Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Giving up bottle?
Susan1777 posted:
Hey ladies, I only lurk here, but I need help. My daughter is 16 months, and while she's been using sippy cups and cups w/ straws since before 1 year old for both water AND milk, she refuses to drink her "before bed" milk out of a cup.....she screams and screams and screams for a bottle. I know it must be the comfort of the sucking motion like w/ paci's, but does anyone have any help on how to rid her of this habit?
Of course my mom says not to push kids into anything...they'll quit when they're ready, but I know kids would take bottles/paci's for forever if you let them.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Susan

sarahaguirre responded:
I don't think I would stress about it too much if it's just once a day. Have you tried the NUK trainer cup? They sell them in the bottle section. They have a super soft silicon top and is pretty close to a botttle. When I broke DD of the bottle that is the only cup she would take for a long time. Then one day she was fine with using any other sippy cup. Give it a try and if she doesn't like it then I wouldn't push it. Just keep trying every once in awhile and I bet one day she will take it.

Also, is she falling alseep with the bottle? If so I would try giving her milk before she wants to go to sleep. Like with a snack or by itself like 20 minutes before she will fall asleep. This might help with the transition and break the habit of sleeping with a drink. DD gets a bath, gets dressed for bed, gets her milk, hangs out on the couch for 15 min, gets her teeth brushed and then put to sleep.
Me (27) DH (27) DD Stella born 3/10/2009 Baby Boy's EDD 1/28/11

Susan1777 replied to sarahaguirre's response:
No, she definitely doesn't fall asleep w/ the bottle. Her schedule is almost exactly like your DD's. Bath, milk, then plays about 1/2 hour, brushes her teeth, and then right to bed.
She'll do milk out of any sippy cup or straw cup if I give it to her other than before bed or a nap......but when she's tired, and I try w/ a cup, several kinds of cups, and she throws a fit. I guess I'll just keep trying cups to see if she one day just takes it.

Thanks!

QTpie2009 replied to Susan1777's response:
Yes as pp said... we bought a sippy cup that has a soft tubular-looking tip (may even be the one she suggested above). I would give that to DS before bed instead of the bottle. Then I would sneak in his other sippys every so often and now it doesn't matter which sippy he uses before bed.
Me(27), DH(30), DS Kayden Riley born 06/09/09.

breezy_83255 responded:
My peds suggestion was to slowly water the milk/formula down until they're basically drinking water. Eventually they'll just give up on it. I did that with my DD, and for a long time she was actually drinking a bottle of warm water that had not even a scoop of formula- YUCK!! She just decided one night that she was done. However, she also decided that she wasn't done with the sucking and started using a paci. We're working on weaning her off of that now, but I'm not pushing it too hard. She weaned herself off the breast and decided on her own to be done with the bottle, her personality is one that I think she'll just give up the paci out of the blue.

Just as a side note, my DD is 16 months and does not get a cup or bottle of milk at night. We have dinner (she drinks out of a cup at dinner, so she doesn't get a huge amount), sometimes plays for a bit, bath, teeth, bed.

Susan1777 replied to QTpie2009's response:
Thanks, I think I'll try that kind of sippy cup and see if that works.
Was on ITSG since May of 2004....due to PCOS, tubal, and male factor issues, 5 years of TTC, numerous surgeries, IUI's, and 3 IVF's later, our little girl, Shelby, was born on 5/29/09.

Susan1777 replied to breezy_83255's response:
Hmmm, something to think about then. thanks
Was on ITSG since May of 2004....due to PCOS, tubal, and male factor issues, 5 years of TTC, numerous surgeries, IUI's, and 3 IVF's later, our little girl, Shelby, was born on 5/29/09.

LuvMyKids1979 responded:
When we switched our daughter to a cup at bed time she did the same thing. But she didn't like cold milk in her bottle, yet she would drink cold milk in her cup all day. So we started giving her a bottle with cooler milk each night until it was cold, and then she had no problem switching to the cup.

Now she is almost 16 mos also, and she is refusing giving up milk before bedtime, even if she has it a bit before bed. She insists on having milk in her cup, which I hate to do after she gets her teeth brushed. I just started watering it down last night, so we will see how this goes!

Susan1777 replied to LuvMyKids1979's response:
Thanks, ever since I started her on cups, I just gave her cold milk anyway...hoping the "warm" reason was why she only wanted the bottle....so when the cup was refused before bed, I only gave her cold milk in the bottle....didn't matter...still wants the bottle....temp of the milk wasn't the issue I guess...darn it, lol.

I'll just keep trying . Thanks!

cheeezie25 responded:
That sounds alot like what happened with my DS. He could drink his milk out of a sippy (he drank water and juice out of a sippy), but he refused to do so. The before bed bottle was the hardest one to get rid of, and I don't think he was 100% off the bottle until he was about 18 months old. I think we actually did it while we were on vacation for a week. His routine was totally different, so I think he forgot about it a bit?

Anyway, I would wait until you have a little bit of an offbeat weekend or something... like you are visiting family or out and about... and give her milk at dinner instead of bed, and then just let her fall asleep in the car ride home. After two days of donig that, it might be easier to get rid of the bottle during her usual routine, because she will be a little bit thrown off anyway from the different activity during the weekend.

Another tip... do NOT keep bottles within view of your DD when you are trying to make the transition. Out of sight really does equal out of mind at this age lol. And don't worry about making the transition right away... I know I've read some things that say the baby should be off the bottle totally by 12 months, but our pediatrician said the real age is more around 18 months, so you still have some time (and hey, if you don't hit the deadline, who cares?).

Susan1777 replied to cheeezie25's response:
Thanks, our pedi says 18 months too, and I thought several months back that the transition was too easy to the sippy.....but that was before I tried to switch the before bed bottle.

Trying on "offbeat weekend" distractor does sound good....her schedule does get wonky when we go to his Aunt's on Sundays, so that might help.

Unfortunately, she's figured out the top kitchen cabinet that I keep them in, so she stands in the kitchen screaming and pointing up to that cabinet....arrgh, lol.

Thanks for the tips!

earleyml1012 replied to Susan1777's response:
At this age, the before bed bottle is more of a habit than a necessity. One night try explaining to her that she's a big girl and that bottles are for babies, so you gave all of her bottles away. Seriously when she's not looking throw them away so that you aren't tempted to give in. We did this with the paci and the first night was tough (CIO all over again) but it got easier each night. We just kept reminding her that pacis were given to the babies. If you still want to give her milk, we just give DD a sippy of milk after dinner and let her drink out of it during the evening when she chooses. Before bath/bed, I'll ask her one last time if she wants anymore. Good luck! I find that just taking something away works easier than gradually doing it. That could just be my DD though.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My DH & I are 26, live in Alabama and our first/only child, our son, turned 1 July 26, 2011! At birth he weighed 9 lbs 10 oz & was 21 inches l...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.