Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Need some help ( i know im new:) )
BdBabygirl posted:
Okay my almost 1 year old daughter is just being a huge cry baby. I dont know what to do. Friday her grandma watched her till like midnight and she sleep amazing that night once we got her home but like last night i did the same thing she did and my daughter didnt really want to sleep. She woke up at one during time change for like an hour. Then went to sleep till like 430 then was up till like 5 then woke up about 6 and was up till like 9 so no sleep for mommy again. No im laying her down and all she is doing is crying and if i bring her out she just crys out here too. Even when i hold her. I just dont know what to do. I WANT SOME SLEEP!!!! any advice. I took her to the doctor last thursday there was no ear infections just her throat was red and had puss pockets but it would only last 48 hours so it should be gone by now. She finally went to sleep around 10:30 so i dont know. I hope tonight I get some sleep. I need it.

Take the Poll

Are you having the same problem?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Kinda
vote
View Poll Results

cujaybird responded:
Well without knowing more about her it's hard to say what the problem is, but it sounds to me like she may not be feeling well. Does she normally sleep through the night and this is a new thing? It could be teething, it could be a number of things. But it sounds like something is bothering her. I know what it's like to be sleep deprived but just remember she's not being a "cry baby." She is a baby and that is the only way she can communicate her needs to you at this age. Good luck!
Jamie, (28) Josh, (30) and Leah, born 6-27-09.

BdBabygirl replied to cujaybird's response:
well im 29 or 30 weeks along in my second pregnancy so it makes the non sleeping thing even harder. she was really starting to sleep throught at least most the night. She never use to do this even when she was a newborn i use to have to wake her up to feed her a bottle. I know shes a baby i just wish i new what to do. I feel like a horrible mother when i dont know what to do or when i get mad at her.

sdadkin replied to BdBabygirl's response:
It sounds to me like something is bothering her. My son acted like this when he had some of his back teeth coming in. He just kept crying and I didn't know what to do. I was going to take him to the ER, but I finally got him to calm down and go to sleep. But he literally cried for like 3 or 4 hours straight. It was so frustrating. I would try giving your little one some motrin and maybe some baby Orajel and see if that helps.

DDK2005 responded:
It sounds to me like she may be getting teeth - check her mouth. Try giving her a lil motrin before bedtime - it will help with the pain. i went thru this with Ava, when i asked the doctor that's what he suggested and after a few days she was right back to normal with 2 more teeth :)
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

DDK2005 replied to BdBabygirl's response:
BTW you're not a bad mom!! We all get frustrated when we try our best and the baby is still crying. Have your DH or SO take that baby out or stay home wih her for a few hours so you can get some rest. If it gets really bad make sure your DD is in a safe place like the crib & walk away until you get settled. Hang in there - this too will pass!!
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

heather7257 responded:
I don't know but a red throat with puss pockets sound like it could be strep to me. I would get a second opinion or at least go back to make sure they are not still there. Also, babies can pick up on your emotions. When you are stressed it stresses them out? Is there anyone who could help you out for awhile so you can have a break? Maybe your mom would be willing to come over and watch her for a few hours during the day so you can have a nice long nap. My DD has been having some similar behaviors as we are weaning and trying to do sleep training. Two things, it does get better, she is a lot less clingy and sleeping better ( this only went on for about a week) and I found the more I chill out about the whole situation the more she does too! I know, easier said than done! Best of luck, just love her and know that it wont always be this stressful!

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hiya,

Mommies please don't forget about our parenting community as well for questions. It's linked in the top post.

But let me say also, your almost one year old is a big cry baby, that's what they do! :) That's the way she communicates, yes!
She can't help it and telling her to go to sleep or that you need to sleep, well she won't understand that. Not for a long time. You need to be patient at this very young age.

As the other posters say, you might want to run her to the docs to be sure she's feeling well.
Good luck!

Jackie03291 replied to sdadkin's response:
Not to be a pesk, but I would check with your pedi before giving your baby orajel. My dr is strictly against it because it can be dangerous if too much is used because it can numb not only the gums but their throat. Ever since my dr told me these things, I have NEVER used the stuff, and I always like to make sure that people are aware of this before they take the chances by using it. I always felt much more comfortable just giving her a cold washcloth or teethers to chew on and we managed to get through it all just fine because my dd is 2 now so we have gone through A LOT of teeth already. Good luck, I know that it is difficult, but there will be lots of phases that you will have to get through, and you will definitely need patience especially when you have a newborn and a toddler to take care of.

BdBabygirl replied to Jackie03291's response:
Well i havent checked her mouth for more teeth. So it might be that way i just dont understand why she acts this way with me and not with grandma. But i may get a small break tomorrow i dont know yet though. Thank you all for your help .

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Lee Ann and DH is Frank.We have been married since 2007. Our LO is Matthew born on Jan 21, 2009. My husband recently joined the Army, and I...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.