate at all, but to each his own. I go with whatever is cute & easier at the time. I have a mix of both types with the matching coverups I do find 1 pieces easier because they stay put.
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

earleyml1012 responded:
I didn't know how to vote b/c my DD wears a two piece but one is the long sleeve shirt with a binkini bottom and the other is a tang top type top with binkini bottoms. So she's not wearing anything that shows belly b/c I don't think those are appropriate for young children. I personally don't wear binkinis but I do wear a similiar two piece that DD has. However, if my co-worker showed me a picture of their child in a binkini I wouldn't comment on it.

Silver623 replied to ad1978's response:
2 piece is WAY easier for changing a squirmy 1 year old's diaper in my opinion!!

sarahann1978 responded:
I don't have a DD, but just wanted to say that my Mom would not let me wear a two piece because she was raised very conservative Catholic and thought it was better to be more modest. Maybe it depends on your personal views and beliefs.
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

ad1978 replied to ad1978's response:
I was rethinking...I actually don't have LO in little itty bitty bikinis. Just 2 pieces --looks the same as a 1 piece but is broken down into 2 (a top that goes down to where the bottom starts).

ariannasmommy1125 responded:
My DD has a two piece. It's more of a Tankini, but still a two piece. It's much easier to change her that way and also she is so long in her torso that one pieces don't fit her well. I think a two piece is perfectly fine for a LO!

tamliz08 responded:
We use all of the above

I personally think the one piece is cuter, but the two piece is way more convenient!

I can definitely understand that way of thinking though... I know I've looked at some little girl and thought, no way would I let her wear that. Sometimes they try to make things look too grown up.

DDK2005 replied to earleyml1012's response:
When i thought of a 2 piece I thought tankini style too. I dont wear bikini's either - I dont want to scare anyone off the beach - LOL!! Anyway I agree some baby bikini's are inappropriate - expecially the string ones. I dont want my baby getting sunburn so I try to cover her more then expose her delicate skin.
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

magsnemma responded:
I can see both sides to it, some two piece styles are really more appropriate for adults. If my DD could wear the bottoms to a two piece, I'd be happy with that, but they slide right off her skinny little tush (even with swim diaper).

I think the funniest suit I have seen was a pink ruffly Juicy Couture bikini on this adorably pudgy little girl. Nothing says I'm one-year old quite like Juicy written on your butt. I actually googled it just to see what it cost. A lot is the answer.

AltMomma responded:
I think two pieces are absolutely inappropriate for little girls..
Me and my mom came up with a word..its called "pedostyle"..
Yeah, i'm tlaking the bikinis, the short skirts and tiny halters people put on their daughters. I dont find them cute in any way!.
I know that was blunt, but I have to put my foot down on that one.

roni090909 responded:
I LOVE two pieces on little girls. They look so cute plus i bet they are a whole lot easier.
Me (30) DH (37) DS 10/20/08 New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

mamatobe08 responded:
Ok, I think having "juicy" on the butt is a little over the top, but if it's a normal, toddler looking suit, I would think 2 piece would be sooo much easier!

And how rude of your coworker to just say that while looking at your pictures.

1stbaby2008 replied to AltMomma's response:
I kind of agree with AltMomma. Last year DD had a once piece, and this year I got her a 2 peice but it it is takini and a skort so it covers everything. I can't say that I would not let DD wear a 2 peice in my back yard where we have privacy fence and no one could see her, but I would not put a 2 piece on in public. But that is just my opinion.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey! I am Crystal and I am a stay home mommy of 3 sweet little girls! Karleigh is 6, Baylee is 3, and Chloe is 14 mths! They are all 3 amazing little ...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.