Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Baby shower for second pregnancy?
sdadkin posted:
I am 9 weeks pregnant with my second child (my son is 14 months old). I ended up having 3 baby showers for my first pregnancy (one from my friends, one from my family, and one from his family) and I was wondering if it's acceptable to have a shower for your second pregnancy? I don't really need anything new since I still have all of everything from last time. Just diapers and wipes mainly and hopefully some pink stuff if it's a girl (fingers crossed). Should I do a new registry? I know it's a little early to be thinking about baby showers, but I was just wondering.

bgabert responded:
I'm having a Baby "Sprinkle"!
The next baby is a different gender, so I'll need some clothes, and all the staple items (diapers, wipes, etc etc) and so by having a "Sprinkle" my BFF is telling people that I don't need big items, just the staples. It's more just for all my friends/family to get together!

I did a registry, just because by doing that I got an awesome discount at this store until Baby turns 1. But, I don't think it hurts! You can always put down the clothes you want, the diapers and sizes you need (if the store has those) and other cool things.

All in all, I think it's wrong NOT to celebrate the next baby. I figure just because they are the second baby, why shouldn't they get their baby shower too? They are just as important as the first one was!
Bri (24), DH Jarrod (28), DD Emery (6/15/2009), Baby Boy EDD 2/13/2011

mel07430 replied to bgabert's response:
Lurking----

My mom and friends also had a "sprinkle" for me. I am having a boy this time and didnt need alot of the big items since we got all those for my DD in neutral colors. I mostly needed clothes and accesories. It was alot of fun. My mom and MIL got us the Double Sit n Stand stroller.

I did not register for anything..... I felt funny doing that.

DDK2005 responded:
Im on my second pregnancy, I too, had 1 shower with friends, 1 with my family & 1 w/ my DH family. I do have most of what I need of course we'll have to buy the staples a double stroller, a sit and stand, etc...but I do not expect another shower, especially so close to my other one (Ava will be less then 2). My co-workers will probably throw me a shower, and I may register for some things because I know some people will want to buy bigger items then just clothes, but other then that - I dont thinka shower is in order.

Of course if someone wanted to throw you one that's great. Register regardless, because they're are always people who want to buy you something that they know you need.
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

staceydflowers responded:
I, personally, see NO problem having a small shower for any baby. Showers are to celebrate the baby, in my opinion. I also don't see a problem with you registering for things. People will want to know what you need/want in order to get a gift that wouldn't need to be returned or whatever.

Hope this helps, and again, it is just my opinion.
Me- Stacey (24); DH- Stephen (29), DD- Kennedy 12-15-2007; DS- Owen 2-3-2009.. Yes you read that right, they are 13.5 months apart! =)

saywhat789 responded:
If somebody offered to give me a shower for a #2 baby I would never decline! I just think it's odd when somebody gives themselves a shower. "Come bring me gifts for my baby!"
~ Mama to Miss M born 07/08/09 ~

roni090909 responded:
If someone offers go for it. Every baby deserves to be celebrated. Even though you might not need big things, except a double stroller, you will need stuff.

Congrats on baby #2!!
Me (30) DH (37) DS 10/20/08 New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

sliverfroggy responded:
I am having a Diaper Shower on Sat. I don't really need anything else other then diapers, wipes and the things that we use on a daily basis. We are having another girl so we don't need clothes or new toys. And since DD hasn't broken anything , everything is still in great condition. I don't see any issue with having a party of some sort for baby #2 or 3 or 4. They all need to be celebrated in my opinion.
Me (Sharon)28, DH(Don)30,DD(Milla)16 months-Born 1/27/09 @9.4 lbs. At 15 month appt. 25lbs and 32 in long, 2 Due 12/9/10.

elegi23 replied to saywhat789's response:
I threw myself a shower.... The friend that was going to throw it for me, sent out all the invitations, then called me 2 weeks before the shower and said she didn't have the money to throw it, so she wasn't going to. So, instead of canceling it last minute, I had a cookout for everyone. I bought hamburgers, hot dogs, I made mac & cheese, homemade potato salad, got games and party favors for the kids. I don't think anyone thought it was odd, and I didn't think twice about it. I know usually baby showers are thrown by other people, but I didn't have anyone. Plus I didn't get big gifts. I got 5 or 6 outfits, one pack of diapers, and 2 $20 gift cards. My Dad didn't get me anything, and my Mom bought $10 worth of stuff at the dollar store. I didn't even know people were supposed to get you "big" gifts at your baby shower, until I went to my friends after DD was born, and she got a travel system, tons of diapers, crib sets, clothes, supplies etc...
If I have #2, I would probably end up throwing a "sprinkle" for myself again. I obviously can't expect my best friend to do it, and my family only cares about themselves.
Me (22), DH(30) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/09 TTC2 (since 05/10)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Tamara. I have a one year old daughter, and I am expecting my second child in early September.

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.