Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Highchair Advice
sarahaguirre posted:
Even though DD still loves and uses her highchair I feel like she may be getting too big for it, or too heavy at least. I know there's booster seats you can get that attach to your dining room chairs but my problem is that my dinner table is one of those high ones. So the chairs to me are too high and unsafe for her to eat there. Do you know of any other options there are? Or do you have any ideas?
Me (27) DH (27) DD Stella born 3/10/2009 Baby Boy's EDD 1/28/11

magsnemma responded:
I'm not sure that I have any good ideas for you. But I get that the booster seats would be hard with the high sort of dining room chairs. We just have regular chairs but DD pushed her chair over while in the booster seat. I wasn't there but it scared the poo out of poor DH.

The only other thing I can think of would be to get a different table with lower chairs. Not terribly helpful I'm guessing? Sorry, that's a hard one with the higher chairs.
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008)

DDK2005 responded:
Our DD are aroud the same age & I haven't even considered taking her out of the high chair yet, but I'll have to chk her in it tonight to see if its getting too small...could you just pull the highchair up to the table and not use the tray - this way you have the height but not the uncomfort of the tray.
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

saywhat789 responded:
I recently bought a Safety First booster seat from Walmart for $9 or something. It has a seatbelt on it so you can strap the baby in. DD loves it. You would have to lift her in and out but then you could strap her in. I still prefer the highchair though.
~ Mama to Miss M born 07/08/09 ~

sarahaguirre responded:
See my LO is not your average sized 18 month old. She's built of stone, is tall and is a total menace lol. That's why I think she's getting too heavy for her highchair, of course Iost the user manuel so I can't check the weight limit. I don't want to try the booster seat because my chairs are too high and I know she'll probably try to purposly rock the chairs because it would be fun for her. Someone mentioned before that I should try buying a small set of tables and chairs for her to eat at. I think I might give that a whirl.

sarahann1978 replied to sarahaguirre's response:
I bet if you googled your high chair brand and model you could find an online manual to double check the weight limit. Probably most companies have that info on their website.
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

saywhat789 replied to sarahaguirre's response:
What kind of highchair is it? I'm sure if you looked it up on amazon or walmart the weigh limit would be in the description.

sarahaguirre replied to saywhat789's response:
I have no idea who makes them. I bought it new at Once Upon a Child. It's modern looking and folds up flat. I loved it because it wasn't heavy or bulky and it's really thin when folded. I know there's a tag on the back of it I'll have to look at it tonight.

roni090909 responded:
I have one of these that I use in restaraunts right now but I have used it at the house. I am buying one for the house when the new baby arrives. DS likes sitting in it. It attaches to the back of the chair and under the chair, so I think its safe. It also has legs on it that adjust in height to make the kid sit higher at the table. We have the high table and it works great with it.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3553506
Me (30) DH (37) DS 10/20/08 New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

rvehar responded:
My 3 year old still uses her high chair (she is around 31 lbs ) and she does not seem too big for it. I would have moved her into a booster by now, but she loves sitting in it and she eats great in it. You mentioned you might get a small set of table/chairs for her to eat. Be prepared for her to get up many times during eating. Since sitting at their own table/chairs is a new freedom for the little ones. Good luck

saywhat789 responded:
It may be worth it to just buy a nice heavy duty highchair. My Fisher Price one was $80 and I love it. You could probably find one on craigslist for much cheaper as well, and once the new baby comes I think you'll be glad you have it versus having to deal with her at a small table.

earleyml1012 responded:
Have you thought about one of those chairs that clips onto the table? I've never used them but I've seen a lot of people with them in restaurants.

TyPatrick08 responded:
Did not read the rest of the post. I have one of those seats that attatch to the kitchen chairs. I like having it for travel mostly, But Tyler would rather choose to not sit in any kind of booster seat or high chair. he wants to be a "big boy". Another seat I have actually attaches to the table tis made by eddie bauer. i was very skeptical of it the first time but it works great. We usually take that camping. but depending on the weight of you table it might not be a good option. it is amde by eddie-bauer and i know it was bought from target. Tyler eats at his table alot just a lighting McQueen wooden table.
Me (23) DF (25) Tyler born 11-19-08 7lb9oz 20 1/2 inc 18 month check up 26lb 33in

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mama of two amazing kiddos. My son was born in August '08 and my daughter in January '10. I live in the mountains of Color...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.