Moms with Girls
elegi23 posted:
That vaccine post got me thinking.... How many of you are going to do the HPV vaccination for your daughter when she's older? I haven't really done any research, but I know HPV is a huge problem, at least where I live.
Me (22), DH(29) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/10

kimberly91908 responded:
I haven't done enough research to know if I will or won't it all depends on the risks and side effects. I am 100% going to research my little heart out about it though.

paytonsmommy09 responded:
I will probably do the HPV when Payton is older. It is something I will certainly talk to my OB and Pedi about.
SARAH (31), JASON (DH), PAYTON (7.8.09), 3 FUR CHILDREN

An_222919 responded:
I am 100% going to have my DD get it. Once she's old enough of course. I actually have it (HPV) and have had some complications from it when I was younger. I do not want her to even have to worry about it when she's older if it can be prevented. Considering 1 in 4 people have had an STD I think it's something great to consider. Especially since it can lead to cervical cancer. I think later on my DD will thank me for protecting her.

ad1978 responded:
I probably will, though I admit I don't know much about it yet. I'll need to research and talk to my dr (and hers). Does anyone know off hand, what is the recommended age?

An_222920 responded:
I have read way too many horror stories about the side effects. If you go to the teenager parenting exchange, there was a long thread with people who have had awful effects. It swayed me from getting the vaccine for myself. If they come out with something better by the time my children are old enough, then I will consider it.

jlc78 responded:
I'll see when it comes time to cross that bridge. As I posted in the vaccine post, DD has had a history of bad reactions to shots. A lot of things can change between now and the time that DD would be able to get it so I'll wait to research it then.
Me (31) DH (32) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

bcfrost816 replied to jlc78's response:
Absolutely not
Courtney (28) DH (30) DD Peyton 17 months; baby girl EDD 9/26/10

Silver623 responded:
It's something I will definitely consider and talk to our Dr. about. I have not done the research yet so I can't say for sure. A good friend of mine has a sister that just had surgery to remove cancerous cells that developed because she has HPV. The girl is 22. If a simple shot can prevent this, I guess I'm leaning towards getting it.

ad1978 replied to bcfrost816's response:
Just curious, why was your response "absolutely not"? Not that you have to defend your opinion, but you didn't really say why.

CateG1973 responded:
I don't have a daughter, but if I ever did, I would have to do my research when the time comes.

If I had a daughter of the appropriate age for this vaccine right now, I wouldn't do it. From what I understand, it's a series of 3 shots. While the first and the third seem to be causing minimal reactions, I've read the second shot has been shown to cause some problems.

This is where I believe the benefit of not getting it outweighs the risk of getting it: With annual paps and regular care--the virus is easily prevented, easily detected, easily treated and rarely turns into a fatal disease.

At this point, more research on it needs to be done before I would feel comfortable getting it or supporting its use.

ad1978 replied to CateG1973's response:
Good points Cate. I guess something moms of girls need to keep in mind: the key is regular/annual care. So if your daughter is sexually active at a young age, and you don't know it, she could be missing out on years of much needed care.

Not that I want to think of my little doll as doing It at such a young age, but we have to be realistic.

Well, hopefully we can first deal with current age-related issues, you know, like talking and potty training

sarahaguirre replied to CateG1973's response:
Wow Cate good to know. I actually don't kow much about the vaccine at all. So thanks for giving me some kind of info about it. I'm not sure what the recommended age is girls to receive this. I doubt it's anytime soon which is nice. I guess when the time comes I'll really have to look into it and see if it's even worth it.
Me (27) DH (27) DD Stella born 3/10/2009 Baby Boy's EDD 1/28/11

CateG1973 replied to sarahaguirre's response:
My niece is 16, and at her last doc appt, the doc wanted to start her on the series. My sis didn't know much about it, but went with the doc's recommendation. Ashley got the first shot. Then my sis went home and did a bunch of research, called me and we talked through it. She decided not to go further with it.

Jen_FLMom replied to sarahaguirre's response:
I'm not 100% sure but I think the earliest recommended age is around 14.

I agree with one of the Anon's and Cate and really don't know either way. Hopefully by the time our DD's start reaching the age to get it there will be a lot more information on both HPV and the vaccine(s) to help prevent it.

Also, by the time my DD reaches the age to get it she will be old enough to understand about the disease and vaccine as well and I hope to get her input so she and I can talk about it together before we make any final decision.