Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Getting ready for the holidays
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
If you are a family of two different faiths, how are you going to bring both religions and traditions together?
How will you raise your little one? Of one faith or both?

An_222972 responded:
I've asked this type of question several times in the past, but sadly, I seem to be the only person who is in a mixed-faith marriage. I don't know why this site doesn't seem to attract other minorities?

Happy Hanukah!

lkevans responded:
My husband and I are different faiths and of his family they are of mixed faiths also with the joining of their marriages. So we have catholics, mormons, aethists. We all celebrate on being together as a family at get togethers during the holidays and do not bring in thoughts/opinions on what that holiday means to us. When raising our DD, I want her to be able to choose any religon so she will probably ask a lot of questions of different people and as she grows she can follow the path she feels she needs to be.

crunk05177 responded:
I grew up with a Jewish father and Catholic mother. We were raised Jewish but celebrated Christmas with my mom's family. So I used to tell the other kids we were lucky to get presents on both holidays.

So me being Jewish, I married a Catholic man and we are raising our kids Catholic. They were both baptized BUT we celebrate Chanukkah with my dad's side of the family. I haven't really had to explain why yet but when the time comes it will go something like everyone celebrates different holidays. Grandpa celebrates these holidays so we celebrate with him blah blah blah lol.

However, I never considered myself a "minority" because of this....should I have?
Me (27), DH (29), DS1 (almost 4) and DS2 (12 months and has a peanut allergy)

elegi23 responded:
I am Catholic and we have always celebrated Christmas. DH is Catholic as well, but was only baptized Catholic (he hasn't gone through any other rites.

DD will be baptized Catholic, probably around age 2. We are waiting a little longer than usual because we don't have Godparents for DD that are Catholic, and we have to find some.
Me (22), DH(30) DD Eleora Marylin 07/23/09 TTC2 (since 05/10)

An_222974 replied to crunk05177's response:
Yes, Jewish people are considered minorities b/c we literally have less of us in the U.S. That's what a minority is. I'm trying to be condescending, but you really never thought of yourself as a minority? Did you grow up in a town that was primarily your religion (I did not)?

crunk05177 replied to An_222974's response:
WOW! No need to get rude. I know what the word minority means, thank you! I don't really know about other parts in the US but where I am from, Long Island New York, being Jewish is not considered "different" and interfaith marriage is not either. There are plenty of different religions around here and maybe I am just more open to equality, for example, Jewish or Catholic, Black or White, Male or Female, etc. Are you angry that your Jewish? You sound pretty angry and I am sorry about that. Loosen up a little and who cares what religion you are!
Me (27), DH (29), DS1 (almost 4) and DS2 (12 months and has a peanut allergy)

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I'm Catholic and DH is a lapsed Jehovah's Witness. We do celebrate Christmas. Since DH's parents are practicing JWs, we don't have to worry about celebrating Christmas with them. Sort of comes in handy since we don't have to worry about whose parents house we are going to for the holidays.

An_222975 replied to crunk05177's response:
I'm not sure what I said that came across as rude? I really wasn't trying to be. I'm not angry at all.

I have a lot of family/friends in NY/Long Island, and I agree--in that area, being Jewish is not really considered minority at all. But many other places (particularly the red states) this is totally different.

My saying that being Jewish means we're in the minority doesn't make it a bad thing! It's ok to be a minority!

My original statement was just saying that over the past couple years on these boards, any time I tried to find others like me, NO ONE raised their hands. This made me think that literally I was the one and only Jewish or non-Christian person on these boards (going back to 2008), and I found it a little dissapointing that my minority group for whatever reason didn't seem active on this website.

I'm glad to see more are here now!

mol13 replied to An_222975's response:
Oh, I had commented but it got deleted, probably because I called you out for being anonymous.

I'm Jewish. DH's family is various forms of Christian. He was raised Catholic.
Molly (30) DH (36) David 08/30/07, cancer survivor and letter-lover; Jesse 07/05/09, big talker and bigger climber. Surprise EDD 7/13/2011--MY birthday!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I live in Iowa with my wonderful husband and 1 year old daughter, Leah, who was born on 7/08/09. When my daughter was 6 months old, I decided to becom...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.