Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

DS had a Febrile Seizure on monday night
Beadlady78 posted:
I am such a wreck. Monday night DS had what is called a Febrile Seizure. I have never seen anyone have a seizure before, I seriously thought I was going to lose my son. I have never been so terrified.

I want to pass along some useful tips to you mamas out there. Febrile Seizures are caused by high temperatures. I guess 1/10 children will have one in their life time and the ages are 6 months to 5 years old. DS had a fever and we gave him a luck warm bath. He had started to shiver so we took him out. The ER Dr. told us, never put a child with a fever in a luke warm or cool bath. The shivering actually elevates their temperature. I did not know this...I am feeling so quilty.

DS is doing better. We found out he had a mild ear infection that was causing the fever and the escaltion of the temp caused the seizure.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jlc78 responded:
I'm so sorry you had to go through one. DD has been having them since she was 9 months old. She's had 10 over the past year and they are absolutely terrifying to watch. I still get ill at the thought of a fever.

The good thing is that they generally ARE harmless. And most kids will only ever have 1. The peak age for having them is around 18 months.

Try not to feel guilty about the bath thing. DD's last seizure was right after a bath too. And I knew what temperature the bath needed to be because of her history. I guess the bath water wasn't warm enough for her though. My 3 year old was in the tub with her and didn't complain about the temperature. You would be amazed at how many people don't know that about baths and fevers. I actually had an ER nurse suggest giving DD an ice cold sponge bath for one of her fevers/seizures.

That's also great that you found the cause of the fever. One of DD's hospitalizations was because they couldn't figure out what was causing her fever. She ended up have 5 seizures over the course of 24 hours and eventually it was just determined to be a fever virus.

Sorry for my long winded response. It's just something that I have plenty of experience with. I'm glad to hear that he's doing well!
Me (31) DH (32) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

roni090909 responded:
I am so sorry! Thanks for letting me know that. I always heard you were supposed to put them in a cool bath.

I'm glad your DS is feeling better today.
Me (30) DH (37) DS 10/20/08 New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

Emmyl responded:
I'm so sorry you had to go through that! Thank you so much for sharing about the baths and fevers though! I had no idea! It makes perfect sense though.

justonegirl81 responded:
Over the course of 4 children, I've had several pedi's to tell me to put the kids in a luke warm bath if the motrin or tylenol wasn't working fast enough to lower the fever. I am sorry you guys had to go through all this, but i hate to stick the opinion of 1 doctor out here, and advise others against what their pedi's tell them to do. I've only had to use the bath one time, but if your child is at risk with a high fever, you have to do something being as they are at risk for brain damage. i also have several friends and family with children, and this is always the advice.

CateG1973 responded:
Beadlady - so sorry you had to deal with this. Sounds incredibly scary, and I wouldn't want to be in your position. So glad he's doing better.

I would like to strongly encourage anyone who would consider not putting her child with a high fever in a cool or lukewarm bath to talk to your doctor first.

I live in a big city, and my son belongs to a large practice group. Therefore, we often talk to different doctors when we call about his fevers (he's in daycare, so early on he got them a lot ... still gets the occasional fever), and every one of those docs has always encouraged a cool bath.

Because this information seems surprising to a lot of the people responding here, it sounds like this one doctor is a minority among his/her peers.

jlc78 replied to justonegirl81's response:
I just have to comment on the 'risk for brain damage' comment. A fever has to be EXTREMELY high (ie 107.5) to cause brain damage. And it is also extremely rare for a fever to get that high. Untreated fevers rarely go over 105. And at 105, you're most likely going to be headed to the ER anyway and won't be doing a bath of any sort.

jlc78 replied to CateG1973's response:
The key with the bath is temperature. Yes, it does need to be somewhat cool but it shouldn't be cool enough to cause shivering. The shivering can cause the body temperature to increase.

sarahann1978 replied to jlc78's response:
Yeah I think it's different for each doctor. Mine says the number doesn't matter so much to him as the way the child is acting. My DS had a mystery 105 fever this winter, but he was alert and attentive so we gave him Motrin, some water to drink, took his pj's off and rubbed him down with a damp cloth. The fever responded and we put him back to bed. The next day I took him to the doctor who said I was exactly right to not rush him to the ER since he was alert and attentive. He said though even before that that if DS ever had even a mild fever, but was acting incoherent or listless then I should seek help right away.
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

CateG1973 replied to jlc78's response:
Regardless, none of us on this thread have medical degrees. My point is talk to your doctor before you actually make a decision not to take popular medical advice.

jlc78 replied to CateG1973's response:
Obviously. I don't think any one on this board is claiming to have a medical degree. We're just sharing experiences. Very good point. It's always best to consult your doctor not a message board regarding medical decisions.

Beadlady78 responded:
I am just going to put this out there and then I will log off web MD and may not come back. I posted this because I was terrified, I seriously thought my son was going to die before my eyes. I just thought I could help others. I am sorry this turned into a debate. I do not claim to be Dr at all, just a scared mom. I needed support. Thank you to the ladies that did, I appreciate it so much.

Yes, this board was desinged to get others opinions, but I needed support, not opinions. If you wanted to start opinions, start another thread.

I am sorry to sound harsh, but I am so tired of seeing mothers on here looking for support and thinking they can help and then having to read posts that bash it. yes, everyone should check with their Dr. before doing anything, I am not saying not too.

Please, ladies, think before you post. Put yourself in the mothers shoes that made the original post. If you want to start another post about other opinions on the matter, please do so that the original poster can choose whether or not to read about advice that goes against what her Dr. told her.

An_222927 replied to Beadlady78's response:
Well said

An_222928 replied to CateG1973's response:
Since when are the words "popular" and "correct" interchangeable????

BeadLady, this is my first comment on this topic but I am so sorry that this thread morphed from supportive into the bickering that unfortunately has become more common on this board lately. My heart goes out to you after what you went through and I can not imagine as a mother how scary that was.

Fortunately, I know Jamie has been dealing with her DD's febrile seizures for a while now and for motherly advice and support I would consider her to be a very good person to talk to. She has shared her ordeal many times and is very dedicated to obtaining information through research and getting information from the doctors who see her DD. I consider her to be one of the more unbiased, reliable, supportive moms on this board and I believe she can help you a lot with understanding what happened and to empathize with you and how you feel. Please don't let attitudes that I promise you represent the minority of opinions in this group persuade you to walk away from what could be a very good source of support.

lenono97 replied to Beadlady78's response:
Well said. I agree with you.

I am sorry you had to go through what you did with your child. I can only imagine how scary it would be. I hope your son is continuing to improve.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a student, employee, wife, and mother of three adorable LO's. Ages 8, 3(almost 4), and 1. Long time lurker, and new member!

Helpful Tips

Heat time
Try reducing the heat time a little each week and see if that helps the transition. www.lilkidshop.com More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.