Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Stride Rite shoes
ad1978 posted:
Now that LO is walking well, she will move up to the next room at daycare in a few weeks.
Daycare said she will need to wear shoes all day, the ones I have really aren't meant for all day usage.

I know a lot of parents recommend snearkers from Stride Rite, but I don't think we have somewhere local that sells this.

Has anyone bought them online, without getting LO measured? Is it safe to make a guess on size based on the shoes she is currently wearing? She's in size 5 now in other shoes, so I thought maybe get a pair of 5 and 6? What do you think?

earleyml1012 responded:
I looked at their website a while back and they had PDFs that you could print out to measure your LO's feet.

I'd recommend looking at Target's shoes. That's where we've been going for DD...much cheaper.

ad1978 replied to earleyml1012's response:
Thanks!

katieb426 responded:
Ya- you can print out a chart from Stride Rite's website. You might also google for promotional codes for ordering off the website.

Shoes from Target would probably be fine. Just look for a pair that has a firm heel, but a flexible toe area. Something that would come up the ankle a little would be good too.

Lilly's situation has taught us a lot about shoes! ;)

cheeezie25 responded:
I know there is a local shoe store near our house that carries stride rite, so you may be able to find them even if there isn't an actual stride rite store near your house. Sometimes company websites have a "retailer" that will list where their products are being sold in your area.

Although, I gotta agree with pp, the Target shoes are pretty nice. We also have a Nike outlet near where we live, so we get alot of DS's shoes there too!

lenono97 responded:
I would recommend Stride Rite or any other shoe store that will measure LO's feet. Yes, Stride Rite is more expensive but I feel it's worth it to know LO is wearing the right size shoe and type for her feet. When they measured my LO last time we were there, she measured a size 4 extra wide. I would never have been able to buy the right size shoe on my own! Check the website for locations. We have a store near us that is independently owned, but sells Stride Rite.

ad1978 replied to lenono97's response:
ah, just found a store that isn't too far (not somewhere we could quickly go, but hopefully not more than a 20 minute drive). I better find a weekend to do this quick--she moves up end of the month :)

magsnemma responded:
Stride Rite also makes the in-between sizes. Zappos.com sells them as well. My DD has a pair that are mesh-like so she can wear them a long time and her little feet don't stink too bad, plus they're washable.

We also have two Stride Rite outlets near us though, so I'm a little spoiled in that department.

Silver623 responded:
Stores like Famous Footwear will measure and they have Buster Browns on sale for really cheap right now. I just got DD a pair of sandals for $14.00, originally $27.99. I do love Stride Rite but our local store that sold them closed and the closest store is an hour away. When I get to the store I buy them but I have done well at Famous Footwear and even got some pink Nike sandals from Kohls.

roni090909 replied to earleyml1012's response:
They sell them at Nordstroms and Dillards, if you have either of those by you.

I love stride rite shoes. They last forever (or until they grow out fo them). If the only shoe my DS can wear because he needs a large.
Me (30) DH (37) DS 10/20/08 New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

sarahaguirre responded:
I stopped buying Stride after DD started walking a lot better. But if you really want to buy from Stride Rite I just received a coupon in the mail. It's $10 off a $50 or more purchase. I can mail it to you if you want it.

Prayin_4_AN_angel responded:
I have bought most of my LO's shoes from stride rite because his feet are so wide and fat. I would recommend getting them sized because we are currently trying to return shoes that the sales person fit him in that did not fit that day but she garunteed that his foot would slim up when he began walking (he wasnt walking at that point). Now here we are with a pair of $65 dollar shoes that cant be returned and the manager said that the shoe should have never been put on DS foot. So be careful ordering them online

displacedtexan responded:
What makes Stride Rite nice is that their soles are flexible so that the little feet can still develop as naturally as possible.

I have bought a few shoes from Target, they sell really cute flexible shoes for kids, similar to Stride Rite, just not made of leather.

Recently, I discovered that Payless sells a shoe by Stride Rite. Same technology, etc. Just cheaper! The brand is SmartFit. I found this out because a friend gave them to me and my little girl WORE THEM OUT! She loved the way they felt and looked. I've been trying to replace them and started looking up the brand so that I could purchase another pair and it turned out that it was sold at Payless and the company behind it was Stride Rite...

Hope this helps!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Laramie, I'm 27 and live in Rochester, NY. I'm happily married to my wonderful husband and I'm a SAHM to our two children. Aust...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.