Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Yogurt Melts & Baby Food
elegi23 posted:
Last night one of DH's friends came over and needed a sitter for her grandson for about an hour. Now, this little boy is 9 months old, his parents are a little young, his mom is 14 and his dad is 15. Now I'm not saying anything about that situation because that's enough drama in itself but may explain what happened.

Anyway, DD and this little boy were playing on the floor and I gave her some yogurt melts to snack on and she starts feeding them to this little boy. It was very cute that she was sharing, and this little boy loved these yogurt melts. Well, next thing I know his grandma comes upstairs and starts freaking out about how he's not allowed to eat anything. I apologized thinking he had an allergy and I just didn't know, but she goes on to say that he has NEVER been fed cereal, baby food, puffs, yogurt melts and is still on formula only. I asked her why, and she said that his Mom thinks that he's still too young for food and should be formula fed until he's one. Really? Is it just me or is that a little extreme? Don't kids, once they reach a certain age need that extra nutrition? Now, this little kid isn't underweight or small, he's actually a little chubby, but is it just me or are they a little crazy for not giving a 9 month old baby no solid foods at all? And I asked, it has nothing to do with any health problems, the Mom just doesn't want him to have solids yet.

Should I feel bad for giving him yogurt melts? He knew how to eat them. He was picking them up and putting them in his mouth and he has more teeth than my DD. I don't know, I just want to make sure I'm not crazy. But if I am let me know. LOL!
Me (22), DH(30) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/09
TTC2 (since 05/10)

earleyml1012 responded:
I've found that every parent is different and to not question their decisions even if it sounds crazy to you. We had friends who didn't feed their baby anything other than breast milk and baby food until she was over 1 b/c they were afraid of choking. She had only three teeth and the parents felt she need more before she could have puffs. When she was like 8 months they were over and I offered a puff to the baby, the mom broke it until 4ths before giving her a piece. She choked on it a little and the mom totally freaked out. She probably choked b/c it was too small. Anyway, once they took a baby CPR class then they started her on real foods.

Don't feel bad you didn't know. If the mom says something, be honest and say you assumed since he was older that he was on solid foods. You didn't do anything wrong. It wasn't like he was choking.

DDK2005 responded:
You're not crazy - a 9 month old should be eating, but like the PP said its not your call. As long as the baby seems healthy & well taken care of then its something her pediatrician needs to talk to her about. Everyone is different, but I would think the grandmother would guide the mom better - she may just not know better right now. She is very very very young. Fear of choking is not an excuse - do you not bathe the baby for fear of drowning...ok Im being mean. :)
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

breezy_83255 responded:
They must be giving him adequate amounts of formula for him to look so healthy. Because of that, I'm agreeing with pp's- try to abide by their rules. In my opinion, they may be playing with fire as far as the not choking idea, though. The gag reflex is going to be extra sensitive without the introduction of solids, and it may actually increase his likelihood of choking.

I always think of my SIL's brother and wife. They also didn't want to feed their daughter anything but breast milk for almost a year. The child didn't have a banana until after age one. This little girl, however, suffered from it. She went from a chubby, very healthy baby to an underweight baby. Her pediatrician fianally had to threaten them to get them to feed their daughter. Luckily, they learned their lesson and their second baby was fed on a "normal" schedule.

mol13 responded:
It doesn't make much sense for a formula-fed baby not to have solids, but it isn't too uncommon for a breastfed baby who is doing baby-led weaning to not have any interest in food yet.

But again, not your call. An honest mistake.

elegi23 replied to mol13's response:
Luckily, I'm not watching him very often, and it was just a one time thing. She just didn't leave me with any instructions, and one bottle. Its like she thought I was just supposed to automatically know. He seems pretty healthy, so it's not my call, I was just really surprised I guess.
Me (22), DH(30) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/09 TTC2 (since 05/10)

kristinrayerootes responded:
Poor guy! I kind of feel bad for the little kid. It seems like he is interested in food. Given that he knows how to eat, I wonder if somebody is giving him food. I wouldn't feel bad at all for giving it to him beings as the majority of babies his age would have been eating solids. Given how expensive formula is, I am surprised they wouldn't want to supplement with some solid food that would be cheaper. Since they are so young though and probably not employed, I would guess they qualify for WIC? Anyway, to each his own, but this baby definitely shows the signs of being ready for solid food.

