Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

DD and poop!!!
bcfrost816 posted:
So, Peyton is 20 months old and she has made every transition so far look easy (toddler bed, etc..). And she is such a good girl, so when she did this.....I was so shocked!!! And disgusted!!!!

DH put her up in her room for her nap on Monday with just a diaper on, he said she was hot from running around and playing. I personally don't like to do it, just because I'm afraid she will do what she ended up doing, lol. So, at her normal time to wake up I hear her talking to herself and such, so I go up to get her. I open the door and there she is sitting in her bed with POOP all over!!!!!!! At some point she had pooped and got curious, so she took off her diaper and played in her poop!!!!! Gross!!!! She had it all over her stuffed animals, her bed, her blanket, and her feet were covered in poop! It was like she did a dance in her poop, lol.

I was so mad.....oh man did she get yelled at! And she knew it too, she wouldn't look at me and she just kept saying "mommy hug" which is what she wants when she knows she is in trouble. I got her straight into the bath tub and she started crying because she knew I was so mad, then of course I felt bad. But I had to make sure she knew how bad it was that she did that so she doesn't do it again!!

Afterwards, I got a good laugh out of it, but I was so mad! Thankfully she did not try and eat it and it didn't go any further than her bed. I've heard much worse stories of them smearing their poop on the walls and eating it. LOL, kids are so weird.
Courtney (28) DH (30) DD Peyton 17 months; baby girl EDD 9/26/10
FirstPrevious12NextLast

QTpie2009 responded:
Yes, I think every mother goes through this at some point. I laughed when my sister told me her DD did it a couple of months ago (my DS and her DD are only 7 months apart). Then DS did it about a week ago, but thankfully (TMI) they were just little nuggets that could easily be cleaned up. LOL So now I've made sure I always put pants or shorts on him when he goes to bed.
Me(26), DH(29), DS Kayden Riley born 06/09/09.

sarahaguirre responded:
DD has done this once. Now I make sure she has pants on at all times. When she did it I didn't get upset at her I just cleaned her up. I don't think she would have understood that it's a bad thing to do. I just wiped her off in the sink and then but her in the tub for a good scrubbing. From what I hear a lot of kids do this. It's just up to us to help prevent these nasty mishaps from happening again.
Me (27) DH (27) DD Stella born 3/10/2009 Baby Boy's EDD 1/28/11

saywhat789 responded:
Thanks for the laugh!!! (Only because I haven't been through it yet.)
~ Mama to Miss M born 07/08/09 ~

An_222947 responded:
I'm not sure that at her age she will understand being yelled at means don't do it again. That's pitiful that she was asking for a hug. She wanted to make sure her mommy still loved her. You can't get mad at kids for doing stuff like that, she is so young and was just exploring. You can get mad at the situation but don't take it out on her. JMO.

An_222948 replied to An_222947's response:
I agree with Anon_311. Yeah, it's gross and disgusting, but at 20 months old it was just interesting. I don't know if she can understand why mommy got upset, she just knew her mom was mad and it scared her. I think like someone else said it's up to us to try and prevent it.

bcfrost816 replied to An_222948's response:
LOL, ok anon poster thanks for trying to make me feel bad. Didn't work ;-) And by yell, I certainly don't mean screaming at the child, but talking sternly so she knew it was a bad thing to do.

An_222949 replied to bcfrost816's response:
I don't think anyone would have said something just to try to make you feel bad. Seems to me they were giving their opinion on how to handle stuff like that since it happens to everyone. You were the one who said you yelled at her and it made her cry.

elegi23 responded:
In your defense, I don't think you did anything wrong. You came on here and shared your feelings about being angry, but you laughed at the situation too. If my DD does something that is just "learning" to her, but is really something I don't want her to do, I will scold her, but then its also a learning experience for me too. I now know what she is capable of, and I can either put up what she is in, or in your case, put some pants on her.

