Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

19 month old waking up grumpy...
sdadkin posted:
My 19 month old DS has been waking up very grumpy lately. He goes to bed at 8 every night and I have to wake him up at around 6:15 every morning. I usually turn his light on when I get up at 6 and I get ready and then come into his room. I walk over to his crib (most of the time he is already awake and smiling at me). I tell him good morning and pat on him a little bit. Sometimes he is a little playful and tries to scoot away from me or play with his blanket. When I do get him out of the bed and take him to the changing table that's when he starts to get grumpy. He wont lie still (that's kind of another issue lately- he doesn't want to lay there long enough for a diaper change) and he starts crying before I can even get the new diaper on. Then it's a nightmare to get his clothes and shoes on and carry him downstairs and out the door to the car.

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and everything is getting more difficult for me to do. I don't know if it's just a stage he's going through or maybe he senses things are about to change with the new baby coming along. I don't think it's because he's not getting enough sleep because even on the weekends he only sleeps in til about 7 or so and we sometimes let him stay up about 20-30 minutes later on Friday and Saturday.

We have had the same routine now for the past year and a half and I have never had any trouble with him before. Maybe it's just because he is starting the "terrible twos"? I don't know, but every morning is so very exhausting now!
Me (25) SO (25) DS (7/22/09) EDD (5/10/11)

seeit2 responded:
My DS is a total PIA about diaper changes, especially first thing in the morning. I go in there now with a cup of milk for him to suck on while I get him ready and that totally pacifies him - any chance your DS is a little hungry and that's why he's grumpy? 10 hours is a long time to go without food for such a little guy. And the more mobile they are, the more calories they burn.
Me (40) DH (39) DD (4) DS (13 mo)

QTpie2009 responded:
My DS fights with me to do diaper changes too ugh! In the mornings I try to keep the lights dim until his eyes get used to them. I give him a sippy of milk and he watches Spongebob while I get things ready. While I'm dressing him and changing his diaper I have found it helpful to give him his toothbrush so he "brushes his teeth" while I dress him and he's more content.
Me(27), DH(30), DS Kayden Riley born 06/09/09.

kfitz responded:
DD is the same way. Sometimes she is tired so I try to gradually wake her up. Have you tried music? My DD signs music every morning so we listen to music and I let her play with the tube of aquaphor while I change her. There is a night light on her diaper warmer so I let her play with that too. Sometimes I give her a wipe to have her help me wipe her and she loves getting all the praise. I will try ANYTHING to get thru the morning more smoothly. If you find something else that works please share!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first (and only) time mother to Colton Andrew, who was born 12/7/08. He is the light of our lives. At times he can be a handful, as he is VERY ...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.