Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

New also!
cah91410 posted:
Hi!! i am also new on here, and I have a daughter that will be a year old in two days. its great awesome so far, somewhat stressful at times and just plain hard others, but amazing. I do have a few questions though. she is just starting to drink from a sippy cup for a few weeks now. She still has her bottle after every meal, and still only eats baby food. she has three teeth on bottom and the two side ones on top, so I guess i am afraid to give her any solid foods yet. Hope the bottle thing works out. and she still gets up once or twice in the middle of the night to eat! is this normal??

nyoka4u responded:
My DD will be 1 on the 14th also. I have tried the sippy cup with her and she just throws it to the floor. I still give her formula 3 to 4 times a day, she eats stage 3 baby dinners,veggies and fruit, gets baby oatmeal with fruit before bed time and only has one tooth. I have given her big people food I just cut it up small. Things like mashed potatoes, pasta, hamburger etc. There are nights, like last night, that she woke up crying but I think it's because she has more choppers comming in. I cut out feeding her in the middle of the night because the doctor said she doesn't need it, she is a trained night feeder. She's done well without eating all night. Also now that she has a tooth, usless I want to brush it in the middle of the night, she doesn't need the formula sitting on it all night. I don't think it's anything to worry about her waking up during the night. It took a long time before ours would sleep all night.

cah91410 replied to nyoka4u's response:
thanks, that helps. my daughter also eats stage 3 foods and gets a bottle also 3-4 times a day. how did you cut the bottle out at night? i have a dr appt this friday for her 1 year, and last time we were there, she said my d just is in a routine to eat at night, does she need it? no, but thats what she is used to. so what steps do i take to end this?? because i fear she will not go back to sleep without the use of a bottle at night. she also has 3 teeth on the bottom and 2 on top. so i guess i should try more foods. i am just worried about her choking, and this is my first one so i am over worrisome. haha. but thanks again!

Ihgirl1066 replied to cah91410's response:
Dont worry they can eat solid, adult foods without teeth. Look at the elderly, most of our residents dont have teeth and they eat everything under the sun. Just start with small soft items and work on adding new stuff. I started my son on "adult" foods at 10.5 months and by 11 months was totally eating adult foods.

orin34 replied to cah91410's response:
Welcome!
My son is 15 months now. We started him out on food (mushed baby food ) at just before four months. I didn't do gerber though, I just kind of put stuff in the food processor and made my own. The stages never really made sense to me, After he was six months he could have anything he wanted except honey and peanut butter..... I still cut his food into smaller bites and he is learning to bite smaller chunks off larger pieces right now. But we were giving him solid food at a young age and he never had a problem.
It is really amazing how well they do getting up food on their own if they do end up choking on it. My son would start to choke if he shoved too much in and I always gave him a few seconds to clear it out on his own before I would intervene (as a mother this is REALLY hard to do..... it's not as callous as it sounds though, honest!) to this day I have never gotten to the point where I have had to intervene.
The sippy cup we started at about five months old, he is a pro now.... I don't do a bottle or formula anymore though. He went on formula strike at about 10.5 months and formula was the only thing I ever put in a bottle (he got water in a sippy) so since he didn't want formula.... he didn't get a bottle.. I don't think he even noticed that he wasn't offered one anymore.

As far as sleep? it varies and every child is different. My son has been sleeping from 7PM to 7AM since he was six weeks old....... but my nephew was up 3 or 4 times a night for the first year (they are only 3 months apart). They finally transitioned him by giving him more solids and less formula.... and they let him cry it out for a couple nights.
Again, some may think that crying it out is callous and cruel. but to each their own.
My son was also in his crib from day one... he never slept with us or hung out in our bed (maybe once when he was sick with roseola, but other than that he had his own space).

cah91410 replied to orin34's response:
thanks! my dd has done well with her sippy also. she sometimes has apple juice, but most of the time water. when she eats, she eats the 2nd and 3rd baby foods. but most of the time she seems full with one container, the larger plastic one. but at night before bed we give her the bigger jar, the 3rd foods. she eats all that and still takes a bottle to go to sleep. i would think she was full, but maybe not haha. she does wake up a few times at night and sometimes sleeps all night. just depends. she takes a bottle at night to go back to sleep though. i wish that could cease. we try and give her puffs and certain snacks during the day, but they dont seem to hold her. and i am not wired to let her cry it out i wish i were, it would be easier i think, but not able to do that. and lately i have been getting so stressed with little things. and it has really seemed to take a toll on my husband and me. i just dont know what to do sometimes.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a blessed mother of a 1 year old amazing son. He is our only child, but we plan to try again in a couple years to give him a brother or sister. I...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.