Skip to content

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page:

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
    Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Is there a cold medicine safe for 1 year olds?
    KEDmom09 posted:
    Hello, my daughter is 16 months old and 29 lbs. I wanted to know if anyone knew of any cold medicine that was safe to give 1 year old children?
    mol13 responded:
    Cold medicines are not approved for use for babies, pretty much at all. I think that they're currently recommending no one under 4.

You can give Tylenol or Motrin for pain, but beyond that, keep her hydrated, and make sure that the humidity levels are good. DS2 responds well to having a humidifier in his room.
    Molly (30) DH (36) David 08/30/07, cancer survivor and letter-lover; Jesse 07/05/09, big talker and bigger climber. Surprise EDD 7/13/2011--MY birthday!
    sarahann1978 responded:
    They don't approve of over-the-counter cold meds for babies, but some doctors will prescribe meds, at least mine did. He prescribed C-Phen DM drops and gave me strict dosing instructions. It's a basic antihistamine and decongestant.
    Sarah (32), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Jenni (29), Dan (30), DS-Jayden 11/2/08; angel baby 3/16/10 (10 weeks)

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
    Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
    Was this Helpful?
    25 of 51 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.