Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Leg stuck in crib
sarahaguirre posted:
Last night Stella woke us up at 1:30 saying "Owww" and calling out "mommy". She NEVER wakes up in the middle of the night so DH runs to her crib and sees her fot is stuck in one of the crib slats. He said it was stuck pretty good. Luckily she's fine and there isn't even a bruise. Her crib bumper was pushed down a little but her foot was stuck further up then where her bumper would have been pulled up all the way. This sounds dumb but is this a sign that she's out grown her crib? I just don't know if this is a fresk thing or if this is common.
Me (27) DH (27) DD Stella born 3/10/2009 Baby Boy's EDD 1/28/11
FirstPrevious12NextLast

bgabert responded:
I've heard of a couple people having kids that have done this.. so it's not a totally freak thing!

I don't know how you feel on the topic, but I am not moving DD to a toddler bed until she's "ready". Also, our crib says it goes up to kids 35" in length. Well, she's almost there. So, once she hits 35" I will be moving her.
Bri (24), DH Jarrod (28), DD Emery (6/15/2009), Baby Boy EDD 2/13/2011

cheeezie25 replied to bgabert's response:
Bri, That is interesting about the 35". I never knew or heard about that before! Was that in the manual, or did you read this somewhere? I am just wondering if it is a standard thing, or specific to certain cribs.

sarahaguirre replied to bgabert's response:
I've never heard of that either but then again I've never read her crib manuel. She's 33 1/2 inches so not quite to 35 yet. I guess I'll wait it out and see if it happens again. The other night I did hear her wimpering in her sleep and moving around. I hope it wasn't her foot then. Either way she managed to get it out. I think she's pretty ready as far as her bed but I'm not ready to go there yet. She's really mature as far as sleeping. All you have to do is ask her if she's ready for bed and she'll run to the bathroon get her teeth brushed and then run right to her crib. We kiss her goodnight and she is out until she wakes up.

bgabert replied to sarahaguirre's response:
Good question. I can't remember where I read it. But I will take a look right now and see what I can find!

The crib I have is StorkCraft Meghan stages crib.
I haven't had a problem with DD getting her leg stuck, but the space between each slat seems to be smaller than on other cribs. Maybe that's why!

Anyways, I'll do some digging and get back to you guys!

cheeezie25 replied to bgabert's response:
Thanks! Yeah, I think I'm going to transition my DS out of his crib soon anyway, but if that is true, maybe it will need to be sooner rather than later (he was 34 inches at his last appt)!

magsnemma responded:
I just looked up my crib manual since I was curious as well. It states in there that once the child reaches 35 inches, the crib should no longer be used, and should be converted to the toddler bed. It's on the warnings page where they tell you if you don't follow the directions, your child could get hurt. (I'm a tech writer, I wish I could use that line in my docs.)

Eek! DD has got to be close to that. I'm so glad this came up.

BTW, I have the Amy Coe Westport crib, if that helps anyone.
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008)

cheeezie25 replied to magsnemma's response:
Wow, that is very good to know! I tried to look up my crib's manual online, but I couldn't find it. Looks like someone will bebed shopping this weekend! I never even thought of this... good call!

bgabert replied to cheeezie25's response:
I am not sure if it's every crib.. I guess it all depends on the distance between the lowest mattress setting and the top rail of the crib.

I searched online everywhere, and can't find where I found that out. I bought the crib from sears.ca and I swear it was somewhere on there. But, I'll have a look when I get home for the manual and see what I can find.

If you are worried, I'd just send an email to your crib manufacturer's customer service department and see if they know!

sarahaguirre responded:
Eeeeek! That's great info! I never even thought of a crib having a height limit but it makes sense. We might be shopping for a bed too this weekend. Atleast get the ball rolling and then we might do the actual switch in like a month. Ugh, I'm so not looking forward to this.

magsnemma replied to sarahaguirre's response:
I know how you feel. I never would've thought about this either. At least for mine, we can still use the crib, just convert it to the toddler bed version.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that 35 inches might be the height at which a majority of toddlers can climb out, so I think it's a legal CYA thing for the company too. Because the mattress is still long enough.

My other clue DD might be getting ready to move out of the crib, I walk in this morning and catch her with her leg over the top and she smiles and tells me she's climbing. Uh oh. :)
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008)

saywhat789 responded:
My Graco crib has the 35" limit too. And my DD got her leg stuck twice last night! I'm just glad I know how to get it out. Straighten it, twist it a little bit and remove. Very easy and painless.
~ Mama to Miss M born 07/08/09 ~

sarahann1978 responded:
Last weekend DS got his whole knee stuck in the slats. He woke up from his afternoon nap and I heard him scream so I went in and it was wedged in there good. I figure he was trying to get his leg in there to get out, but his legs were no where near the top. I could not get it unstuck so I yelled for DH who came in and put pressure on the slats while I helped get DS's leg out. It was scary, but I think it was a fluke thing, so unless it happens again I'm not switching to a bed yet.
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

saywhat789 replied to sarahann1978's response:
Yeah that's what I meant when DD got her leg stuck. They stick their leg through the slats and then bend their knee and you can't get it out. You just straighten their leg to thin out their knee and twist it a little bit. - Just do the opposite of what they do to get it stuck. The first time that happened it was scary! I thought I was going to have to cut the crib apart!
~ Mama to Miss M born 07/08/09 ~

breezy_83255 responded:
DD2 started sticking her legs and arms out of her crib the minute we moved her into it at 3 months. She also frequently banged her head on the side. If I put the bumper back on, she just tried to suffocate herself in it. I finally gave up and she's been in a pack 'n play ever since! I'm glad, though, because our crib was one of the ones not only recalled for the faulty drop side, but also for the bed fram that is known to bend and cause suffocation/entrapment.

I never even thought about a maximum height. I bet the pack 'n play has one as well. I'll have to check into that!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me, DH, and THREE girls! Plus two labs, a cat, and 20 guppies.

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.