Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

14 month old biting at day care
angela0603 posted:
My 14 month old son has bitten a few kids at day care. He doesn't do it a whole lot when he is at home, but he has a few times. It seems that when I correct him or raise my voice, he just laughs at me! (he also started slapping me with a grin on his face). I understand he needs to see I am in control. I just don't know how to dicipline him at such a young age. Are time outs effective yet? Several people have said to bite him back, which I am not going to do. Any suggestions? I think that teething has to do with it too. He really is a funny kid, and laughs half the time he does some of these things...he's not doing it when he is frustrated or not getting his way.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Angela,

I'm sorry to hear about your son's recent actions, though they are actually very common. As this Stop Children from Biting article reminds us, toddlers don't understand that biting or slapping actually hurts, therefore, we must reinforce this action not being appropriate and causing physical pain. If he hits you again, get dramatic about the pain that you are feeling and hopefully he will have more of an understanding why this is not okay.

As far as time-outs, check out this 7 Secrets of Toddler Discipline for a new form of time-out that is more understood to those under the age of 3 years old.

Best of luck! I'm sure you can do it!
Amelia

Ihgirl1066 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
My son bit, not at daycare tho. He bit at home, he'd bite my shoulder and when he did id tell him no, put him down and ignore him. he only bit for about a month and got over it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me(23), DH(23), DD(4) 11-25-05 and DS(15 months) 11-12-08 at his 15 month appt he was 24 1/2lbs and 29 1/2in.

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.