Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Toddler began waking up at 3 or 4 AM; won't go back to sleep
Kampot posted:
For the last week or so our 1 y.o. boy has been waking up at 3 or 4 AM and refuses to go back to sleep. He goes to bed around 7 or 8 every night so I don't think his bedtime is that out of line. Any advice? We give him a bottle -- that worked for many months but now he SCREAMS bloody murder if we try to put him back to bed. My wife used to be able to rock him to sleep and we actually let him sleep in our bed with us for the past few nights (he has his own crib in his own bedroom) and that worked for the first 4 nights. This AM he did the usual, we gave him a few ounces of formula but he absolutely would not go to sleep. So I stayed up with him in the living room, kept the lights dim and sat on the couch quietly while he happily played. After about an hour of this he started to fuss and kept rubbing his eyes. I tried putting him back in his crib and he screamed bloody murder again. My wife came out and was able to gently rock him and calm him down. Now he is back to sleeping in our bed. I am really at wit's end here.

mol13 responded:
I just said something about this on another thread. My DS2 was good about sleeping on his own but for a little while just really wanted to spend a few hours in bed with us at night, from maybe 2AM to 5AM. And then back to his bed with no fuss. He never did take to being rocked.

Now he just sleeps through all night because he decided he wanted to do it again. No fuss, no major action on our part. He was just ready.
Molly (30) DH (36) David 08/30/07, cancer survivor and letter-lover; Jesse 07/05/09, big talker and bigger climber. Surprise EDD 7/13/2011--MY birthday!

sarahann1978 responded:
Could he be teething? My DS sleeps really well unless he is teething or sick. I think the teething pain is just enough to keep him from getting into a good deep sleep. I pretty much have always found if his sleep is disrupted and he is not obviously sick, that in a day or two we spot a new tooth. So with that I am pretty quick to give him a little ibuprofen to cut the pain at night if it starts to happen.
Sarah (32), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

Kampot replied to sarahann1978's response:
Yes, he might be teething since he keeps putting one hand in his mouth. We gave him children's tylenol the first time he woke up and the second time as well. Is there a better product we could be using?

sarahann1978 replied to Kampot's response:
My doctor says for pain that ibuprofen is better, so infants Motrin or Advil, or the store brand equivalent.
He said Tylenol is great for fevers, but doesn't do as good of a job with pain.
Good luck!
Sarah (32), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

Kampot replied to sarahann1978's response:
Thanks.

I'll definitely try this but I think the overall problem may be more complicated. It's really difficult to get him to go back to sleep once he wakes up the first time (anywhere between 11:30 and 2) and the second time he wakes (between 3-5) it's next to impossible unless we bring him to bed with us. About ready to pull my hair out...

Indiaguerita replied to Kampot's response:
There are two things I can think of regarding your situation. One is - the bedtime is too early. By two or three a.m. he's been sleeping for seven or eight hours. It could be that he's just ready to get up...

The second thing that I thought of was night terrors. Is he waking up screaming? Or does he just not want to go back to bed.

All three of my kids had night terrors. But they don't wake up quietly if it's night terrors...

-LJ

Kampot replied to Indiaguerita's response:
Interesting...but shouldn't a 1 y.o. be sleeping more than 7-8 hours? We have friends with children around that age and they sleep 10-12 hours per night. Also, are night terrors common for a child that young?

My wife and I are getting sick from lack of sleep so any ideas you have are welcome...

I think all kids are different regarding how many hours they sleep. My oldest would be happy to sleep 12 to 13 hours. But my youngest only sleeps six or seven hours and she's up at the crack of dawn.

Maybe your kiddo is just ready to get up...seven hours is sufficient sleep for him.

Night terrors typically start around age two...but again...it varies with each child. My oldest had night terrors when he was around three. The other two kids around one or two years of age.

The only thing that I can think of is to switch the time you put him to bed. If he still wakes up at 2 a.m., then you guys might have to take turns getting up with him. One night, your wife has "baby duty" and then the next night, you have "baby duty". That way, at least one of you is getting a full night's sleep.

My son with Autism does not sleep at night. At all. So my husband and I take turns staying up with him. It helps us a lot. We were going crazy because we were both staying up with him. We would even fall alseep at our jobs during the day because we were so exhausted.

-LJ

Kampot replied to Indiaguerita's response:
Thanks for the advice. Yes, we generally do "baby duty" in turns. Usually one gets the "first shift" meaning they'll soothe/feed him when he starts crying between 12-2 AM, then, the other parent is responsible for when he wakes up afterwards -- anywhere from 3-5 AM.

Well sarahann1978 was right about the Ibuprofen...we switched and it seems to help a lot more than tylenol. Of course we just found out yesterday that our DS has croup! So maybe this has been the cause of more undue stress in additon to the molars coming in...

That's great news! Hopefully with some treatment you guys will be able to get some decent sleep. I completely understand how tough it is.

No worries. Glad to offer advice, even if it wasn't exactly helpful!! LOL.

-LJ

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (32), DH Matt (37) Happy to be a SAHM to my two wonderful children! Matt (21 months) born 8-3-2008, 6lbs 8oz, 19.5 in Emily (3 months) born 2-17...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.