Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Teething and Fevers Might Not Relate (New Article)
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Do you feel that your LO has had fevers, while teething? Check out this recent article that states this is no longer the case AND out with the topical gels and in with....

What do you think? Do you believe that they are related and how do you all find relief?

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
I haven't found fever in my lo for any of her teeth. She has 4 so far. I do like that the article defined fever bc I feel too many parents medicate before their child is really having a fever.

I do use a natural teething gel occasionally. I'm not worried about the ingredients bc I use it according to directions, rarely and have researched and found that the amount needed for adverse affect is huge so I'm comfortable w using it.

Thanks for sharing this article.
Me,36 Dh, 43 our lo, Lauren McKenna, born 10/12/10

Ihgirl1066 replied to mom2laurenmckenna's response:
My son is up to 9 teeth and basicaly just gets the red swollen gums, but unfortunetly it takes forever for his teeth to come in. The molars have been the worst. They started comming in 4 months ago and the left bottom has fianlly come in. He usually just chews on his finger, if its a day he is really chewing ill give him ibuprofen, aceto. to me is usless in my child.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Neither of my kids have had trouble teething. They don't get fussy nor do they show signs of pain. My DD does tend to drool more when a new tooth is coming in but other than that, nothing.

My niece and nephews are different stories. They had/have every symptom in the book and my SIL has to give them something for the pain.

ClosetRocker responded:
My daughter has 5 teeth, and with EVERY tooth she ran a fever (granted, they pretty much came in 2's). A fever may not be a normal symptom of teething but it is possible. A friend of mine recently told me the same thing that this article is stating a month back when my daughter had a fever of 102. I was super nervous, thinking that my daughter had a bug but surprisingly (or not so much) the fever went away. The same day that I discovered that she had a fever was the same day that I discovered she had swollen gums, it was also the same night that her sleep pattern differed from any other night; 2 days later VOILA, 2 teeth. Trusting my gut would have saved a lot of stress and probably a few gray hairs, it also would have given me a better idea on how to handle the situation and soothe my child. The percentage of children that run fevers due to teething are probably minimal enough to think that they do not exist but trust me there are some out there.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley (25) I have been married to my DH Chris (27) for almost 7 years. We have two beautiful children together. Kaiden (5) and Madison...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.