Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

RFing and REALLY hot!
robyn47001 posted:
So my DD is 19 months and still RFing, I would like to continue but she gets so hot in her seat that I'm thinking about turning her. In my car for some reason she doesn't get much air in the RF position, but DH has vent in his back seat so she's fine with him. I have a window shade, but not sure it's helping. Any suggestions? Would really like to continue to RF.

roni090909 responded:
I have seen those fans that attach to a stroller. Would something like that work?
Me (30) DH (37) DS 10/20/08 New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

robyn47001 replied to roni090909's response:
Hmmm, just looked at one. That might work, and not to expensive either. :)

jlc78 responded:
The fan is a good suggestion. I've also heard of some people putting ice packs on the car seat before they load their LO's in it.

My advice: it's mid-August. Summer is almost over so it won't be too much longer to deal with this. If you really want to continue to RF, then it shouldn't be an issue.
Me (31) DH (32) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

earleyml1012 responded:
The fan suggestion is good but I just wanted to give my 2 cents about safety. In all of our baby classes and magazines that I've read, it says not to attach anything to the carseat or around it b/c it can become a projectile object in an accident. I have to agree with jlc78 that summer is almost over, so it should be getting cooler soon. By the way, great job keep her RFing for so long. We switched DD at 18 months b/c she was becoming a grouchy child in the car.

sarahaguirre replied to earleyml1012's response:
I haven't switched DD yet but I will very soon because she's already getting too tall. I live in Az where it's blazing hot 3-4 months out of the year. I have also heared that anything attached to or around the carseat can be dangerous. What I do is always leave the car running and let it cool off for about 10 min before we go anywhere. If we're at home I will even let it sit for 15 minutes. I know it can be hard to do this when you're out during the day but what I do is if I have DD out with me I turn the car on, close the door and we both sit in the drivers seat with the vents facing us for a few minutes. Then after that I move her to the carseat and we leave. If DH is with me then I'll have him run out to the car 10 minutes before we leave to cool the car down. It helps a lot. If I don't do this then DD is a sweaty mess.
Me (27) DH (27) DD Stella born 3/10/2009 Baby Boy's EDD 1/28/11

bgabert responded:
I have the exact same problem, Robyn.

Though.. I usually just crank the a/c and freeze upfront so she can be comfy in the back, lol!
Bri (24), DH Jarrod (28), DD Emery (1), Baby 2 EDD 2/13/2011

sarahann1978 responded:
Could you change the setting of your AC, like try putting it in defrost mode or something so the force of the air is not directly on you, but still keeping the overall temp of the car cooler? Maybe it would redirect the flow throughout the car, or try closing down certain vents to redirect more force to others. IDK, that may not work in all cars, just trying to think of something to get you through a couple more months until it cools off.
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

robyn47001 responded:
Thanks, I kind of agree about the fan so I probably won't try that. I may try the to redirect the air though, it may work. My other DD sits FF and seems to cool off just fine so I also have to consider her if I do anything. Leah is perfectly happy RF so most likely we will find a solution and continue. :)

saywhat789 replied to robyn47001's response:
Is she in the center?? My DD is RFing in the center of my sedan and I will direct the two center vents up to the ceiling/above her head so it blows all of the hot air down and out of way. When I get her out she's always nice and cool.
~ Mama to Miss M born 07/08/09 ~

ad1978 replied to robyn47001's response:
I agree with others...try to cool down the car for a few minutes before you have to leave (if possible). Maybe stash a blanket for your other (FF) child...so that you can blast the air and your other DD can use the blanket if she gets too cold.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Crystal. I have a daughter, Caedance who is 16 months and another on the way! EDD 13 October 2010

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.