Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Suggestions for plane ride
sdadkin posted:
In a couple of days my SO, his mother and our almost 16 month old son will be traveling on a 6 hour plane ride. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should bring with me to keep DS occupied? I'm not sure on the regulations with snacks and stuff also. I thought about bringing crayons and a coloring book because he just recently started showing interest in it, but other than that I have no idea. Most of his favorite toys make a lot of noise and I don't want to bother everyone on the plane.

DDK2005 responded:
I recently wet with Ava on a 3 hr flight to FL. Check your airline but most do allow at least one sippy of a liquid and snacks for your child. Did you get him his own seat? We didnt for Ava but wish we did. On the way there the mid seat was empty so it worked out great but on the flight home it was way too cramped.
Things I bought for Ava:
- cards with mickey clubhouse characters
- stickers, coloring books, crayons
- snack trap w/ favorite treats
- a lollipop for him to suck when plane takes off - this helped with Ava's ears. If your son still takes a botle that will work too.
- light blanket
- maybe toy cars etc...

Good luck it wont be as bad as you think. hopefully he'll fall asleep for alil bit. If they have TV's then u can watch at least 1 cartoon.
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

sarahann1978 responded:
I was just reading an article about how there is a movement to encourage airlines to set up "adult only" flights, or to section off families so adult travelers would be able to avoid sitting by toddlers. It was an interesting article and they listed this website: JetWithKids.com as a blog that has tips for flying with kids. I have not looked at it yet, but you might check it out.

I just flew a couple of weeks ago and my biggest gripe was that they do let you take sippy cups now, but if they have liquid in them you might get the third degree. When we flew out I had to go to a special area for them to assess the water in DS sippy cup. So on the way back I emptied the cup before going through security and then filled it at a restaurant on the other side. I think with snacks you can usually take whatever you want, but I suppose it's up to each airline.

DS is a good flyer, he stays pretty content just checking out things on the plane like the window shade, the drop down table, the light and air vent. I have never been on such a long flight though, my max has been 3 hours. My brother told me he used to get those paper cups out of the bathroom and let the toddler stack them on the drop down tray. Then when the flight is over you can toss them.
Sarah (32), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

mol13 replied to sarahann1978's response:
I'm not sure if it was here or elsewhere that I talked about this but I would love it if airplanes had kiddie sections. With good snacks, family-friendly movies, room to move, and no obnoxious drunk adults to pour ice on 7-year-old's heads (yes, it happened to me).

sdadkin replied to DDK2005's response:
No, we didn't get him his own seat. Hopefully that won't be a problem. It was too expensive. He doesn't take a bottle anymore and he had to get tubes in his ears a couple months ago. Do you think take off will hurt his ears? Hopefully a sucker will help with that.

DDK2005 replied to sdadkin's response:
Check your airline rules on what you can bring on the plane for your child without a ticket. When we flew JetBlue we were allowed to take a sippy with liquid, you can bring the stroller & check it in at the gate, the carseat isnt an extra charge either.

Ava didnt seem to have any issues with her ears. I gave her the lolli on take off, but she was passed out when we landed so I didn't need it for then. Bring your own snacks and lil toys for the baby and you'll be fine. I suggest sitting by the 2 seats near a window so you can control where the LO can try to roam...
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

elegi23 responded:
I used to fly with DD all the time. The last time she flew she was 12 months old. She was great flying. It was just like a car ride for her. We didn't get her her own seat, and she did just fine. As far as takeoff and landing I had her drink her sippy during each so her ears didn't hurt her. She did great, no crying. Our plane rides were about 3 hours, and she did pretty good. I just took lots of things to play with. She had her toys, and lot and lots of snacks. The attendents are great too. On her first plane ride, she got really restless so the flight attendent walked her up and down the aisle to settle her down, and it worked wonders. I just told them not to go too far so I could always see her. They gave her a free snack pack (that normally costs) and kept bringing me juice.
On the last plane ride, I took my laptop and loaded a video on it before we left and she sat there and watched it too.

Take a stroller, you can gate check it for free, and its waiting outside the plane when you land. Also pack light. It's a pain to carry everything and a baby around through the airport. Oh and as Sarah said, buy and juice/milk after you go through security because they will stop you and check the liquid.
Me (22), DH(30) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/09 TTC2 (since 05/10)

cujaybird replied to elegi23's response:
A portable dvd player with sesame street videos works wonders for us for long car rides, it would probably be great on a plane too.
Jamie, (28) Josh, (30) and Leah, born 6-27-09.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me 21 DH 24 DD#1 born 6/24/2008 DD#2 EDD 4-6-2010. Life is almost complete. Dh and I are high school sweethearts. Have a beautiful almost 2 year old...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.