Emmyl responded:
With the parent's being so young, it seems to me like they would need some gentle guidance and advice on how to take care of the baby. I don't know anything about them, they could be the most mature 14 and 15 year olds on the planet, but I know that even an adult with their first child needs a little help sometimes. Lord knows I do! It may not be affecting his health, but it may affect how easily he takes to new foods down the road. Are they taking him to his well baby appointments? Our pediatrician gave us a lot of advise on when to start solid foods and on just about every part of DS's development thus far.

cheeezie25 responded:
No, I totally agree with you. I don't even think it is just the nutrition which is necessary for a child that age (which it is), but it is important to get them learning new textures and tastes to ensure that they are comfortable eating a variety of foods later in life.

What I am confused about is why grandma hasn't stepped in to guide her child (and let's face it, a fourteen year old is still a child and not equipped to be raising a child on her own) in the whole child-rearing process. It makes me think that the grandmother might be the one telling the daughter not to give him solids, because I would think any reasonable grandparent would have made sure their grandchild was eating age-appropriate food regardless of what the fourteen year old mom thought. Did you ask why the grandmother hasn't educated her daughter on baby/toddler nutrition, or at least bought her a book to guide her through the process?

TyPatrick08 responded:
The true fact here is that solids give no nutrition to babies under the age of one years old. The reason for begining to give babies solids usually starting between 4-6 months of age is for practice. It does not give them much nutrition it just introduces them to food, textures, and taste>>> Overtime you give the baby different things to teach them how to eat, chew, and swallow. He probably is a little chubby because of the amount of formula he gets in a day he probably still drinks 32oz of formula. But at any rate this baby should be eating some form of solids... I mean my guy was eating steak at 9 months LOL. If I where you I would of offered a yougurt melt also to share. I would think that their pediatrician asks about where he is at with solids.. I wonder if they tell the truth? They will have a rude awaking when they do go to feed him a full meal of solids he wont know what to do and probably will not know how to eat it. Well Good Luck to them I am sure they will figure it out... but its their choice to feed their child how they wish as long as he is getting something... and Formula is just fine to eat up to one years old.
Me (23) DF (26) Tyler born 11-19-08 7lb9oz 20 1/2 inc 18 month check up 26lb 33in

breezy_83255 responded:
So, if they don't start baby food until after age 1, when will they allow him to eat actual people food? It makes me think of a Super Nanny I saw once where she was with a family in England and they were still putting their dinner in the blender every night for the 2 year old twins!!!! They just couldn't understand why the boys didn't like to eat dinner! Jo nearly lost her dinner when she saw them puree their ENTIRE meal in one blender and try to feed it to their toddlers.

**My girls did a form of baby led weaning. They were eating what we were eating long before a year- they LOVED their food!

scperdomo responded:
That does sound a bit off to me. DS started wanting to eat our food around 5 months! We would only give him tastes here and there, mashed potatoes, avocados, bananas, etc. But he definitely started eating the puffs and yogurt melts around 6 months. He was eating 3rd stage foods by 8 months and steak, chicken, turkey, etc by 9/10 months. I can understand why they might continue to give him formula.... its easier.

There were days when DS was a pain to feed and it was just so much easier to give him a bottle of BM than to mess with it, so that could be a factor as well. But it sounds like he is interested in other food. Maybe you could give mom some information about introducing new foods, she probably just doesnt have the information she needs and it sounds like grandma isnt helping the issue either.

Either way, not much you can do about it, but as long as the kid looks healthy, I wouldnt be TOO worried about it.

elegi23 replied to scperdomo's response:
I never thought of it being easier to just feed a baby a bottle. DD loved to eat solids so much I never really thought of it as a hard task.

On a better note, we went over to their house yesterday and the grandma let DD share her snacks, so I'm thinking that maybe she saw how much her grandson loved eating melts and has been trying to introduce solids to him now???? :-)
Me (22), DH(30) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/09 TTC2 (since 05/10)

Spotlight: Member Stories

love of my life Callie Morgan born 10-30-08 via csection 7 lbs 11oz 20in

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.