Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

What can I do??
BabyDems posted:
omg...my 1 year old has been having these screaming...throwing her body backwards....fits, then she hits when she stops screaming! She does this when I take her off of the couch which she stands on and I don't want to see her get hurt. I keep putting her in her crib for five minutes but I don't know if it is helping her understand that she can't act like this. I am new to this community, and would appreciate any ideas or suggestions to get her back in control!

Thanks

cah91410 responded:
hi! i know somewhat what these are like, my dd does this also. not to an extreme but she does it. like if we pull her off the stairs, or take her off furniture like you said, she is not at the point she smacks at us, and pulls her own hair. this year has been full of ups and downs...but we just try and take her mind off what she was doing. we starrt playing with another toy or whatever. but if she goes back to what she was doing, when then give her a little smack on the hand or take her in anohter room. i know everyone is different, but i know what you are dealing with...hope you find something that works soon.

BabyDems replied to cah91410's response:
Now I switched to putting her in her high chair and facing the corner. The last couple of nights she has been super hard to put to bed....she screams and screams, which it has never been hard to put her to bed. Anyway, I contributed that to her timeouts in her crib. So we'll see how the highchair facing the corner works.....

I have given her taps on the hand, but I don't want to give her the impression that hitting is okay either...so hopefully this works.....we'll see!

Anmar22 responded:
I've been going through this too, started around a year old and now she'll be two in January. If she doesn't get what she wants or you stop her from doing something she wants she gets really upset, she throws herself on the floor screaming, rolling around, kicking her legs. If she's screaming too bad we will usually put her in time out and that usually will at least calm her down. I don't know what else to do, some days I feel all she does is cry. Unfortunately I think it is normal, I just didn't think the tantrums were supposed to start until they were two.

fiannakyn replied to Anmar22's response:
my foster son (16 m) does this. I tell him firmly "we do not play on the couch/whatever" and remove him from the spot, stand between the spot and him and try to redirect him to a toy "Play with your piano instead"

If he starts to scream: I let him scream on the floor for about 30 seconds and make a point to not look at him. He usually quits and starts "behaving" correctly. The rare times he doesnt stop on his own, I pick him up and hold him tightly while still keeping my head turned away. That usually lets him calm down. If he starts to hit or kick, I hold the offending hand/foot and calmly say "we don't hit/kick mommy" if he continues, I pop him into the pack n play for one minute with
Hitting/kicking mommy is a No no, so you have to stop playing because you hit her."

I also ham up "being hurt" when he hits/kicks me. hopeing this will teach him empathy eventually.

DH has a much more direct way of dealing with the fits- he throws one with the boy. That usualy takes about 3 secounds for Sam to stop crying and stare at daddy confused.
Vicky(34), DH(34), DFS(16m) possablily adopting!, DS due Christmas Day, by private adoption.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
I hope that things have gotten better for you, BabyDems and the rest of you mamas as well.

According to our Temper Tantrums Overview , most children under the age of 2 do not understand the message of time out quite yet. Our past expert blogs that, "I would advise that, whenever possible, you make sure the head banging occurs on a carpeted area to avoid any bruises. Then just ignore it as you would any tantrum. I don't know of any way to convince them it's not in their best interest to bang their heads. And, remember: if you pay too much attention to the head banging, you just might prolong this troublesome behavior."

Each situation is different, but making sure that the LO's are safe, not giving the act too much attention and sticking to a routine will hopefully help. Here is a great Discipline Overview that might also give you other ideas.

Take care!
Amelia

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley (25) I have been married to my DH Chris (27) for almost 7 years. We have two beautiful children together. Kaiden (5) and Madison...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.