Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Who's really talking?
sliverfroggy posted:
Ok, so last night Dh made me feel bad that DD is not really talking. She is 21 months old. She has about 20 words that she says (some clearer than others). She is up to speed everywhere else if not advanced in some areas. If you ask her to do something she does, bring something she will bring it to you. She is running, jumping, climbing, even is skipping now and then. I just don't know what else I can do with her. I talk to her none stop, read books , play pretend but I am also 36 weeks pregnant. So, I can only do so much as I am super uncomfortable. Any advice or reassurance would help. Thank you
Me (Sharon)28, DH(Don)30,DD(Milla)16 months-Born 1/27/09 @9.4 lbs. At 15 month appt. 25lbs and 32 in long,  2 Due 12/9/10. & One Little Angel in heaven. Married 4 years & now have a beautiful family.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

DDK2005 responded:
Ava is 19 months and she actually speaks a ton. I know when my borther was little he didn't speak until he was 2 1/2. Do you speak a 2nd language in the house? When a 2nd language is spoken it usually take the children a lil longer to fully speak but once they do - they are fluent in both languages. Also some kids process things longer, so when she does start talking regularly you may find she'l go right into sentences, like my nephew. if you are really concerned talk to your pedi to see if early intervention for speech therepy is needed. Dont stress to much - it'll be fine!
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

sliverfroggy replied to DDK2005's response:
No, we only speak one language in the house. (English). I believe she is fine but DH makes me feel like I am not doing enough. She started doing everything else very early and he thinks that now everything needs to be early. She will point to anything we ask her she just won't say most of it. She does say please and thank you so at least she has the manners. So, i don't know she just seems to be taking her time when really talking. My best friend tells me she is taking her time talking cause she gets what she wants without talking so we are trying to not just give her want she wants without at least an attempt on saying it.
Me (Sharon)28, DH(Don)30,DD(Milla)16 months-Born 1/27/09 @9.4 lbs. At 15 month appt. 25lbs and 32 in long, 2 Due 12/9/10.

earleyml1012 replied to sliverfroggy's response:
I would recommend having her tell you want she wants instead of whinning or pointing. We've done this with DD since she could first vocalize what she wants and now she talks so well....4 word sentences already! Also while playing with her or reading to her, ask her to repeat the word and encourage her when she does. Does she have much interaction with older kids? If not, I'd recommend having her play with older kids in a group or some kind. I think that's really help DD too b/c she's in daycare and plays with the 2-3 year olds every afternoon, so she hears them and wants to talk too. Good luck and I'm sure she'll come around to talking soon!

ad1978 replied to sliverfroggy's response:
I'm sorry your DH is making you feel bad--you shouldn't! Sounds like you're doing a great job (and at 36 weeks pregnant!). I assume you're home with her during the day (?), but why does DH seem to think that this is all your responsibility? Even if he works during the day, he can also spend time reading/talking to her when he is home--don't let him make you feel guilty!

I also agree that getting her into a play group or just interacting with other kids may help. And ask your pedi--20 words might be fine for this age.

sliverfroggy replied to ad1978's response:
I asked DH the same question about How is it all my responsibility? He says it is not but then doesn't do anything with her. We had this conversation last night and even after we talked DD and I played and he did nothing , he barley even spoke to her. Yeah I am home with her during the day. I have a friend that is in a play group with her daughter and the kids are a little older then DD but with me being 36 weeks pregnant and kinda on light duty cause she is trying to come out early we haven't been able to go to many events they have. I will ask her pedi the next time we go in wish will be soon with the new baby and I am sure he can answer the question for me. She doesn't go in for an appointment herself till the end of Jan.
Me (Sharon)28, DH(Don)30,DD(Milla)16 months-Born 1/27/09 @9.4 lbs. DD 2(Makayla) Due 12/12/10.

seeit2 replied to sliverfroggy's response:
Definitely ask the pedi. If your instincts say she's fine then she probably is but it would not hurt to ask. Both my kids are in speech therapy, they have great receptive skills (doing what you ask, pointing to things) but both are delayed expressively, or in actually speaking. Sometimes you can do everything right and kids are still slow to speak - it's just a developmental thing and nothing more. In any event, it is hardly all your fault or your responsibility.
Me (40) DH (39) DD (4) DS (13 mo)

jessica5289 replied to seeit2's response:
All kids develop at different rates. I had this same worry with my 2nd child. My first was speaking on sentences at 17 months but Bella at 2 was barely speaking. The doc told us not to compare kids and Bella was right on track. Within a few weeks of turning 2 she started to speak more and more and now she never stops. There is such a wide range for what is normal that she is probably right where she needs to be. Good luck I wouldn't worry she will start talking before you know it.
Bailey 4, Bella 3, Bryson 16 months, Brystol Lynn born 8/27/10

