Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

19 kids and counting!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
So I have read that the Dugger's would welcome child number 20!! If you could afford it, would you continue to have babies? I'm guessing there reality show is affording them these blessings, but when is enough, enough? How do you share yourself with all these children and make them each feel loved? I catch that show once in a while, and it looks like to me the older ones are raising the younger ones. I guess that's how it has to be! Your thoughts?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

cheeezie25 responded:
You really want to get me start on this? LOL!

Silver623 responded:
I feel like I wouldn't be able to have more than 3 or 4 at the most if money and age were no object. But at some point, I want to sit back and enjoy my grand-kids, not still be putting kids through school. Splitting my time and attention between the two I have is tough enough.

sarahann1978 responded:
A thread about this topic got way out of control before, so I'm surprised that a moderator would start it.

My opinion, since you asked, is that their last sweet child Josie was born at 25 weeks at only 1lb 6oz because of preE. I think the ethical question is not about money, but the risk of future pregnancies for Michelle and the baby. How will it be if she dies from one more pregnancy and then all 19-20 kids have no mother, it's just foolish in my opinion.

Other than that all I can say is you had better keep a close eye on your thread Chris and emotions seem to be running high today anyway!
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

jlynnpaine responded:
I wish I could afford to have lots of kids but IMO 20 is too many. There are not enough hours in the day for me to give that many children the love and affection that they need and I don't feel that it's fair for older children to have to raise their younger siblings. Help out, sure but not be responsible for the majority of their care.

I agree with pp as well that having another baby is a big health risk to the mother and if something were to happen to her, all those children would grow up without their mother. I feel that is very selfish on her part. I understand it's their beliefs that lead them to do this but I think that common sense needs to factor into these decisions as well.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to sarahann1978's response:
I worry about her health too, all this on her body can't be good. I worry about the babies health too, although there has been little complications that we have seen. The big picture is healthy.

jlynnpaine replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
I thought she spent 6 months in the hospital? Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I'd say that's more than a little complication.

sarahann1978 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
I agree, Michelle had pre-eclampsia which is definitely a huge complication and then to save Michelle's life they took Josie by emergency c-section at 25 weeks, way too early! I would have to think that they are EXTREMELY lucky that she survived and is thriving today.

bgabert responded:
I think Josie should be her last baby. Clearly her body is trying to let her know it's had enough of being pregnant.

I remember my last trimester with DD and I was wiped. Utterly exhausted. My body was tired and sore.. and now that I am pregnant again, everything seems to take its toll even faster.

I understand being catholic and not using birth control, but you have to realize the risk you are posing for your children.

It's not fair to the kids that their mothers attention is split so many different ways, do they ever get one on one time?
Bri (24), DH Jarrod (28), DD Emery (1), Baby 2 EDD 2/13/2011

sarahann1978 replied to bgabert's response:
The Duggar's are not Catholic. They are conservative Christian and practice the quiverfull movement.

Even the Catholic Church teaches natural family planning.

elegi23 replied to sarahann1978's response:
Didn't Michelle have an issue with her gull bladder too and had to have surgery on top of it too?

I'm seriously afraid if they have another child that she would die of complications.
Me (22), DH(29) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/10

momofone08 responded:
They drive me crazy!!!

I think she is extremely selfish! She knows she is very likely to have more complications and she's willing to risk it. That's not fair to baby # 20.

How do they have time to give every single child attention? they don't!

It's their business but i don't agree.
Married 6/18/08~ 2 angels 7/07 ans 4/10~~ DD 9/16/08 7lbs 2oz 19 in~~ TTC 2 since June 2009~~ Moderate PCOS taking progesterone.

gracesmom09 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
Just because you have one child pre-term does not mean all future babies are doomed to the same fate. I think people like to say this when it comes to the Duggars because they disagree with the amount of children. Which is fine if you feel that they have too many. But one pre term baby does not mean all subsequent pregnancies will have the same fate.

roni090909 replied to momofone08's response:
I agree with you 100%
Me (30) DH (37) DS 10/20/08 New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

sarahann1978 replied to gracesmom09's response:
But the reason she had Josie pre term was because of preeclampsia, there is very much a risk that she will continue to have that in future pregnancies and be at a high risk of complications.

As far as I'm concerned I don't care how many children they have, my reasoning is because she is at high risk and it's seems careless to continue to become pregnant when she is at high risk for preeclampsia and her age puts her at higher risk of many complications.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I are high school sweethearts and have been married since 2005. Our DS, Kayden Riley was born June 9, 2009. I love being a mom!! Hopefu...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.