Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

2nd Birthday Party....
TyPatrick08 posted:
For those of us Mommies who have a toddler who is close to turning 2 years old... got any party plans? I still cant get over the fact that my little guy is 2 months shy of turning 2 years old!! I cried when I schedule his appt!! Just curious to see what everyone has planned for the big 2nd Birthday!

For us we are still a little undecided.... We had a HUGE 1st Birthday Party>>> all the cousins, Aunts and Uncles and even Great Aunts and Uncles and of course all of our friends! It was alot of fun and went really well we had plenty of food lots of love and Tyler seemed to enjoy hsi self! But it was very overwhleming setting ecerything up for the party.

For his 2nd Birthday party we have talked about doing an Elmo theme Tyler is kind of in love with him at this time. But I think I am going to keep the invites to Closer friends and fmaily who see him on a regualr basis and ahve their own small children so they can play games and such. Any suggestions on games for toddlers.. most of his "friends" are 3 to 5 years old. I ahve thought about having someone in an Elmo costume but anyone with expierence with toddlers and characters please let me know how it went. Thanks and happy planning to all!
Me (23) DF (26) Tyler born 11-19-08 7lb9oz 20 1/2 inc 18 month check up 26lb 33in
FirstPrevious12NextLast

cheeezie25 responded:
No real plans yet. We had a small gathering for DS's first birthday, so I have to decide if I want to keep it the same or expand it a bit. I think I would like to invite some of our friends who have young children so DS has some friends he can play with, but if we do that, I will probably have to rent out a place because our apt is just not large enough to hold more than like 10-12 people a toddler comfortably.

DS's first birthday was an Elmo theme. I am kinda leaning towards Handy Manny for his 2nd birthday, but it isn't set in stone. I will probably take him to the party store towards the end of the year and let DS pick out his theme lol. Right now, I think Handy Manny is his fave though, but who knows, it may change by then.

magsnemma responded:
Our LO's have the same birthday!

We had a party for DD's first birthday but I think I'm going to not have a party this year. We don't have a lot of friends in the area and no family. I think we might go to the children's museum or if it's warm enough, to the park. And of course some fun cupcakes or birthday cake.

I don't have any experience with someone dressing up at a party, but the smaller kids might get scared of him. I'm sure whatever you do will be great though. It's so much fun to plan this stuff!
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008)

sarahann1978 responded:
I have not started party planning yet as ours is in January, so I have to get through the other holidays first. I just wanted to suggest that we had a Sesame Street theme for DS and I found this cool game, I think it is called Elmo's Hot Tomato. It's a little plush tomato with Elmo's face on it. You squeeze it and it starts to shake and giggle like the tickle me Elmo. Everyone tosses it around like hot potato and eventually it stops shaking/giggling and that person is out. It was a huge hit and simple enough that even little kids get it. Our only problem was at 1 year old it scared DS, but everyone else loved it.
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

Silver623 responded:
DS has a September birthday so we did his 2nd birthday party at his favorite park. It was a Backyardigans theme since he loved that show at the time. We didn't have games, just food, cake, presents and playing at the park. 3-5 year olds can get into pin the tail on the donkey (or Elmo), simon says, musical chairs. You could do a craft of some sort. Have them decorate their own cupcakes, cookies or do make your own sundaes? I just had DS' 4 year party and we decorated paper bags (nice colored ones with handles) with puffy stickers and markers and then used those bags to collect candy from the pinata. Most pinatas these days are pull strings, not ones you need a bat or broom handle for, so they are safe for little ones. Our group of 4 year olds LOVED it.

