Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

DESPERATE NEED OF HELP...
Ihgirl1066 posted:
Our son has never been a good sleeper and has never stopped moving since the day he was born. He finally started takin gd naps around 12-13 months, like 1.5 to 2 hrs a day. When he was about 6 weeks, bedtime started to become a hassle, he'd cry and cry and the only way we could get him to sleep was lay him on the couch on a soft blanket and turn the fuzz up really loud on the tv. At about 13 months he finally started to sleep through the night here and there and was ok with goin to sleep at night. About 6 weeks ago bedtime has gotten crazy, he so tired he cant keep his eyes open yet he wants to keep goin and goin. He's had the same routine since forever, so that hasnt changed. Two weeks ago we tried to take the bottle away which made bedtime even worse, the bottle at least relaxes him. We've tried for a month to just put him in his crib and put himself to sleep but listening to my baby cry for 1-2 hours kills me and we go in an give im a bottle and he goes to sleep.

I dont know what else to try and with the new baby comming in 8 weeks or less, i really would like him to go to bed a lil easier. I guess i would never have imagined at 15 months our lil boy wouldnt sleep through the night and have such a difficult time going to sleep.

mrsjmsr responded:
I would let my child continue having a bottle. If he only needs it for comfort at night, let him have that comfort. With a new baby coming, he is going to feel insecure and jealous. Trust me, i know. My children are 19 months apart. My daughter needed a sippy cup to go to bed every night until she was 2 and sometimes she still asks for one. There is no harm in letting your child have that comfort. As far as sleeping through the night, try to shorten his naps. Make sure he has had enough to eat. My dr told me that sometimes when kids havent had enough to eat at dinner that affects their sleep (causing them to wake up many times). Have you tried playing the radio or his favorite CD at night. My daughter sometimes will fall asleep listening to her Dora christmas CD (played really low, so that she has to keep still in order to hear it). He is getting enough activity throughout the day? Make bed-time a relaxing and calming time of the day. We start by winding her down. Turning the lights dim, laying down and reading a story. Whispering and lessing the noise levels in the house. Then we end with putting her in bed (toddler bed, not a crib so that she feels like a big girl and not a baby like her brother) and turning on some soft music. Sometimes she just lies there listening to music until she falls asleep.

Hope that helps. GOOD LUCK!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi lhgirl,

There are many methods to getting your LO to sleep , but staying consistent and positive with your routine is going to really help the most. If you feel that the nightly bottle calms your son, I would think it is okay to continue, but it is very important to be aware of his oral health. Here is a great Oral Health Problems in Children Overview to look over to avoid your little one's dental health suffering due to his bottle.

Best of luck!
Amelia

Ihgirl1066 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks he deff. gets enough activity during the day, he never sits still. He has his radio at night since he was a tiny and his favorite animals he snuggles up with. We have been doing the same thing as far as a routine since forever, and he went bed fine until recently. It doesnt help at all now that his molars are comming in and on top of it has a cold. And he was finally starting to sleep through the night. Maybe it is all just his teeth comming in, i hope. Most of the time when he wakes now it is just for 10-15 secs and he goes back to sleep, once in a while he just screams/crys and nothing really helps he just has to scream til he's done.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to Ihgirl1066's response:
Best of luck with the teething! I know it isn't easy.

Here is the WebMD Teething Directory with a great deal of information and tips for you and your LO to hopefully get through this period with a little less stress.

Take care!
Amelia

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full-time mother, wife and worker. I have beautiful one year old daughter and an awesome husband. This is our first and only child for now. We ...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.