Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Birth Control question
Cowgirls19 posted:
I am on the pill, so my periods start on almost ALWAYS the same day of the week--Monday. And I usually always have mild cramping and bloating and chocolate cravings before it starts. Well, it's Wednesday, and I got nothin. No period, not even light spotting or anything, and no cramping. I'm not freaking out yet, because there is no way I could be pregnant, but IF I were...and I'm just talking hypothetically...is it safe to continue to take my birth control medicine? What would you all suggest I do right now? Just continue to take the pill and wait and see if my period eventually comes? Or should I stop taking it for the small, insignificant chance that I might be? I bet it's right around the corner and I'm worrying for nothing, but this never happens so of course my mind is racing.
I'm Kristin (25). My husband, Richie (27), and I have a beautiful, smart and funny girl named Chloe (1 year old, 4/9/09). We also have our first born, our cockapoo named Satchel (3 years old).

ad1978 responded:
Do you remember if you skipped any pills this month, or if you took any later than usual?

If you took them all at the correct time, I don't think you are pregnant, and should just keep taking them (besides, if your period is due this week, you are probably on the sugar-pills this week, which don't do anything).

lenono97 responded:
I am on the pill and I almost always start my flow on Monday. If I hadn't started by Wednesday, I would be curious as well. However, I am assuming you won't start a new pack until Sunday. I am sure things will come around by then. However, there is a warning on the pack to not take the pill if you are pregnant. I probably wouldn't start a new pack on Sunday if I didn't have a period until I talked with the MD. The pill isn't 100%!! Good luck.

Cowgirls19 replied to ad1978's response:
I know when we took a trip over Memorial Day weekend I took them a little off schedule, just at slightly different times in the day than I usually do...but not enough to cause it to mess up, I wouldn't think.

Since you mentioned this week's pills don't do anything anyway, I'll keep taking them like normal and if I don't get it by Saturday I'll take a test. I actually go to the doctor for my annual visit on Monday, so that works out well.

It's just really strange to be this late, even though it's just a couple days. I guess our bodies will do what they want!
I'm Kristin (25). My husband, Richie (27), and I have a beautiful, smart and funny girl named Chloe (1 year old, 4/9/09). We also have our first born, our cockapoo named Satchel (3 years old).

ad1978 replied to Cowgirls19's response:
Yeah, I agree with your plan. If you test Saturday and it's negative, but still no period and you're worried about starting a new pack, then maybe use condoms instead for a little while until you know for sure what is happening?

Hopefully you'll get your period before the end of the week though.

deal14 responded:
I was told by a GYN because Ive been on Continous Birth Control Pills for years for a medical condition I have... and told her my worry of IF by some chance I got pregnant and was taking them each day then what would happen to the child and all of that. They told me that Birth Control pills really wont even harm a fetus. Dont go out of your way to get BCP's if you find out you are pregnant but dont go off of them. Plus I agree with above poster that if its your period week anyhow then it would just be the sugarpill anyways.

Cowgirls19 replied to deal14's response:
Thanks for the advice! That's good to know. I caved and went ahead and took a test yesterday and it was negative so now I'm really confused. Still no period, not even a faint sign of a period coming, but no symptoms of being pregnant either like I had when I was pregnant with my daughter.

I think I'm going to call my doctor's nurse today and see what she has to say. I don't know what else to do. Could the test be wrong? I am well into the week that I should be having my period, so surely it would be correct.

ad1978 replied to Cowgirls19's response:
The test is probably correct, but you could wait a few more days and test again (first thing in the morning when urine has the most detecting hormones).

Jen_FLMom replied to Cowgirls19's response:
I am on BCP's too and had the same thing happen a couple months ago. I skipped altogether and had negative HPTs. I was told by my dr.'s office that with some pills you can skip a month and it isn't uncommon because they thin the uterine lining so much. AF was back the next month and hasn't taken a month off since (though I keep hoping she will...)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi All! i cannot believe a year has past already! Here is the scoop on us....been with my husband 12 years..been married for 3 of them. We have two ma...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful