Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Daycare
island_baby posted:
I recently started my 1 year old at daycare with very good reputation. We were on the waiting list and then got the call. He was going part time to another daycare that I seemed to be pretty happy with except for his naps and the number of children per teacher ratio. It is his first week at the new daycare and I went a few times before hestarted to take him there to play and meet his teacher. The daycare started a new room for 12-18 months becuase they still sometimes take two naps and are still in cribs. My husband and I were very happy with the idea of this room and also that there will be only 2 other 12 motnhs old in there right now. The problem I have is that I can't get a real good feel out of my son's teacher. She seems nice, but a little reserved. I seem to have to ask questions instead of getting them. She always has their daily activity sheet filled and she gets him down for the naps like we had asked her to at the correct times. My husband said give it a few weeks and go from there. She only has 2 other babies in their and it seems that my son his always playing my himself. Seems as though she could itneract with them a little more. My son seems okay, but I am not if he really likes it. Never crying when I come. I guess to me , she is not has enthuastic as I would have hoped. Their is suppose to be a curiculam for his age and I have not seen it yet. I know that she is still kind of getting the room set up, but not too impressed for the higher price we are paying. I thought this place would be perfect for my son, but now I am thinking I should have left him where he was. If I decide to change him back, would that be terrible for my son to go through. Just thinking. I know that he is safe and fed, but I was hoping to get a little more interaction. that is the reason I took him out of the other daycare, because there was just so many children to teachers that there was little time for one on one. any advise would be great. first time mom.

kfitz responded:
I understand what you are going thru. We used an in-home babysitter for DDs (20 mo and 8 mo), but her husband passed away so she took off for 1 month. We used a daycare at our church and we LOVED it. It was REALLY expensive so we couldn't keep them there, but we hated for them to go back to our old babysitter even though she was great too. They both have transitioned well and we haven't noticed any problems with having them back with the in-home babysitter. Children are resilient and I think if your reaction is to go back to the old daycare I would go with that.

island_baby replied to kfitz's response:
Thank you. We are going to monitor for a few weeks and see how it goes. The really awkward thing is that we like all the other classroom teachers at the new daycare, just not sold yet with his teacher. On the other hand, we loved the infant room teachers at the previous daycare, but not the next calssroom teachers he would have to go to. So I guess, you can't have it all. Thanks for the advise

Ihgirl1066 replied to island_baby's response:
Did you talk to her about your concerns? I know you said you've asked many questions. but maybe give it one more shot and maybe tell her what you expect of her? I wouldnt think that would be over-stepping, after all you are paying for the service, just be polite

island_baby replied to Ihgirl1066's response:
Thank you for your advise lhgirl1066. Actually, yesterday, i called ar lunch to see how he was doing and his teacher was very nice and enthusiatic. When I picked him up, they where eating snacks and he seem very calm. She was very energertic and showed me the lesson plan that she was talking about when we first visted the daycare. It was very neatly done and everything looked organized. They did "where's my eyes" yesterday and today it is read a new books. It made me happy. I told her thank you very much and she seemed to be like the teacher I hoped for.

Spotlight: Member Stories

my name is jasmine im married and have a 14 month old daughter :) we live in oklahoma city,oklahoma.

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.