Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

When did you stop putting your child in a crib?
orin34 posted:
Has anyone transferred their child to a big boy/girl bed yet?
My son is amazingly strong (He is 15 months) and he can pull himself up and do 'baby pullups' on the counter (his feet actually LEAVE the ground and once his chin was above the counter height).....It is only a matter of time before he figures out how to climb out of his crib (he climbs up and over ANY obstacle in his way, bookcases.... counters.... couches.... you name it... he is truly a climber).
My nephew stayed in his crib until he was 3 and a half and my SIL looks at me like I'm nuts when I say I am thinking about transfering my son to a big boy bed before/around two years old. Honestly, if he climbs out, then the crib is gone.....so I am really just waiting for HIM to 'decide'.
When have you transferred your children out of a crib? (I don't have a convertable crib... and I am not going to go the 'toddler bed' route. If he climbs out he is getting a regular twin bed with a guard rail on the side so he doesn't fall out)

Ihgirl1066 responded:
Well they recommed taking your child our of the crib when they reach 35 inches no matter the age. Our son is 16.5 months and in the next 2 weeks here, as soon as we get the carpet replaced, we will be transfering him to a twin bed in his new room. He is 34.5 inches and baby #2 will be here in the next 2 weeks or so, so he's moving up in the world!

phoenix31674 responded:
We have a convertible so when DD was a little over 2 she climbed out of the bed so I took the front of her bed off. With DS we'll go the same route - when he climbs out we'll take the front off.

KityKatK8 responded:
DD just turned 3 and she is still in a crib - her choice. We thought she was ready almost a year ago, since she looked like she was trying to get out of the crib, and she said she was ready and excited, but that was a horrible weekend. She wouldn't stay in the bed and it turns out she was terrified of the toddler bed.

So, just make REALLY sure DS is really ready, and have a back-up ready in case he decides he doesn't really want to be in a big-boy bed.

GL!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley (25) I have been married to my DH Chris (27) for almost 7 years. We have two beautiful children together. Kaiden (5) and Madison...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.