Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

We need our sleep!
bd9818 posted:
My DD is 12 months old. Her father and I seperated when she was 6 months old. She slept in the bed with me mostly and occasionally in her crib. On the weekends she spent with her father--she slept in the pack and play in his room. Now we have worked things out and are back living together. She will NOT stay asleep at night. She wakes several times at night, typically at LEAST once an hour. She will go back to sleep but only if you pick her up and hold her. The past 3 nights we've put her in the bed with us and she has woke us up screaming in her sleep but she's not even awake! Also--she needs a double king size crib to contain her. She is everywhere--sideways, longways, crossways--you name it!! She is like a bull in a china shop when she sleeps! Sometimes she wakes up and is hungry, sometimes not. She was sleeping through the night at 9 weeks old and has been ever since with the occasional "sick" days in which we had a few times of getting up? She has been sick recently but only in the last week! I dont want her sleeping in the bed with us and I would like to get some sleep at night. Everyone in our house is suffering. What can I do to get her back sleeping at night?

lenono97 responded:
My DD is the same, she is all over the place in her crib! Have you tired putting her right down in her crib at night instead of your bed? I would suggest letting her cry it out. It might be tough at first but for a lot of children it helps. Put her in her crib and let her cry. Check on her every 15 minutes, provide comfort but don't pick her up. It took us 3 nights to get back to our regular schedule and DD falling right to sleep when we put her in the crib. I try and do the same now if DD wakes up in the middle of the night. If she is just fussing a little I don't get up and usually in a minute or two she is back to sleep. If she is full on crying I check on her and rub her tummy or back to get her back to sleep. I try not to pick her up becasue she usually wakes up more or thinks she can get down and play. Good luck.

cheeezie25 responded:
I don't know what a double king-size crib is, but the all over the place sleeping is pretty common from what I am aware. My DS is always tossing, turning and readjusting and never stays in the same position where he fell asleep. They do stop rolling around quite as much as they get older though. My son still does it, but he was a much crazier sleeper during his first year.

I would agree with pp about trying to put her back in the crib after she wakes up. We sometimes bring DS in bed with us towards morning if he is REALLY bad but still needs that extra sleep, but if it is in the middle of the night, he sometimes just needs to be picked up, rocked for a minute, and then put back in the crib and he is good. I would literally never get any sleep if I brought him in bed with us every night because of the way he sleeps.

Do you think your DD may be teething? Try giving her a little orajel or something if she just does not seem comforted by you. GL and HTH!

cheeezie25 replied to cheeezie25's response:
O, and we only ever pick DS up from his crib if he is standing. If he is just rolling around and crying a little, we either rub his back a little or let him be because most of the time he will fall back asleep on his own.

breezy_83255 responded:
Did she sleep well in the pack and play? DD1 was fine in a crib, but DD2 could never use it. The way she sleeps just doesn't work well with a crib. If I had the bumper in it, she tried to wrap herself in it. If I took the bumper out, she got arms and legs stuck in the rungs and bashed her head on the side. We finally just put her in the pack and play. She's been sleeping there most of her life, and will stay there until she moves into a big girl bed. It made all our lives so much better!

elegi23 responded:
I think it's quite normal for your DD to be everywhere while she sleeps. My DD goes to bed in her crib and spends about the last 2-3 hours of the night in bed with me and DH. I remember one morning where DH woke up and DD's head was on my stomach and her toes were in his mouth. How she's managed that I don't know, but it was actually very funny.
DD used to have to be put to sleep by me and then would get up multiple times a night an used to pretty much just only sleep in our bed. When she turned one, I just kinda gave up one night and let her cry it out in her crib. By the 3rd night, she was going to sleep within 5 minutes. I never wanted to let DD cry it out. I always thought it was wrong, but her sleep habits were horrible. After a week she was going to bed at 10pm, getting up at 5am then in bed with us till she gets up for the day at 7am. She still takes a morning nap at 10am for an hour or 2, then an afternoon nap which is about 30 mins to an hour. We are trying to get her to go back to sleep in the morning, so we can cut out the morning nap, but so far she gets up and wants to play.

Sorry, for the long story, you might just need to try different things until you find the right thing for you. She might even be having issues with you and her dad being back together. I think kids pick up on changes and now that its just not her and you in the bed, she might just not like the change. I would definitely try letting her cry it out in her crib, and if that doesn't work try strictly letting her sleep in her pack in play. But try to make it the same thing for at least 2 weeks. Don't change it up before then. Babies thrive on schedules and anytime we make a change with DD it takes her about 2 weeks to fully adjust(her dr told us that and it seems to be right at least with our DD).
Me (22), DH(29) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/09

bcfrost816 replied to elegi23's response:
I wonder too if it might not be more of an adjustment issue? You said that her father and you have worked things out and he is back living with you all again, so she may be having a hard time adjusting to that. At 12 months they certainly understand alot and this change might just be throwing her for a loop, you know?

I think the pp's suggestions are all good suggestions. Just wanted to throw that out there, maybe might help to understand a little better if this is more of just an adjustment thing for her.
Courtney (28) DH (30) DD Peyton 17 months; baby girl EDD 9/26/10

saywhat789 responded:
Yeah I'd have to agree with bcfrost. She maybe be all thrown off from the changes going on in her home and doesn't know who is coming or going or when. She just needs a few weeks of stability and I'm sure she'll settle down again. When we moved into a new apartment my DD was a clingy nut-case, I had NO idea it was going to be SOOO hard on her. Just offer her a lot of reassurance and snuggles and see if that helps.
~ Mama to Miss M born 07/08/09 ~

saywhat789 replied to saywhat789's response:
Oh and LMAO at the double king-size crib. I was just thinking last night how somebody should make a crib that fits the parent and the baby.
~ Mama to Miss M born 07/08/09 ~

DDK2005 responded:
I've been going thru this recently too because Ava was really sick for a week and then she had stomach issues - so she was in our bed most of that time. I say you need to let her CIO - that's all that works for me. Im sctually going to be doing this tonight since she's once again back to wanting to sleep with us from 1am on. Ava too is a gymnist at night & I find myself crawled on the bottom of the bed just to get some room - LOL! The main thing for me is that I dont pick her up at al at night, this usualy takes me 2 nights to correct & we're all good again. The typical CIO doesn't work for Ava, so I do go into the room more often to calm her, but it usually takes less then an hour - believe me well worth it as opposed to many sleepless nights...good luck!!
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Katie (35), married to Randy, and a SAHM of 4 beautiful children. Ella (6 1/2- first grade), Owen (5- preschool), Connor (3 1/2), Lilly (19 month...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.