Not sure about the Elmo. DS at 2 would have crapped his pants literally, if a life-size Elmo came up to him. DD at 17 months would probably give him kisses. Hard to say but you are likely to have a few fearful kids at the party.

eliguns841984 replied to cheeezie25's response:
FYI: Handy Manny stuff is hard to find in stores. I found it online and this website was SO cheap! DS loved his Handy Manny birthday :)

http://www.birthdaydirect.com/handy-manny-birthday-party-supplies-c-1076_2617.html
Noel (25) DH Johnny (31) DS born 7/23/2008 DS2 EDD 11/17/2010

cheeezie25 responded:
Wait, I almost forgot about this, but I think you mentioned before that you live in the Philly area before? If so, have you ever taken you DS to Sesame Place? That would probably be a good way to determine whether he can handle a life-size Elmo! I haven't taken my DS there yet, but I plan to soon, so if I remember, I can always report back on how that goes lol. The only "characters" he's seen were random people dressed up in costume on the boardwalk this summer, and there were mxed opinions. I think he liked the giant Boardwalk Fries man but found Mr. Peanut horrifying.

cheeezie25 replied to eliguns841984's response:
Thanks! I will check that out!!

cdjd82406 responded:
I don't have any plans as of yet since Ashleigh's b-day is on Christmas Eve. If we do anything it might just be something really small.
Me(28), Hubby (26), Brooke (9), Marcus (5 1/2), Jennifer (3 1/2), Ashleigh (19 months), Emily Nichole (7/18/10)

DDK2005 responded:
2nd Birthday???? OMG I cant even think about it without it breaking my heart - where did the time go....luckily I have 6 months for reality to hit me.

As for the characters - I know Ava s terrified of them, but I know some kids love them. Good Luck!
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

earleyml1012 responded:
DD's birthday is the beginning of December, so I've started to think about it. The theme will be Jungle and I plan on taking a stab at trying the Wilton Animal Cracker cake pan to make either a monkey or tiger cake. DH doesn't want to have the party at our house b/c he doesn't think it's big enough. The only people that will probably come are grandparents and a few of our friends, so I don't see the problem. If we don't have it at our house, I'm not sure where we'd have it since it will be too cold to have it outside.

We've never seen how DD would react around a life size character but we did go to a 2 yr old bday party that had a life size Elmo. The older kids loved him but the little ones were totally freaked out. As soon as he left the birthday girl started asking about him but while he was there she cried and hung onto her mom. I think I'd wait a few years for the life size characters but that's just me.

TyPatrick08 replied to cheeezie25's response:
Cheezie I do live out of Philly.... We planned on taking him to sesame next year. Its freakin $52 to get in that palce! Ahh either he will freak with life size Elmo or he may like him we could always get rid of Elmo if hes not to happy about it.
Me (23) DF (26) Tyler born 11-19-08 7lb9oz 20 1/2 inc 18 month check up 26lb 33in

ad1978 replied to TyPatrick08's response:
Re: Sesame Place...we were going to wait until this Fall, but then found out that

a) it is expensive!

b) it's a bit of a drive (over 1.5 hour), and I don't know how long she'd be able to hang there without a nap.

c) apparently the water park is a big part of it, so you'd want it to be hot out (oops)...the rides and other activities might be geared more for at least 2 yr olds...so I think I'm going to postpone this until next summer :)

cheeezie25 replied to ad1978's response:
I thought the same thing about the admission price, but one of DH's coworkers gave him a bunch of coupons for Sesame Place (I think they were from Wawa?). They are for $6 off admission per person right now, but if you wait until the end of September and into October, you get $20 per person off of admission! Each coupon is good for up to 6 people, so if you guys are interested, I can mail you some of the spare coupons... let me know!

earleyml1012 replied to ad1978's response:
ad1978 - If you use this promo code for a weekend visit at Sesame place from 9/25 - 10/31, you can save $20 per ticket up to 6 tickets. Just go to purchase tickets, promo code and enter: SESAMEPAMPERS

I wanted to take DD in October since the tickets would only be $33 but DH thinks she needs to wait a year until she's a little older.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kim and my husband is Rick. We have one girl, Sydney Mira. She is 17 months old. We are happy to be blessed with this happy little girl! Sh...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.