Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Toddler bed vs. twin/etc
bgabert posted:
I'm starting to look into purchasing a bed for DD. She's 15 months now, and I am going to wait a few more months before actually transitioning her, but I was curious. Is it worth purchasing a toddler bed just to turn around a few years down the road and buy a bigger bed?

Should I just buy a twin (or a double, her crib can be changed to a double bed, but doesn't coming with side rails) and one of those safety rails to put on either side? Or just put a mattress on the floor for a few months?

DD is currently in a brace right now because of her DDH, so she isn't able to climb out of her crib because of the restraint on the brace. But, we go for a checkup at the end of the month and I am guessing she will get to come out of it now. So, that being said, she will be much more mobile and I think she'll be climbing out in no time!
Bri (24), DH Jarrod (28), DD Emery (6/15/2009), Baby 2 EDD 2/13/2011

roni090909 responded:
I would go ahead an buy the full bed, since that's what her crib converts to. If you need to you can always put the mattress on the floor, like you said. Personally I would wast the money on the toddler bed.

We are transiting DS to a queen bed in a few weeks. We are only doing the queen because we had an extra one and I don't see the point in buying a new bed. We are buying the safety rails for his bed. Worse case we just put the mattress on the floor for a little while.
Me (30) DH (37) DS 10/20/08 New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

bgabert replied to roni090909's response:
Thanks for the reply Roni.

We have our second baby coming in Feb, so I wanted to get her into the bed before the new baby comes, but I don't want to rush her into something she's not ready for either.

I'll have to invest in a new crib if I decide to switch hers into the double bed. Or.. should I just buy a double bed to put on the floor for her.. use the crib for the new baby, and then once baby can go on the floor on a mattress, put DD in her converted double bed?
Sorry, I'm sort of just thinking out loud, lol!

roni090909 replied to bgabert's response:
I wouldn't buy another crib. I forgot you were pregnant when I replied. I would either go for the full or twin them and just buy the frame or put it on the floor. Personally I would probably just go with the full because they will be able to grow into it better. I also feel like they have more room to roll around in the big beds without falling out or getting close to the rails. Since they are used to being able to do that in their cribs.

We are moving DS's crib to the new baby. She is due in in Oct, so we need to get on this transition. I want DS to be used to the new bed before baby girl arrives.
Me (30) DH (37) DS 10/20/08 New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

bgabert replied to roni090909's response:
Ok, good to know. Thanks for all the info. It's nice to have someone to bash ideas off of, lol.

I'm thinking of just buying the mattress and sticking her on the floor. She was diagnosed with DDH some months ago and is still in a brace, so she isn't walking yet. She tries her damdest to get out of her crib now, but her brace just doesn't allow for a lot of leg movement so she's stuck, haha. Having her right on the floor while she's in this brace gives me a little bit more peace of mind.

Thanks again!

saywhat789 responded:
I ended up getting DD a toddler bed. I figure she can use it until she's 4 or 5 so I'll get my money's worth out of it. But seems that she's still sleeping with me *sigh* and probably will for quite a while I wish I would have just boughten a full size mattress so that I could lay by her and then get up and go lay in my own bed.

Sorry that was no help lol!
~ Mama to Miss M born 07/08/09 ~

earleyml1012 responded:
Our crib was recalled a few months back and while waiting for the one we wanted to be in stock, we just transitioned DD to a twin size bed. I purchased the extra long side rail and pushed the other side up to the wall. She does great in it! We moved her around 18 months, she's 21 months now and Saturday morning was the first time she climbed out of it. We don't have a problem with her climbing out at night but she did fall out once....she was fine. I personally don't see the point in wasting money on a toddler bed when you'll need to purchase another bed when she's older. To help make the transition more exciting for DD, we got new bedding and decorations for her room and made a big deal out of her big girl bed.

sarahaguirre responded:
I'm going to transition DD into a toddler bed before her brother comes. Toddler beds aren't very expensive and they have them at Walmart for $50. The only thing I'll need to buy is another mattress but crib mattresses aren't expensive either. So pretty much what I would pay for a twin mattress I'd pay for the whole toddler bed set. I figured it wouldn't be a waste because once she outgrows it her brother will be ready for it.
Me (27) DH (27) DD Stella born 3/10/2009 Baby Boy's EDD 1/28/11

breezy_83255 responded:
DD1 used a toddler bed. She only used it for about a year before we moved her to a twin. We're not bothering with the toddler bed with DD2. We are very limited on room, so DH is actually building a bunk bed with lots of storage in it. DD1 is currently sleeping in the bottom bed, but when all of the railings are done, she will move to the top bed. DD2 will transition to the lower bed after DD1 gets accustomed to going to sleep on her own (fingers crossed!!). The new baby isn't due until the end of January, and will sleep in a bassinet for a few months, so we're not in a huge hurry. DD2 is a terrific sleeper in her pack 'n play, so I hate to ruin a good thing before I have to.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me(28), DH(33), DS(17 mos) - Keelin @ 15 month appt 23lbs and 30.75 inches.

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.