Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Discipline
sdadkin posted:
Hi! I'm new to this site. I've been following this board for awhile now, but this is my first post. I have a 14 month old son and I am 9 weeks pregnant with my second.

My son has just started throwing temper tantrums. When I tell him no, he hits his head on the ground or he tries to bite his hand. Here recently he has also been sticking his fingers in his throat to make a choking sound. I don't know how to get him to stop!

What kind of disciplining techniques work for everyone else? Is he too young for time outs? He is understanding me more and more every day. He is getting so smart!

earleyml1012 responded:
We do time-outs for discipline. When DD is doing something she shouldn't she gets 2 warnings and then time-out. This even applies to cry/whinning when she wants something. I personally think after 1 they can understand time-out. The first few times I had to sit with her b/c she kept trying to get up. When she's whinning I tell her that as soon as she's finished crying and ready to use her words then she may get up. However, if I put her in time-out for being bad (hitting) she stays for about a minute. Then I remind her why she was in time-out. Hope this helps a little.

Gonnamissmyson replied to earleyml1012's response:
I agree with the PP. I put DD in timeout if shes starts doing something bad. If shes crying I tell her she cant get out till she stops. Its only for a minute or 2. I dont leave her in there to long. It also helps that she knows what time out is because when we are out somewhere and she starts acting up I tell her "Do you want to go do timeout" and she will say no and will stop. At daycare they have a timeout chair and so at home I got her one thats in her room so she knows where to go.

Poisongirl98 responded:
I think you need to step in immediately to redirect his hitting his head on the ground and biting...he feels the need to outlet his anger physically, which to some extent is TOTALLY NORMAL for a 14-month old. He can hit a pillow or bite on something else. I'm not sure if putting him in timeout is going to help that right now. My son kind of throws temper tantrums, but as of now they don't last too long. Usually I redirect him and he's fine after 30 seconds or less. If he is starting to do something he's not supposed to be doing I tell him no. He responds sometimes, but doesn't always follow through. Luckily for me he usually doesn't get too mad, but if he keeps on doing it, I go over to him and tell him no and kind of get in his face, remove him, and tell him in simple language why I don't want him doing it. When he starts whining because he wants something (it's almost always food and this usually only happens when he's tired or not feeling well), I just look at him with either a "you're crazy" look or a neutral look, wait until he calms down, model the word or a word I know he already says regularly, and wait until he's calm. This is working for now, but I may just beginning the phase. Hope this helps. I may need to implement time-outs one day but so far what I've been doing has been effective.

Poisongirl98 replied to Poisongirl98's response:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound "bossy" in my 1st sentence. I also wanted to add that I've been trying to praise DS (who's also 14 months) when he listens or when I redirect him and he's doing something he "should" be doing.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Sarah. I live in Surprise, Arizona. My husband and I have been married for 2 years and have a beautiful baby girl Stella.

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.