Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Hello -- weight concerns
mrsjmsr posted:
Hi. my baby just turned 1 on monday! He started walking over a month ago. He was born 9.5lbs and 22ins long. He weighs 25lbs. He is 2.5 ft tall. My doctor said at his 12month appt that he is still overweight. I have gotten tired of hearing how large he is and how i should cut his diet. The dr only wants me to give him 4 oz of milk a day and nothing but water after that. I just want to know how other mothers are handling having children that are above average in this area??

My daughter, on the other hand, is small for her age. she was born 7.1lbs and 19in long and by her 1st b-day she only weighed 17lbs. i treat her and my son the same. they eat the same things and drink the same things.

Ihgirl1066 responded:
My son was 31.5 inches and 24.5 lbs at his 12 month, so i guess to me that sounds fine. My son is tall and very thin looking, hard to believe at his 15 month he is 32.5 inches and weighs 26.2 lbs when i can see his ribs sticking out when he is standing.

JennyD1978 replied to Ihgirl1066's response:
My son was 4 month premature. He weighed a whopping 1lb 11ozs and 13 3/4 inches long when he was born. Now he is 16 months old. At his 15 month check up he only weighed 17lbs 2ozs. His doctor was little worried about him being underweight, so she wanted me to get him another 8oz bottle of formual in a day. Then we went to his nicu check up appointment, and they prescribed him pediasure instead of more formula that because he is over his year old mark now. Plus the pediasure has more calories. My son also had trouble with textures that because he was a premature baby.

phoenix31674 responded:
Have you seen your son's growth curve? Has he been more or less on the same curve all along? If it's yes, then the doc is out of line. If he has jumped up from say the 50% curve to the 90% from his 9 to his 12 month check up, that would be reason for concern. Definitely check a growth curve with his past numbers.

My daughter at 12 months was around 31 inches and 25lbs. She was born about the same size as your son and at age 4 is still on the 95th % curve at 43" and 44lbs. She's the biggest kid in her preschool class.

DS has been hanging on the 50% curve, so he's smaller than she was. He hasn't yet had his 1 year check up, so I'm not sure about his size.

orin34 replied to phoenix31674's response:
Phoenix is right, if they are on the same curve then there is no reason for worry. My sons only uses the chart for this kind of reference.
My son was 24 lbs, 10 Ozs at one year and 30.5 inches long. He has always been around the 75th percentile since birth. His looks are a little deceiving though, even the pediatrician said that he "looks much bigger than he is" but I think that it is just his height, he is actually kind of skinny, he is 15 months now and he still wears 12 month clothes.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My DH and I have 2 beautiful children, our son is 7 years old and our daughter is 17 months old (9/25/2008). We are both full time parents trying to b...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.