Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Taxi's and car seats?
sarahann1978 posted:
I know it's been discussed before, but I am not certain of the answer, so I'm going to ask again. When you take DC in a taxi do you strap in your carseat, or just hold them on your lap?

We are going to San Francisco in late October and taking DS. While in the city we are not getting a car and will rely on public transportation. We will probably take one of those van shuttles from the airport too, does anyone know the policy for those? I'm not as worried about that because they are usually parked for a while as people load up, so strapping in a car seat is not as big a deal, but with the taxi's, they are always in a hurry.

Thanks for any help with this!
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

magsnemma responded:
My advice would be to contact one of the cab companies in the Bay area and ask them. One of the companies is yellowtaxicab.org. They're the company I use when I travel to San Jose for work and they service SF airport too.

I've also booked a cab ahead of time to get to the airport, but I'm pretty sure you could also book one to pick you up at the airport. You could let them know that you'll have a car seat to install. That way you don't have to worry about waiting in the taxi line, and them being in a hurry, although they might start the meter while you're installing it.

I've been looking into this as well because DH is going to fly into San Jose with DD in November, since I'll be there for work.

Hope that helps, it's really confusing and the law isn't totally clear.
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008)

sarahaguirre responded:
I don't know much about Taxi's but my cousin needed a taxi and took her 18 month son with her. She strapped him to her own carseat and he waited for her to install it. I don't know if he started the meter already but I'm guessing so. I have also seen people waiting for taxi's before with their kid and the carseat next to them so they could use it. Like I said I don't know much about it but I would assume they would have to wait for you to put the carseat in regardless of how much in a hurry they are. I would think they don't want the ticket if a cop were to see your DS in your lap. My guess is the biggest issue would be where you were going to store it while you went sight seeing.
Me (27) DH (27) DD Stella born 3/10/2009 Baby Boy's EDD 1/28/11

lenono97 responded:
You will have to check with the individual companies and what the laws are. We went to FL last winter and I remember the shuttle people were willing to bring one for us or we could use and install are own. However, I looked in to the laws for taxi cabs in New York City and they actually did not require a child to be in a car seat. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to install a car seat in a cab and the cabby might not be thrilled about the idea of waiting around. Another thing to think about, depending on what you will be doing, it would be pretty hard to lug a car seat around all day.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Catherine (28). DH (40). DSD (14). DSS (9). DS (17 months). Surprise LO EDD 10/4/10! I am a SAHM/In-Home Daycare Provider. I love, love, love what I ...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.