I happened to be lurking and saw your post on the pregnancy board and I agree, anon posters need to go. I personally have never posted anonymously b/c if somebody has something to say to me, they can say it to me and not hide behind anon_12345 etc.... If I don't want it done to me, I'm obviously not going to do it to anyone else.

I think people are being ridiculous. I come on here at work to post my feelings and thoughts and not be criticized because someone took something I said out of context. This is a public forum and people need to be respectful of other's feelings and thoughts.
Me (22), DH(29) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/09

lenono97 replied to elegi23's response:
I agree with elegi23. People need to calm down a little bit. I don't think the original poster did anything wrong either. Sure, at 20 months old a child will not know the difference between right and wrong, but they need to learn and I believe learning right from wrong starts at birth. While playing in poop might be common for toddlers, it doesn't make it right. I believe the original poster disciplined as she felt appropriate and it's not fair for any of us to jump all over her for that.

breezy_83255 replied to lenono97's response:
I agree 100%! We shouldn't have to be so worried that our comments will be completely taken out of context. This board is terrible for taking things out of context and belittling peole with differing opinions. If you can't say it with your name and pic, don't say it at all. Anon is just an excuse to be ruder than normal. If (when) my daughter tries this, she will also be told "no" in a stern voice. Just because it's normal doesn't mean it's excusable. I really doubt the original poster went ballistic and really yelled at her poor daughter, and I'm sure she got plenty of hugs when she was no longer covered in poop.

KLS0228 responded:
Lurking: I THINK YOU DID NOTHING WRONG! Don't let people make you feel like you are a bad parent just becuase you are dicipling your child!!!! WHATEVER! UGH! I would ahve handled the same situation the same way (probably would have gagged a couple times too though! LOL!!) And then after it was all said and done laugh about it, just like you! I think your child is definitely old enough to start to be taught the rights and wrongs. DD was like 12 months when we started doing it with her, and she KNOWS when she does something bad now. And she actually has gotten really good about saying sorry (without being told!) after she sits in timeout!!!
FYI I HATE the Anon posting- I think its stupid people have to use that to say what is really on their minds instead of using their real "names." And agree with all the PP about the stupid Anon names! :)

Silver623 replied to KLS0228's response:
As much as I get annoyed when people post replies to me as Anon, I don't think it should be gotten rid of. If I were to use Anon, it would be to post a question/concern/vent of a very personal nature that I might not want people to know was from me. I haven't done this, but I can see why it might be nice to be able to do that. I'd never post Anon to give my opinion to someone else.

Anyway, wow, am I glad my kids have not tried anything like that with their poop! You were right to let her know that what she did was wrong. 20 months is plenty old enough to understand lessons like this. I try really hard not to yell at my kids, especially DD (17 months) but it happens sometimes. DD cries when I very calmly tell her "no," lol and then she immediately wants a hug.

ShayKTen replied to bcfrost816's response:
I am terrified this day may come with my youngest who within the last couple weeks has gotten the thrill of undressing herself all the way down to her naked little tush. She first did it at her DCP during naptime, luckily she hadn't done her duty during this time frame, but she seems to be absolutely fascinated with being able to undress herself and take her diaper off. Therefore I have not left her without any kind of bottoms on (shorts, pants, etc) in hopes that will keep her from messing with her diaper. I have always heard the horror stories about kids messing with their poop as well, and my god that would be a tough one to handle. I tried putting myself in your shoes on how I would handle it and I really don't think you did anything wrong. I know you came on here to share a "funny" story of your dd and quite frankly it is pretty humerous to both those that have dealt with it and those of us who haven't. Words and emotions are so easily taken out of context on these boards - which is understandable as we can't actually hear or see each other- but I just wanted to say keep your head up and don't let other people opinions get you down (not that they are) ;)

bcfrost816 replied to ShayKTen's response:
Why does WebMD keep deleting my replies on here?? I haven't said anything bad, just thanking you all for the nice replies.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mama of two amazing kiddos. My son was born in August '08 and my daughter in January '10. I live in the mountains of Color...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.