Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Birth Control question
Cowgirls19 posted:
I am on the pill, so my periods start on almost ALWAYS the same day of the week--Monday. And I usually always have mild cramping and bloating and chocolate cravings before it starts. Well, it's Wednesday, and I got nothin. No period, not even light spotting or anything, and no cramping. I'm not freaking out yet, because there is no way I could be pregnant, but IF I were...and I'm just talking hypothetically...is it safe to continue to take my birth control medicine? What would you all suggest I do right now? Just continue to take the pill and wait and see if my period eventually comes? Or should I stop taking it for the small, insignificant chance that I might be? I bet it's right around the corner and I'm worrying for nothing, but this never happens so of course my mind is racing.
I'm Kristin (25). My husband, Richie (27), and I have a beautiful, smart and funny girl named Chloe (1 year old, 4/9/09). We also have our first born, our cockapoo named Satchel (3 years old).

ad1978 responded:
Do you remember if you skipped any pills this month, or if you took any later than usual?

If you took them all at the correct time, I don't think you are pregnant, and should just keep taking them (besides, if your period is due this week, you are probably on the sugar-pills this week, which don't do anything).

lenono97 responded:
I am on the pill and I almost always start my flow on Monday. If I hadn't started by Wednesday, I would be curious as well. However, I am assuming you won't start a new pack until Sunday. I am sure things will come around by then. However, there is a warning on the pack to not take the pill if you are pregnant. I probably wouldn't start a new pack on Sunday if I didn't have a period until I talked with the MD. The pill isn't 100%!! Good luck.

Cowgirls19 replied to ad1978's response:
I know when we took a trip over Memorial Day weekend I took them a little off schedule, just at slightly different times in the day than I usually do...but not enough to cause it to mess up, I wouldn't think.

Since you mentioned this week's pills don't do anything anyway, I'll keep taking them like normal and if I don't get it by Saturday I'll take a test. I actually go to the doctor for my annual visit on Monday, so that works out well.

It's just really strange to be this late, even though it's just a couple days. I guess our bodies will do what they want!
I'm Kristin (25). My husband, Richie (27), and I have a beautiful, smart and funny girl named Chloe (1 year old, 4/9/09). We also have our first born, our cockapoo named Satchel (3 years old).

ad1978 replied to Cowgirls19's response:
Yeah, I agree with your plan. If you test Saturday and it's negative, but still no period and you're worried about starting a new pack, then maybe use condoms instead for a little while until you know for sure what is happening?

Hopefully you'll get your period before the end of the week though.

deal14 responded:
I was told by a GYN because Ive been on Continous Birth Control Pills for years for a medical condition I have... and told her my worry of IF by some chance I got pregnant and was taking them each day then what would happen to the child and all of that. They told me that Birth Control pills really wont even harm a fetus. Dont go out of your way to get BCP's if you find out you are pregnant but dont go off of them. Plus I agree with above poster that if its your period week anyhow then it would just be the sugarpill anyways.

Cowgirls19 replied to deal14's response:
Thanks for the advice! That's good to know. I caved and went ahead and took a test yesterday and it was negative so now I'm really confused. Still no period, not even a faint sign of a period coming, but no symptoms of being pregnant either like I had when I was pregnant with my daughter.

I think I'm going to call my doctor's nurse today and see what she has to say. I don't know what else to do. Could the test be wrong? I am well into the week that I should be having my period, so surely it would be correct.

ad1978 replied to Cowgirls19's response:
The test is probably correct, but you could wait a few more days and test again (first thing in the morning when urine has the most detecting hormones).

Jen_FLMom replied to Cowgirls19's response:
I am on BCP's too and had the same thing happen a couple months ago. I skipped altogether and had negative HPTs. I was told by my dr.'s office that with some pills you can skip a month and it isn't uncommon because they thin the uterine lining so much. AF was back the next month and hasn't taken a month off since (though I keep hoping she will...) ;)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Misty. I am the proud mother of three gorgeous children. Alexander is the oldest. He's 9.His favorite thing to do is play video games....More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.