Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

hitting?
orin34 posted:
I know this was briefly mentioned in another "tantrum" thread. But I don't have the tantrum problem, just the hitting problem.
My son is 15 months old and has JUST started doing this thing where he will hit things/people when he gets upset, and sometimes just for the heck of it.
I will be sitting on the couch playing with him and all of a sudden he will take a swipe at me. In these instances I think he is trying to be funny because he will smile like it is a game. I express my displeasure by giving him "the look" and not playing with him anymore and he totally knows what he did was wrong because he will get the classic "oops" face.
But he will also hit the toy wagon at my moms house when we tell him he needs to put the toys away. So in that instance he is expressing his frustration to an inanimate object that he doesn't want to clean up. But he will also hit people.
So........ you get the idea. We have a problem with hitting. Thus far I have been giving him a stern no, and put him down and go do something else/ ignore him. I am thinking the next step will be a small time out, the whole No and ignoring him doesn't seem to help with curbing the behavior, it lets him no that it was wrong... but his hitting has persisted.
What have you found that works? and about how long did it take for your child to really "get it"?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi orin34,

I'm sorry your little one is starting to hit, but you are definitely not alone. Many children seem to hit at a young age, not even knowing that this action actually causes pain. It is more about the reaction for a lot of kids and the thought of hurting people and/or animals may not be understood, yet. Make sure you explain to your LO that when he hits it really hurts you, others and animals. This worked for my daughter, but won't work for everyone.

Here is a good Guide on Disciplining without Saying No that might be of some help, too. Hang in there!

Best of luck!
Amelia

Spotlight: Member Stories

DH Erich, 26. DD Felicity, 13 months.

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.