Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Daycare Can I Ever Afford??
TyPatrick08 posted:
This is beyond stressful! I make good money, I live in a nice home, But still can not afford Day Care!

I just need to vent, so the state of PA has a subsidized program... but apparently you have to be on welfare and make less then $15,000 a year. Their are people I know who get subsidized day care (pay at reduced cost like 75% less) who dont even work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF do you need day care for if you dont have a job!

The Cheapest around my house is the church i belong to has a day care and for 3 days a week its $135.00. So it looks like DF needs a part time job to pay for day care!
Me (23) DF (26) Tyler born 11-19-08 7lb9oz 20 1/2 inc 18 month check up 26lb 33in

cheeezie25 responded:
Yup, I know what you mean! DH and I worked opposite hours up until DS was 18 months old to avoid doing daycare. Once DH got a FT job during the day (with better pay), we started DS in daycare, which also allowed me to work more (I'm kind of a freelance consultant)... let me tell ya, we were pretty much breaking even regardless of working more and DH getting paid better. Freakin sucks! AND, originally we did daycare for just 3 days a week because that was all I was working... well, we ended up upping it to five days a week because a) DS kept getting sick during those three days and you aren't allowed to switch days so I would be taking off work and earning less and b) it was only $30 more than 3 days/week. We are far from rich, so I looked into getting subsidies too, but I don't even understand how a working parent, let alone two working parents, would ever be able to fall under the cutoff. The whole system is stupid and backwards. I swear, no more kids until DS is in FREE kindergarden, which might be never considering how much worse public school education keeps getting each year.

Yeah... I don't think that was helpful, but I just felt like venting too lol

DDK2005 responded:
Its insane isn't it!!! I have Ava in daycare 3 days a wk & it cost me $600 a month. With baby #2 on the way - Im actually afraid to find out how much its going to cost us come Sept. Im just hoping that since Ava will be over 2, she's no longer considered an infant so her cost should decrease. My DH just got a raise but it will be a wash once we put the 2nd baby in daycare. Unfortunately, I still bring home a more then the monthly cost so I still have to work.

Have you checked your local YMCA? We just joined as a family & the rates seem to be less. Regardless - I feel your pain!!!!
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

sdadkin responded:
I am definitely right there with you! I have a 17 month old DS and I am almost 23 weeks along with our second. We already pay $120 a week for an in-home daycare and I have no idea how in the world we're going to be able to afford daycare for two kids! We both work full time and make an okay amount of money, but it's absolutely ridiculous how much daycare costs!
Me (25) SO (25) DS (7/22/09) EDD (5/10/11)

kfitz responded:
Yeah! I LOVE our in-home daycare provider. She watched DD#1 for 3 days per week until DH got a promotion and he is now working m-f. Oh and now we have dd#2. So we went from $90 per week to $300 per week. That's $1,300 per month! Which is more than our mortgage! Oh and DH's promotion didn't mean more money.

gracesmom09 responded:
That is not accurate. I live in PA and I make $28,500 a year currently. I am not on welfare nor do I get food stamps or anything like that. Also you cannot get daycare subsidy if you do not work or go to school. If you go to the class you find all of this. There are requirements for how many hours you work or go to school.

I got the childcare subsidy pretty easily. I filled out the paperwork and had my employer fill out their portion. I got the subsidy within 6 months. As I said I make about $28,500 a year with just myself and 1 dependent. I am not sure who told you that you have to make $15,000 or be on welfare...

gracesmom09 replied to gracesmom09's response:
Also to add daycare subsidy does not pay for daycare in full. They pay $ 400 a month and I still pay the other $200 a month.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Amanda and I have a wonderful husband of 8 years named Jason and 3 beautiful daughters- Jillian (6), Victoria who I stillbirthed at 36w and...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.