Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

How much should a 15 month old be eating?
hoping2beamom posted:
My DH thinks we are overfeeding our daughter. She gets a waffle for breakfast (he thinks that is enough and won't give her a banana with it), then gets a snack at daycare, lunch ( I usually pack her 6 small sized chicken nuggets and some kind of fruit or veggies), another snack at daycare and then whatever we have for dinner she gets some of. I tried sending her in with only 4 nuggets one day and she ate them so fast and tried to eat the other kids food! The daycare teacher told met hat she obviously was still hungry. I thought that I was supposed to be following her cues about how much to feed her. Both DH and I are overweight so we are really worried about overfeeding her. On the other hand though, I don't want her to starve. He thinks half a grilled cheese is enough for her and I just don't think it is! Please help!!! It is really starting to stress me out!

mol13 responded:
Generally speaking, kids this age should be encouraged to eat as much as they would like, no more and no less.
If you are concerned about her weight, change the food that she is eating, not the amount. Nuggets are probably not the best choice, at least not the prepackaged kind. Find some better protein options that have less salt and less saturated fat. She needs to develop a taste for healthy food, and now is the time to do it, not later when they fight you about everything. Even if you switch to oven-baked turkey cold cuts, that's still convenient but better than nuggets. So maybe do more items in the lunch box but smaller portions for variety? Like turkey breast, cheese pieces, veggie/fruit, and triscuits.

Kids are also different depending on the day--some days they'll eat the whole sandwich, other days they'll only have half or less.
Molly (30) DH (36) David 08/30/07, cancer survivor and letter-lover; Jesse 07/05/09, big talker and bigger climber.

DDK2005 responded:
I'm assuming you are just giving us an idea f what you feed your DD and offer a variety. I would agree with you that what your husband wants to feed her is not really enough. I would also offer more healthy options would just offer your daughter more variety & healthy options.

For breakfast try to give her oatmeal - its filling and healthy. I say follow her cues - if she doesn't want to eat she won's & the same if she's hungry...good luck & go with your gut.
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

ad1978 replied to DDK2005's response:
I think both responses are spot on, but will post to show your DH that yet another mom agrees!

Continue to follow her cues. Sometimes she'll want the whole grilled cheese, sometimes she'll take a bite and won't want the rest. Just give her lots of healthy options, and don't worry about the quantity. I've noticed that my toddler will eat moderately and finish before she is full when it is healthy food. But on the occassion when I give her a treat, like a cookie, she could keep eating them forever if I let her. So, I think limit treats, but let your child lead the way with everything else.

bgabert responded:
Like other PP's have said, you just have to go by her cues!

My DD seems to never eat enough.. I swear she lives off hardly anything at all, but I don't want to force her to eat.. and when she is hungry, she WILL eat!

I'd just try to give her more a variety of foods to get her palate a little more developed. It's always fun to see what they love and hate!
Bri (24), DH Jarrod (28), DD Emery (6/15/2009), Baby Boy EDD 2/13/2011

QTpie2009 responded:
Another idea for a protein is black beans. DS loves black beans! I make sure he has a protein and two vegetables or one veg and one fruit for his dinner.
Me(27), DH(30), DS Kayden Riley born 06/09/09.

theunknwn responded:
My 15 month old ate a who banana and an egg for breakfast, and munch on a few cherrios. then a little later had a sippy of milk.
For lunch she ate some chopped tomato,3 meat sticks, some blueberries and 2 crackers.
I always let her eat until she is full, the amount of food is not the thing to worry about as much as the vitamins and nutrients. good luck!

theunknwn replied to theunknwn's response:
oh yeah and a low fat string cheese

DDK2005 responded:
Ok so my earlier response looks like I was drunk when I wrote it, but considering Im pregnant it must be sheer madness - LOL!!!! I'll give you an example of Ava's daily food intake:

breakfast: cheerios in milk & a whole banana
snack: yogurt
lunch: chicken noodle soup with apple slices
snack: goldfish or freeze dried fruit
dinner: whatever we make usually some chicken dish with veggies

I give her juice on occasion, milk twice a day & otherwise water.
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

JerseyGrl79 replied to DDK2005's response:
I agree with everyone else. Just follow her cues. If she's still hungry don't be afraid to feed her more. If she's anything like my DD she's burning off energy and calories running all around the place! I usually just keep a snack out and she can grab some cherrios or fruit throughout the day if she wants. In addition to 3 meals and 2 snacks.

cheeezie25 responded:
Geez, my kid is almost 2yo and I WISH he ate that month! But that is more of a good thing for you and a bad thing for me Children will eat what they want to eat, so don't try to restrict their intake. Time Magazine actually just did a short article on this exact issue... some parents (possibly you DH included) as so concerned about their infant/toddler's weight, that they attempt to put them on a diet. When I read that, I thought that was pretty absurd.

But yes, I also agree with the other posters... don't restrict how much she eats, but do consider reworking what you give her to eat. It sounds like she likes a variety of food, so this shouldn't be much of an issue in terms of getting her to eat new healthier items. For instance, instead of a regular waffle, try giving her whole grain or flax seed waffles... oatmeal is also a good option. Maybe only give her half a grilled cheese, but add some spinach (I know, sounds weird, but my son really liked that for a while) or tomatoes to it and follow it up with a variety of fruit and healthy snacks.

I think alot of the time, us parents can end up projecting some of our own insecurities onto our kids, and lets face it, weight is almost everyone's insecurity. The best thing you can do to avoid that is be aware of it and do your best to not let it negatively influence her life and growth.

Btw, here is the link to the Time article... I think that gets my point across a little more clearly: http://healthland.time.com/2010/11/30/is-my-baby-too-fat/

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! My DH and I have a beautiful little 15 month old girl and she has a little brother on the way! EDD is May 13th but I will be having a scheduled...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.