Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

How Does Your 1-Year-Old Communicate with You?
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
For some strange reason, my DD's first word was turtle? I still find this strange?!? How are all of you communicating, as your LO's speech and language skills are developing :
  1. Has your LO started to speak?
  2. What was his/her first word?
  3. What word is he/she fixated on at the moment?
  4. Do you use sign language?
  5. What is your favorite word that your LO has created? (such as baba for bottle)

fiannakyn responded:
16 months old
1) Sorta? He'll repeat a few words sometimes and act like he knows what it means but won't say it on his own.
2) First real word I heard was "Puppy"
3) not really a word but he says "DADA" to mean EVERYTHING.
4) No, but I wish he did.
5) Dada-Pthhhhhh (da-da then rasberry) is my DH.

Not bad for only having him 3 weeks
Vicky(34), DH(34), DFS(16m) possablily adopting!, DS due Christmas Day, by private adoption.

Anmar22 responded:
Has your LO started to speak? Yes she's learning new words all the time.
What was his/her first word? First word was Hi but then she stopped saying it for a long time and is just now picking it up again. What word is he/she fixated on at the moment? Si instead of yes (DH is spanish). Also she has to say bye to everything.
Do you use sign language? No
What is your favorite word that your LO has created? (such as baba for bottle) She used to say bibi instead of binki. She says pamamas (pajamas), it's really cute.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to fiannakyn's response:
Not bad at all!

I love that his first word was puppy. Go animal first words! There are a number of great sign language books out there, if you are ever interested. We also found some great flash cards that me and DD worked with and used for words like, "more" and "drink".

Here is an article on Baby Sign Language for anyone who wants to check it out.

Good luck with week 4 and congrats, again!
Amelia

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to Anmar22's response:
How cool, Anmar!

I love that DD is being raised bilingual. That's great and supposedly can have a number of benefits, according to this Being Bilingual Boosts Brain Power article .

I also love the pamamas!
Amelia

orin34 responded:
  1. Has your LO started to speak? Yes, just simple words and names though (he is 15 months)
  2. What was his/her first word? Dada was first and Tessa (my moms dog) was second.......... I came in third at ma mum
  3. What word is he/she fixated on at the moment? Hiyah (hi)
  4. Do you use sign language? Sometimes, I am not very consistent. I use "no" and "stop"
  5. What is your favorite word that your LO has created? My favorite was Momum. I just think its adorable. He still says it sometimes, but for the most part it is now mama

Taylove11 responded:
  1. Has your LO started to speak? Yes, she's 14 months and never stops babbling.
  2. What was his/her first word? Mama
  3. What word is he/she fixated on at the moment? No, no, no! (while shaking head no)
  4. Do you use sign language? No
  5. What is your favorite word that your LO has created? Nani - it's for these banana shaped cookies that she loves and she can't quite say banana.

Ihgirl1066 replied to Taylove11's response:
  1. Has your LO started to speak? Yes single words yet but has started sayin itty itty itty when hes looking for his kitten
  2. What was his/her first word?mama
  3. What word is he/she fixated on at the moment?kitty, its all i hear constantly callin his kitty. And baby is his second fave since our lil girl was just born. I guess he says hot a lot too.
  4. Do you use sign language?no
  5. What is your favorite word that your LO has created? (such as baba for bottle)really doesnt say anything in a funny way, but i do like how he says hot

sarah0323 responded:
  1. Has your LO started to speak? Not yet, but she is talking baby gibberish.
  2. What was his/her first word?
  3. What word is he/she fixated on at the moment? She says anana for Me, my oldest DD and my grandma. She has been saying this for about 6 months now. We really aren't sure what it stands for but you know she wants something when she starts saying it.
  4. Do you use sign language? No
  5. What is your favorite word that your LO has created? (such as baba for bottle)
I have had 2 speech delayed children. I waited until my son was 3 1/2 before he ever said Mama. I'm just happy she is vocalizing. We can't understand it yet but it is more than my boys did.
Me (33), SO (33), DD1 (12YO), DS1 (7YO), DS2 (6 YO), DS3 (4YO), DD2 11/2010.

fiannakyn replied to fiannakyn's response:
I responded a couple months ago when he was 16 months old. Here is 18 month update:

1) yes. He says several words all the time correctly!
2) First real word I heard was "Puppy" (but he never said it again) First consistant word that was clear was "nana" for banana
3) GO! as in go to the car, bath, etc
4) YES! The daycare has been helping us and we use "more", "bath", "eat" and he used "milk" to mean anything he wants as well as milk.
5) Dada-Pthhhhhh (da-da then rasberry) is my DH.(still the same excpet it's now Daddy-Pthhhhhh)
Vicky(34), DH(34), DFS(16m) possablily adopting!, DS due Christmas Day, by private adoption.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Noel (pronounced like the Christmas song). I am 25 years old, and I live in an Illinois suburb of St. Louis, MO with my DH, Johnny (31) and...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.