sliverfroggy replied to jessica5289's response:
Thank you. I don't feel like there is a problem but Dh just seems to think she should be talking up a storm. She does add new words each week and seems to sharpen up the words she knows. She has always been on the lower end of the scale according to the scale for how many words in each age bracket but the pedi has never been worried. He always just makes sure that receptive skills are all there and they have always been above average. I would think that if she can point to things when asked and do things when asked then the talking will come when she is ready, no need to rush her to speech therapy. I didn't start talking till 2 or there a little after. I will ask the pedi when I see him which will be within the month just to make sure.
Me (Sharon)28, DH(Don)30,DD(Milla)16 months-Born 1/27/09 @9.4 lbs. DD 2(Makayla) Due 12/12/10.

TyPatrick08 responded:
By the age of 20 months it is absolutley appropriate to have at least 20 words. She is right on track, some toddlers just pick up quicker then others. I was also worried about my DS when he was about 18 months because he had just a few words. But he understood things and communicated in other ways. Now at almost 2 years old he doe snto STOP!!! She will come around then you will wonder are they ever not talking??? Good Luck she will come around!
Me (23) DF (26) Tyler born 11-19-08 7lb9oz 20 1/2 inc 18 month check up 26lb 33in

almostthere2317 responded:
My DD will be 20 months on the 16th and she isn't saying a whole lot either but is way ahead on everything else like your DD. I'm trying not to worry too much. She points at things and if we tell her to get something/pick something up or find something she knows exactly what we're talking about. I'm just waiting. DH makes me feel bad too. No idea why it kind of makes me want to sock him in the mouth sometimes :P (J/K) but I'm sure you understand :) Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and keep of the good work. DO NOT WORRY!!!

mol13 responded:
Jesse talks a LOT and says a lot of things. One word at a time, generally. He is only 16 months, but he also has a big brother to talk to all the time.

It sounds like she is on the lower end of normal for speech patters at 21 months. My mom has a lot of training in development, we're all teachers, and we went through a lot of speech evaluations for DS1 who never qualified but we still knew what was normal for him.

I'd bet she has more than 20 words if she is always adding new ones.

I agree with previous posters that you want to get her to say more of the things that she wants instead of pointing. The pointing is a great developmental milestone when they first turn 1 but is something that should be less and less important as they progress through that year.

Call the pedi or call early intervention yourself if you would like to have her evaluated. It really isn't very difficult to have her evaluated and if she doesn't qualify for speech services, they'll still have some valuable insight for you. Likely they'll come to your house so you don't have to go anywhere.

sliverfroggy replied to almostthere2317's response:
Almostthere2317 I so understand what you mean about sock him in the mouth. If it wasn't for DH's comment I would not even be worried at this point. I did talk with her Dr today and he said that the only thing she needs to be doing is putting 2 words together. That with all the other things she does she is just fine. Now at her 2 year appt. if she hasn't progressed any then we will seek speech help. But, even today she has picked up 2 more words and even a new gesture. He also said that at there age that this is the biggest issue he deals with and also that they will take off at the timeframe. One day saying nothing to talking up a storm. Our DD's are just fine and when they ready they will talk. Thank you for the luck on the pregnancy. Hope you had a good day!

elegi23 replied to sliverfroggy's response:
DD isn't talking great. She's 15 months, and says I'd say about 12 words she knows what they mean. She used to say a lot of words she'd just copy, but not know the meaning of them.

DH got all worried at the dr appointment because she's not stringing together words that make sense. She'll say, "dog, cup." And he said that didn't make sense. She did start saying "boobie ilk" and she knows what that means.
Me (22), DH(30) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/09 TTC2 (since 05/10)

Poisongirl98 responded:
I'm a pediatric speech therapist, and I can tell you that it almost NEVER what a parent is doing/not doing that causes their child to be delayed or on the lower end of average. Sure, there are things that a parent can be doing more of to help facilitate language, but you're probably doing some of these things already. I agree that if she's adding new words regularly she probably has more than 20 words. I estimated that my son had at least 30 words, but I actually wrote out a list of the words and word approximations that he has used at least a couple of times spontaneously and pronounces consistently the same way each time, and it was 60! (he's 15 months). You could get a speech/language evaluation through your local early intervention program, but my hunch is that she's not showing enough of a delay to qualify for services.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Jill (33), DH (36), and Sarah Elizabeth born 9/22/08 my 17 month, strong willed, spitfire of a baby girl! I adore her.

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.