Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

New here!! Lots of questions about my one year old.
Anmar22 posted:
Hi, my DD just turned a year old on 1/7/2010, so I'm moving up. I've been giving her cow's milk for about a week and so far so good. I'm just wondering how much should I be giving her? Is it about the same amount as when giving her formula? Right now she's drinking about 2 6-8 oz bottles (morning and night) and then about 2 smaller bottles throughout the day. Is that too much?

Also, I know younger babies shouldn't drink water but is it ok to start giving her water more frequently? What about Juice?

And finally any tips on transitioning to sippee cups?

Thanks for you help!

DDK2005 responded:
OMG my DD is 21 months old these questions seem so foreign to me already. believe it or not, it will get easier. As for Milk - you have to remember that your DD gets nutrients from other sources now that she is eating real food. I believe you shuld limit her mil consumption to around 16-20 oz a day. I give Ava more water then anything else. She only gets juice a few times a week (but that's me) - some parents give their LO juice a few times a day. Its up to you. My pedi said that toomuch juice can actually cause constipation. An example of Ava's liquid consumption:

Morning: Sippy of milk, but if she's having cereal or oatmeal for breakfast then she has water.
Lunch: Milk if she had water in the morning otherwise water.
Snack: Milk with snack
Dinner: Water with dinner

All other times - water & on occasion a apple juice.

The sippy cup transition for easy for me since Ava never really got used to the bottle. Start with offering her water in the sippy. Some people go cold turkey & remove the bottle all together. For me we started with the morning bottle then worked our way to the nighttime bottle. Ava no longer takes a sippy or bottle before bed. Good luck & welcome to the 1 yr old board. Your DD is about to take of and its an amazing experience. Enjoy it, because it goes fast....
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: Ava 3/26/09 5lbs 15oz, 19.5 in - at 13mo chk up weighed 18.2lbs

Anmar22 replied to DDK2005's response:
Thank you! That helps so much, I guess the next step will be getting her trained on sippy cup, I usually do give her water or juice in a cup and she seems to do ok so maybe it won't be so hard. She seems really attached to her bottle though. We'll see. Thanks again for your help.

sarahann1978 responded:
I am with Dee, my DS is going to be 2 in 12 more days, so these questions are a little hard to answer.

What I did want to share is that for my DS, at first he could not figure out about tipping back regular sippy cups to get to the liquid so at first we had success with straw sippy cups. Plus with the valves the regular ones were hard for him to suck from. Eventually he figured out how to tip back a regular sippy and then we had to stop using straw cups because he would tip those back and not get the liquid. I know it can be expensive, but try a variety of sippy cups to see what works for your DD. (You may not have the tip back problem since she is used to a bottle, but my DS was nursed, so it was not intuitive for him.)

As far as juice goes, we used to give him diluted juice on a regular basis, but found it makes his BMs really soft to runny. We mostly only give him milk and water now unless he gets a little constipated, then I will give him a little 100% juice. Or if we go to a birthday party and they serve juice then he can have it. It took my DS a long time to transition from breast milk to cows milk so I never had the how much is too much problem, I had a hard time getting him to drink any.

Welcome to this board, I hope you enjoy every moment of this year, it is definitely a fun time in their lives!
Sarah (32), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

sdadkin responded:
We started giving our DS a sippy cup at around 6 months old. This helped a lot when it came time to get rid of the bottle. My pediatrician recommended that when you are trying to break them from the bottle that you should only give them water in their bottles and the milk should be in a sippy cup. That way they will want the sippy cup more and more. They also make sippy cups that have a nipple like spout. We tried those, but my DS just liked to chew on them. However, they might help you and your little one with transitioning. HTH!
Me (25) SO (25) DS (7/22/09) EDD (5/10/11)

Anmar22 replied to sdadkin's response:
Thank you, putting water in the bottle sounds like a great idea. I'm going to have to try that.

I think I've decided to wait a couple more months before getting rid of the bottle though. My mom pointed out that DD has had a lot of changes the last couple of weeks: I started the CIO method (I used to rock her to sleep everynight), DH went to Mississippi for work, and now my mom is babysitting her. I didn't really think how all that might be affecting her. So I'm going to give her some time to adjust.

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!

paytonsmommy09 responded:
First of all, WELCOME!

Payton just turned 18 months last week and I kind of remember the transition period. When we weened Payton from the bottle (or rather she weened herself), we bought the regular sippy cups. She didn't like those so we bought the straw ones. She would chug the milk and we gave her milk all day long.

When she is with me (not at the sitters), she gets Kool-Aide a few times a day. I try to alternate milk and Kool-Aide all day long. When she is at the sitters, she drinks juice or Kool-Aide all day. I guess, it doesn't matter to me how much juice or kool-aide she gets as long as she stays hydrated. To each their own.

To start juice, I would buy Juicy Juice or Welches and water it down so it won't give her diaper rash. I personally cannot give Payton apple juice because it breaks her out immediately. I have to give her grape or fruit punch.

Good luck!

Sarah
SARAH (31), JASON (DH), PAYTON (7.8.09), 3 FUR CHILDREN

jlynnpaine responded:
My pedi recommended between 16-24 ounces of milk per day. He said if you can't get them to drink that much, to offer other dairy products like cheese that are high in calcium.

My DD drinks about 10-12 ounces of milk each day and eats cheese, yogurt, and cottage cheese. She also drinks probably 10 ounces of water per day. We offer milk with meals and water with snacks. We usually have a sippy of water out while she's playing too. We do not offer her juice because she eats plenty of fruit and I worry that she'll fill up on that and drink even less milk than she already does.

We had a lot of luck with the straw sippies but now she loves everything. Good luck with the transitions.

alaska_mommy responded:
I like the Avent brand of transition sippie cups. They have bottles and cups where the sippie spouts and nipples are interchangeable. The lid has a hole in the top and you either pop in a nipple or a sippie spout. They also make "magic trainer" cups that have a flexible, rubbery-feel spout that mimics the mouth feel of a nipple, so babies have an idea what to do with it. Then when they're going gangbusters you can pop in a regular sippie spout made out of hard plastic. I like it because you don't have to have a whole separate bottle/cup for the sippie tip, you can just switch around depending on baby's mood. Also they have handles that you can put on the bottles or cups too.
I generally give milk in the bottle for naptime and bedtime, and mostly water and occasional apple juice during the day for meals. DS is able to drink the sippie by himself and even figured out how to tip it way back to get the last drops! Yay, it's so nice when they get to that point.
GL!

Spotlight: Member Stories

love of my life Callie Morgan born 10-30-08 via csection 7 lbs 11oz 20in

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.