Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

DD New Room Questions
elegi23 posted:
We are moving soon and DD is soon to have her own room! I'm so excited, but since DD has had her bed in our room since she was born just have a few questions on what we should/shouldn't do in her new room:

1.) Rug? Her room is a pinkish purple with pastel pink trim, but the landlord decided to put in green carpet (he's so cheap I think he bought it used, but it smells new), anyway, it doesn't match. So, the room is about 10 x 12 feet, and I can't decide if I should get a rug that matches better, or if I should get those foam block flooring. I know at BRU, they have pink and brown flooring (her bedding is that color), with the alphabet, that is 6ft by 6ft, but I don't know how well the foam flooring would be compared to an actual rug, or if a rug or foam flooring would even be the best thing for her.

2.) Toys? Her room is right off the living room, so we were planning on putting all of her toys in her room so she could play in there. We have full view of her room from the living room, but now I'm not sure if I should give her a little play area in the living room, so she feels like she's part of hanging with us.... or should I just assume she will drag what toys she wants to play with into the living room?

3.) Baby monitor? Because I will be putting her to bed in her own room now, I won't hear when she gets up, so should I put her baby monitor in our room? The rooms are right next to each other, but our door is on the other side of the house, but the bedroom's share a wall (if that makes sense.) I'm just not sure if anyone still uses one.

I think that's all the questions I have. Any suggestions are appreciated too! TIA!
Me (22), DH(30) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/09
TTC2 (since 05/10)

TyPatrick08 responded:
As far as the floor in her room I would just buy a bigger area rug... you may see the outside of the green rug but what are you going to do its a rental and we all have delt with landlords that are cheap! Her toys if it where me I would set up in her room and your right she will probably just drag out what she wants to paly with... I know it amkes my life easier to have one spot for toys and Tyler helps clean up before his bath. I dont hear anything at night so I need the baby monitor next to me... i will hear that but I would not hear him in his room. So yes i use mine still! Good Luck we are in the middle of moving also so I understand all the should I do this or that!
Me (23) DF (26) Tyler born 11-19-08 7lb9oz 20 1/2 inc 18 month check up 26lb 33in

earleyml1012 responded:
1) I'd go with an area rug. I'm not sure how it would be to clean those foam things.

2) DD's room is back the hallway a little from our living room and we keep toys in both spots. She knows when it's time to put them away where they all go. I find this easier b/c she's not a big fan of playing alone yet, so having the toys right there is easier for us. Having some in her room helps with the clutter of the living room.

3) We still use a baby monitor b/c her crying isn't as loud as when she was a baby. I think we'll use it until she's old enough to realize that she can just come into our room to wake us up.

Good luck with your move!!

DDK2005 responded:
Good luck with the move...
1) I would use a large area rug as well. JC Penny's usually has decent ones on sale.

2) Toys: I would keep most of them in her rm and maybe a few in the living room. She will just bring more out and just have her clean up before bedtime. That's what I do with Ava & it works out.

3) I still use the monitor for Ava & we too share a wall, but honestl there are times I am so tired that I cant hear her without it. I leave it on low, but it helps.
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

ad1978 responded:
I must be a very light sleeper! LO's room is down the hall...we now keep her door closed at night (mine is open), and I no longer use a monitor at night. If she needs me, I definitely hear her, lol. But again, I'm a light sleeper!

elegi23 replied to ad1978's response:
Thanks for the help everyone. I will most likely get a rug, because I'm worried about her ripping apart those foam pieces and chewing on them and tearing them apart. I have a little destructive child. Makes for more fun that way.

I'm still undecided as far as the toys. I think I'm just going to see how it goes when we move in. It's slowly approaching and I'm really excited. We should get our floors next week, for the kitchen and bathroom, then we just have a little bit of painting and touch up, and the kitchen pipes need to be replaced, just for safefy.
Me (22), DH(30) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/09 TTC2 (since 05/10)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I are high school sweethearts and have been married since 2005. Our DS, Kayden Riley was born June 9, 2009. I love being a mom!! Hopefu...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.